No announcement yet.

Top Things We Miss from SMAC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I miss many things, all of which have been mentioned. And as others have put it, what I miss the most is the immersive atmosphere of SMAC.

SMAC is an excellent game but it is easily the best strategy game I've ever had the pleasure of playing when it comes to its atmosphere. The depth of the backstory is simply incredible -- it shows and it really adds to the game. Its clear that SMAC began life as much as a story than as a game.

I was one of the beta test team for SMAC and I can still vividly remember my amazement at the depth of the story that was visible even in the first release we got. The code was really still a late alpha release (huge amounts of features still unimplemented), but the story was virtually complete--well formed and well told, the characters well thought out and the hours and hours that went into the artwork and storyline were impressive. The creativity that went into the backstory and the many ways it shows up in the game sets SMAC apart from everything else I've seen.

My reaction to Civ3 was very different and more than a little disappointed.

Comment

I miss the puke ugly terrain and the confusing and non-sensically named techs and improvements.

If SMAC didn't go the tossy sci-fi route and was more accesible it would probably be remembered as one of the great games of all time.

That said, at least the game had personality, which is sorely missing in most strategy games (including the entire civ series, not just civ 3).

Comment

One, I have to agree with scenery point. The Civ3 map is very pleasant to look at and explore.

As a sci-fi gamer, if it weren't for the sci-fi aspect of SMAC, I wouldn't be here.

The sweep of human history gives a very strong story line to Civ3. It's hard to say why it isn't as immersive as SMAC despite some significant improvements in AI performance and gameplay.
        Creator of the Ultimate Builder Map, based on the Huge Map of Planet, available at The Chironian Guild:
        http://guild.ask-klan.net.pl/eng/index.html

Comment

Working...
        X