Has this ever happend to anyone else?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Terser

Duly noted. It should also be pointed out that the men who actually undertook the attack now exist only at the atomic level. They did not punch a hole in the Cole and then sail off into the sunset.

As would happen in CiviIII...
    It's unfortunate that political correctness kept the terrorist unit from being carried over from CivII. Unpleasantries aside, it's a realistic problem and not having it detracts from the game.
    Infograme: n: a message received and understood that produces certain anger, wrath, and scorn in its recipient. (Don't believe me? Look up 'info' and 'grame' at dictionary.com.)

Comment

[QUOTE] Originally posted by Encomium

Even more absurd is that bombers canot sink any warship!! Absurd. Totally non-historical. I guess Sid knows nothing about World War Two. [QUOTE]

I don't know which WWII bombers sinking which ships you are talking about. I am a highly read WWII student.

In World War Two, high altitude bombers sinking moving ships was rare. The bomber in Civ 3 represents something like a B17, a high altitude bomber. In Midway battle, among others, B17's tried to hit moving ships, from 12,000+ feet high.

Low level bombers, torpedo bombers. or dive bombers are a different story. Pearl Harbor, Truk, Midway, etc. dive bombers attacking at dives sometimes only a couple hundred feet above the ships.

High altitude bombers were too unmaneuverable, as well as being a big target, to go up against a typical WWII capital ship and expect to survive most low level attacks.

Comment

Originally posted by Terser
        Six posts and nary an apologist in sight

Oh well...guess it falls on me to pick up the slack. Othalias, that Ironclad was not armed with brass cannons. Instead, it was fitted with Silkworm cruise missles that were purchased on the black market. This explains how it was able to take out that first destroyer. As it just so happens, the commander of the remaining vessels were all in the bathroom when the ironclad attacked. This allowed the ironclad to strike quickly and decisively and completely destroy your fleet. Completely plausible (on the Bizzaro world)......

How the hell do you sleep at night?
        If the voices in my head paid rent, I'd be a very rich man

Comment

good point about bombers. We wouldn't complain about bombers not killing ships if there were a special air unit capable of doing so. But the function of that unit would be difficult to implement, and would only be useful until superior anti-aircraft equipment came into being (phalanx gatling gun, sea sparrow anti-aircraft missles, AEGIS technology etc.)

Comment

Thats when you open up the civ3mod.bic file and change the defense and attack rating of the modern units in the game.
            By the editor by right clicking on the file and Open, don't forget to save the old file somewhere on the computer, in case, ................

Comment

Othalias: I´ve never seen anything like this. Could you post the savegame here so I could try it out?

Comment

What do you mean it was rare in WW2. HMS Repulse and HMS Prince of Wales were both sunk by land based high level bombers. They were battleships and they lost. Yet in Civ 3 a bomber or artilery can not sink a iron clad.
                What bull**** it was lazy coding, in order to get the game out.
                I have walked since the dawn of time and were ever I walk, death is sure to follow. As surely as night follows day.

Comment

Originally posted by Deathwalker
                  What do you mean it was rare in WW2. HMS Repulse and HMS Prince of Wales were both sunk by land based high level bombers. They were battleships and they lost. Yet in Civ 3 a bomber or artilery can not sink a iron clad.
                  What bull**** it was lazy coding, in order to get the game out.
                  I think it was a deliberate decision, to not make the game too easy. I'd rather have a hard time than being bored to death, the modern age is uninteresting enough as it is (I want real nukes dammit
                  MonsterMan's Mod: http://www.angelfire.com/amiga/civ3/

Comment

Working...
                  X