Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

NO difference in corruption between Des/Mon and Rep/Dem !!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NO difference in corruption between Des/Mon and Rep/Dem !!!

I believe the manuel states that under Republic and Democracy corruption is a "nuisance" and "minimal" respectivly.

Compared to what?!?!

I, like everyone else I'm sure, have noticed that the switchover to higher forms of government hasn't equated into corruption satisfaction.

Did a little experimenting last night. The Chinese Empire controlled most of the continent of North America (huge map) during the late Industrial revolution and did a little revolution to actually compare these corruption values i.e. to distinguish the difference between "rampant" and "minimal". The turn before anarchy ended, I saved the game so as when I reverted to a particular goverment, the same conditons would be present. My results:

Income ----------- Despot Monarch - Commie Repub - Democ
    Total --------------- 1069 -- 1113 --- 1044 - 1579 -- 1587
    From Cities --------- 597 --- 641 ----- 572 -- 1107 ---1115
    To Science --------- 319 -- 356 ------ 250 -- 622 ---- 641
    To Corruption ------ 217 --- 210 ----- 260 -- 355 ---- 340
    Percent Lost ------- 20% -- 19% ----- 25% - 22% --- 21%

I hope the chart is clear.

Between Despotism and Monarchy there is virtually no difference corruption wise. Losing "the whip" and traveling down a dead end tech path makes it a worthless pursuit.

I realize Lenin's dream didn't quite pan out the way he figured, but Communism is by **far** the worst form of goverment...odd since its the last one one can get. Despotism generates more income, adds way more beakers to the science pool and has noticably (for this game at least) less corrupt. Conscripts are worthless and since despotism has "the whip", this seems the way to go if one got tired of war weariness.

Like Despot/Monarch, the differernce between Democracy and Republic is negligible. I have yet to lose a city to propoganda and I captured about 50 enemy workers so the faster worker rate is no help. Going down a dead end tech branch and experiencing 5 turns of anarchy to lower corruption by a whole 1% is utter stupidity.

Going by both percentage and in total terms corruption is *worse* under the higher forms of representative governments than the supposable "rampant" levels of Despotism.

So, it looks as if Civ3 is like Civ1 - stay despotism until the republic is ready and then switch over for the rest of the game. Well, the old saying does go "the more things change the more they stay the same".

How did this get by the beta testing?!?!?!
    Last edited by blackdog2112; January 28, 2002, 16:16.

I would guess that you have more cities than the critical threshold, and because of that, the government type has very little effect.
    Which is stupid, in my opinion.

Comment

Surely you can see that not only did corruption go down but your income increased. Corruption took a smaller piece of a bigger pie.
      Above all, avoid zeal. --Tallyrand.

Comment

Was that chart done in all five governments with the same number of cities at the same population points?? If you just happened to cross a number of cities threshold, it could give you bogus impressions.....

It may be that actual government changes are not immediately affected, i.e., it might be better to wait for a turn (or even 2??) AFTER the government has changed over (that's what religious civs are for, after all).

Comment

Look at it this way:

Code:
          [i]Pure Numbers[/i]
          Government    Despot   Monarch   Commie   Repub   Democ 
          Base          1069     1113      1044     1579    1587 
          To Science    319      356       250      622     641 
          To Corruption 217      210       260      355     340 
          What's Left   533      547       534      602     606
          Code:
          [i]Set Despo's values to 100%[/i]
          Government    Despot   Monarch   Commie   Repub   Democ 
          Base          100%     104%      98%      148%    148% 
          To Science    100%     112%      78%      195%    201% 
          To Corruption 100%     97%       120%     164%    157% 
          What's Left   100%     103%      100%     113%    114%

Comment

Originally posted by Slax
            I would guess that you have more cities than the critical threshold, and because of that, the government type has very little effect.
            Which is stupid, in my opinion.
            Oh, man, no. Not another problem with Civ III!

Your darn right it's stupid - so much about Civ III is stupid.

Comment

If you had looked at my charts, you would see the big difference the governments make!

Comment

The whole goal of the Civ3 design team was to eliminate all methods by which the human player could gain an advantage over the AI.

Therefore it is clearly in keeping with that goal to eliminate the use of government as a strategic factor. And, they did. Eliminate it I mean.

BTW, for those of you wondering why the game is not fun, Soren determined that humans having fun playing is not acceptable. Since the AI cannot experience emotions (having fun) then this is a clear game inbalance. Hence fun got hacked.

Civ3, the best single player strategy experience ever!

My A$$!

Comment

I take it that the term "scientific method" has never been heard around these parts. So far the vast majority of "issues" that people have conjured up in their brains are not the sort of issues that would last if they bothered to do actual testing of their hypotheses; what appears one way in a singular case can hardly be considered as a universal. But within these forums, this "methodology" is in fact the rule. Why not try ruling a gigantic empire, and then see how corruption affects your civilization?

And no, it isn't "stupid" that small civs experience little difference between government types; there is very little to govern. Frankly, I'm not surprised that Communism is a terrible source of corruption for a small civ, since there is a high overhead for that level of bureacracy. But even if the level of corruption IS higher--it would still be useful, and I'd still go straight to Communism away from Despotism, because of the simple fact that possessing multiple cities that are productive is better than having a productive center and useless periphery.

If more people played the game instead of trying to find supposed means by which the player was "cheated" (and the accusations that many of these people make beg for as much suspension of disbelief as any far right/far left conspiracy theory does) then they might be able to have fun.

Comment

Originally posted by FrantzX
                    If you had looked at my charts, you would see the big difference the governments make!
                    I see that communism makes a very big difference, but in the wrong direction. I see that Monarchy makes little difference, confirming blackdogs argument. And I see that there is very little difference between republic and democracy.

So if your intention was to prove blackdog right, good job.

Anyway if he used this on a civ that controlled nearly all of N. America on a huge map, there's little question that he went over the civ size limit. While I think the limit is a good idea in principle, you can't convince me that a communist government managing a gigantic piece of land is going to experience dismal scientific progress when compared to a loosely connected government of warloads governing the same piece of land. The Mongols did some crazy things with saddles I believe, but they never produced a MIG, at least not that I know of (ok that's an unfair example, but my point stands, right?). These numbers indicate a problem with the way governments are represented in the game, regardless of city number limit (in short, communism should ALWAYS be better that despotism, and differences between other governments should be more marked, as well).

I'd like to see some data on smaller civs that haven't crossed over the city number limit. My experience with the game tells me that the differences will be more marked, but probably still not enough.

Comment

This will be a fairly long post.

From post #1:
                      How did this get by the beta testing?!?!?!
                      There is no evidence that this game was beta tested.

From post #3:
                      Surely you can see that not only did corruption go down but your income increased. Corruption took a smaller piece of a bigger pie.
                      This was never at issue. blackdog2112 is comparing corruption levels among the government types. After comparing the five government types he has reached the following conclusion:
                      ...stay despotism until the republic is ready and then switch over for the rest of the game...
                      After playing the game and reviewing his numbers, I agree with him and think his thesis is dead-on. It is one of the more cogent posts on the entire site.

From post #4:
                      Was that chart done in all five governments with the same number of cities at the same population points??
                      Yes
                      ...If you just happened to cross a number of cities threshold, it could give you bogus impressions.....
                      Having a "corruption threshold" based on the number of cities is what's bogus, not the impression it leaves.
                      If there needs to be a "corruption threshold" for the number of cities within an empire, shouldn't there also be a "corruption threshold" within each city? Seriously. If corruption becomes debilitating once I reach a certain level on a planetary scale, it should also become debilitating within each city as the city approaches the population limit or has run out of surplus food.
                      It is preposterous to assume that once a civ reaches a certain point corruption becomes a positive-feedback loop (aka "a vicious circle") that cannot be controlled for newer cities, but it can be contained with relative ease in older cities.

From post #7:
                      Remember the enitre thesis of this post is:
                      ...stay despotism until the republic is ready and then switch over for the rest of the game...
                      Please look at your own chart. The difference between despotism and monarchy is so small as to be meaningless. The difference between republic and democracy is almost non-existent. To be blunt, In Civ3 there is no point to researching either monarchy or democracy.

From post #8: I have no problem with this post. I prefer to use @ss, but to each thier own.

From post #9:
                      what appears one way in a singular case can hardly be considered as a universal
                      I can easily justify taking a single example as a universal example in this instance because my computer works the same way every time I use it. My computer will handle the corruption calculations the same way every time I play the game unless I actively change the equation. If your computer does not do this reliably, you should consider replacing it.
                      If more people played the game instead of trying to find supposed means by which the player was "cheated" (and the accusations that many of these people make beg for as much suspension of disbelief as any far right/far left conspiracy theory does) ...
                      Bite me! At NO TIME did blackdog allege he was cheated! Blackdog put forth a thesis about the various government types based on his own personal results. Nothing more and nothing less. the only person to even mention being cheated is you.
                      ...they might be able to have fun.
                      Unless of course, they define "fun" when playing the Civ series as building a HUGE empire, managing production, building things and fostering a sense of accomplishment. These things have been taken away by design decisions that can only be described as arrogant. It takes huge, well-developed gonads to put an unrealistic mechanism in the game that essentially compels players to play a certain way. to charge fifty bucks for it means those gonads are made of solid brass.

and finally, post #10:
                      but my point stands, right?
                      yes, but you did not need to offer that lame anectdote as proof of a theory about governments? What are you smokin'? We have no way of knowing what the mongols would have accomplished if they had become a country under some other form of government, but we do know that they eventually waned and now are just a pale imitation of thier glorious past. Your choice of the mongols is a good one because it shows the need for a greater difference between despotism and monarchy, but that is getting off topic.

Thanks blackdog. Good post and good theory.
                      "we more often need to be reminded than informed"

Comment

It's not a bad idea to go straight for republic from despotism, I do it all the time. However, there are situations when communism, for instance, is handy. Say if I have a big undeveloped area that I've recently captured and my home area is already built up. All I'll be building in my home area is military units, and it's good to have partial production in the new area to put in some culture.

Further, republic may have similar numbers to democracy, but democracy has a worker bonus and the cities are immune to propaganda. Also, a democracy taking cities from a republic will have fewer resisters. Same with a communist civ taking cities from a monarchy or despotism.

So it's a nice thesis (oh, and let's not forget that the democracy had a higher net income than the republic), but one size doesn't fit all.

"Cogent post", huh. What have YOU been smoking? Term papers?

Comment

Re: NO difference in corruption between Des/Mon and Rep/Dem !!!

Originally posted by blackdog2112

Income ----------- Despot Monarch - Commie Repub - Democ
                          Total --------------- 1069 -- 1113 --- 1044 - 1579 -- 1587
                          From Cities --------- 597 --- 641 ----- 572 -- 1107 ---1115
                          To Science --------- 319 -- 356 ------ 250 -- 622 ---- 641
                          To Corruption ------ 217 --- 210 ----- 260 -- 355 ---- 340
                          Percent Lost ------- 20% -- 19% ----- 25% - 22% --- 21%
                          Two objections. First, income from taxmen, interest and other civs doesn't seem to be subject to corruption as it isn't calculated in the city screen (and as it is always 472 in your example). Therefore, income from cities is probably a better basis to calculate corruption rates. To modify your example:

----------------------- Despot - Monarch - Commie - Repub - Democ
                          Income From Cities ------ 597 ---- 641 ---- 572 ---- 1107 ----1115
                          To Corruption ------------ 217 ---- 210 ---- 260 ---- 355 ---- 340
                          Percent Lost ------------- 36% --- 33% --- 45% --- 32% --- 30%

So 'higher' forms of representative governments do have lower corruption rates after all.

Second, the domestic advisor's income/corruption figures are rather misleading. The first evidence is the small difference in 'income from cities' between Republic and Democracy in your example. After all, with both governments featuring a trade bonus, why should there be any difference between them before corruption? After running some tests, I can only guess that the corruption figures are 'raw' ones, while the figures for science and taxes already incorporate multipliers due to science and tax buildings. Therefore, if corruption goes down somewhat in a city with libraries and marketplaces, income before corruption goes up. In other words, differences in corruption are bigger than they seem at first.

(Another test to verify this assumption: In a city with a library but without a marketplace, income goes up if you raise your civ's science rate at the cost of the tax rate.)
                          "As far as general advice on mod-making: Go slow as far as adding new things to the game until you have the basic game all smoothed out ... Make sure the things you change are really imbalances and not just something that doesn't fit with your particular style of play." - WesW

Comment

lockstep you just proved his point for him, he contends that there is no difference between despotism and monarchy, and similarly that there is no difference between republic and democracy. He never at any point stated that despotism was superior to republic.

[rant]
                            However, he did state that it seems like a waste of time to waste between 2 and EIGHT turns of anarchy(hmm at this point in the game what 80 years to switch from one representative govt to another?) to get 8 gold a turn or .5 additional worker speed, since when you need more workers isnt really that hard to build them, as your cities will have built everything and be stuck at 12 till the industrial era which you can not rush to. Immunity to propaganda is not all that good a trait as espionage is hideously expensive, and i assume that since they say that the comp is on the level then it also has hideously high action costs.

Finally you lose the ability to wage war(the single most important action in the game due to resources,ai acting erratically, keeping up in the tech game without paying through the nose,etc), since with "high" war weariness your civ falls into anarchy QUICKLY if you are defending yourself and attempt to take back cities(ai seems to know where those undefended and under defended cities are, and in one instance ive seen a horsemen charge in and kill a defending musketman... and hold the city all by himself without it flipping back...) and have all 8 luxuries and police stations out the yin yang and have universal suffrage(when your ai opponent has none of these and yet somehow staves off his citizens so they dont burn down everything and screw his govt for 80 years)even before you get the chance to punish the ai so it doesnt immediatly resume the war.
                            /[rant]

edit: Woohoo caught a spelling error before grammar crusade!
                            Last edited by Whoha; January 29, 2002, 23:11.

Comment

Let's not forget that this whole discussion AFAIK (I'm not going back to re-read it) has overlooked waste.

Comment

Working...
                              X