X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So, What's Your Favorite Civ ?

I decided on mine, for now. I think.
    Aztec. Military-Religous.
    Starts with Jaguar Warrior that moves 2 and adds an expansionist aspect to the Civ.
    What's yours. and why?
    Rome
    8.54%
    Greece
    3.66%
    Germany
    6.10%
    China
    4.88%
    Japan
    4.88%
    India
    1.22%
    Aztecs
    2.44%
    Iroqois
    6.10%
    Egypt
    13.41%
    Babylon
    9.76%
    Russia
    0.00%
    America
    6.10%
    France
    14.63%
    Persia
    12.20%
    Zulu
    0.00%
    Britain
    6.10%
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
    "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
    He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

I voted Britain

The english are it for me. As for playing style, I'm an empire builder. Thus expansionist is great for me. Let's you get a good tech lead (especially on huge maps). Commercial is good for reaping in those bucks, and thus getting even further ahead in tech

Asmodean
    Im not sure what Baruk Khazad is , but if they speak Judeo-Dwarvish, that would be "blessed are the dwarves" - lord of the mark

Comment

I voted for Germany. My strategy is to concentrate on expansion and peace for the beginning of the game, and I usually begin my military strike around the Industrial age. The Panzer is a great unit that reminds me the true meaning of Blitzkrieg Creating dominance in the Industrial age sets up Germany for great things for the years to follow.

Comment

I choose Rome, because of a misplaced sense of nationalism.
        In een hoerekotje aan den overkant emmekik mijn bloem verloren,
        In een hoerekotje aan den overkant bennekik mijn bloemeke kwijt

Comment

I put Egypt because they are religious, and get anarchy bonus plus temple/cathedral bonuses (good for democracy) and they are industrious...thus better workers, which means for a fast expansion. I'm an economic/political person. My empire with egypt now is dominating the culture so much that it is almost 12 civs equal my one culture rating.
          "I swear by my life and by my love for it that I will never live for the sake of another person, nor will I ask another person to live for mine."

---Ayn Rand

Comment

Well, mine wasn't listed. It's Civ2!

John-SJ

Comment

Greeks. I think they are the ultimate in the building / pacifistic strategy. The commercial gives me an edge in the rampant corruption problem, the scientific helps me with cheap libraries and universities that so dramatically help my culture. And the Hopilite gives me an easy way to defend my cities in the ancient period (plus, I like getting the early golden age from the Hops).

-Satya

Comment

My favorite one used to be Babylon, but lately it's been Japan.

Scientific ability takes a back seat to the leaders a properly managed militaristic country can produce, and religion is worth it just for the cheap temples alone.

Add to that a fast unique unit that requires only iron, has a good attack and defense, and comes along at an opportune time for a solid golden age, Japan rocks.

Apparently people don't agree. At the time of my vote, I was the only one who voted for Japan and Babylon had none.
                Above all, avoid zeal. --Tallyrand.

Comment

The sakkra

The Sakkra: their increased population growth and their subtarrenean abilities, leading to Huge gaia planets with pop. 42 and... Wait, I think this is the wrong forum! Whoops, my bad!

P.S. Will this be posted on the Civilizations forum as well?
                  If you don't like reality, change it! me
                  "Oh no! I am bested!" Drake
                  "it is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong" Voltaire
                  "Patriotism is a pernecious, psychopathic form of idiocy" George Bernard Shaw

Comment

Sorry but I haven't voted yet, but you did give me an idea for a poll. What is your favorite Civ game to play?

BtW, John-Sj, I did read your post, but I thought of that idea before I read your post (as soon as I read the subject title in fact), so it's not like I'm trying to steal your idea. I just wanted to have that settled, ok?
                    However, it is difficult to believe that 2 times 2 does not equal 4; does that make it true? On the other hand, is it really so difficult simply to accept everything that one has been brought up on and that has gradually struck deep roots – what is considered truth in the circle of moreover, really comforts and elevates man? Is that more difficult than to strike new paths, fighting the habitual, experiencing the insecurity of independence and the frequent wavering of one’s feelings and even one’s conscience, proceeding often without any consolation, but ever with the eternal goal of the true, the beautiful, and the good? - F.N.

Comment

I think I'm clearing in my mind on this.

Science is nice, but it can be controlled.
                      Commercial, I'll try to wipe out that Civ early.
                      Expansionist, nice but not what I need.
                      Industrious is really nice, but I can only pick 2.

For me:
                      Militaristic, I like how the progression to elite hastens.
                      Religious, culture is a big deal.

All III needs is to be MP.
                      Last edited by SlowwHand; January 13, 2002, 15:09.
                      Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
                      "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
                      He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

I voted French, but that's only partially true. I like the French industrial and commercial power in large games with fewer civs where I can expand peacefully. Their UU I don't find to be that usefull (especially because I can't upgrade to it), but it does appear at a perfect time to get a fabulously prosperous Golden Age.

However, in smaller games and/or games with lots of competition (i.e. Standard w/ 16 civs) I prefer the Romans. Militaristic is a must for early warfare, and the UU is pretty damn useful in combat. It large numbers, Legions can take cities very effectively and hold them as well... Legions become a moving wall of military expansion.

Comment

i choose American because they rule iun the later game and cuz im american baby!!!
                          oh yea, i noticed that they get a lot more respect from other qorld leaders

and last of all, they are the best civ in real life so its the best
                          Resources Are A *****!!!

Comment

I choose Germany too, because: (1) Panzers, (2) the Scientific trait fits my personality nicely, (3) my favorite color is blue, (4) I don't have to worry about fighting against them.
                            "...it is possible, however unlikely, that they might find a weakness and exploit it." Commander Togge, SW:ANH

Comment

I think the U.S. would be cooler if they were commercial/industrious and had a special cavalry unit sim. to the russians or a special artillery unit. An infantry special unit could be cool, with a +2 offense. Post industrial revolution UU should get +2 to their ability. (The base number is significantly higher for offense and defence of all units.) That would also give the Germans a bigger attack, too.

I haven't seen a modern era golden age, but it sounds like it would just make a lot of pollution. Does it?

Persians have a better UU than Roman

Try the samauri. Good unit, militaristic country.
                              Above all, avoid zeal. --Tallyrand.

Comment

Working...
                              X