Civ-Specific Units We'd Like To See:

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Civ-Specific Units We'd Like To See:

I was just pondering some special unit opportunities that the game creators might have missed out on... after all, why should there be only one special unit per civ?

English:

Crusader - Replaces Knight... maybe gets an added attack bonus?

Puritan - Replaces Settler after Monotheism? ... reduced pop. cost?

French:

Trebuchet - Replaces Catapult - added distance on siege attacks?

Foreign Legion - Replaces Marine - ability to heal in enemy territory?

German:

Luftwaffe - Replaces Fighter - not sure if you can do this already, because I've never seen it happen, but would be capable of making "great leaders" and "armies" of air units.

U-Boat - Replaces Submarine - Same attack benefit as Privateer (won't start a war)

Japan:

Kamikaze - Replaces Fighter - "Bombing" icon sends plane to a fiery death, causing "cruise missle" damage

Chinese:

Martial Artist - Replaces Warrior - Added defense bonus

Laborer - Replaces Worker - 50% bonus when building roads/railroad

Greek:

Philosopher - Replaces Scout - Can convert enemy workers

Roman:

Mobster (hey, they're Italian) - Replaces Explorer - Can destroy enemy improvements

Aztec:

Guerilla - Replaces Marine - Movement bonus in jungle and mountains

Iroquois:

Brave - Replaces Longbowman - Added attack bonus

Persian:

Fanatic - Replaces Explorer - Capable of "self bombardment" with cruise-missile damage.

Zulu:

Warlord - Replaces Rifleman - Added attack bonus

Egyptian:

Mummy - Replaces Spearman - Defensive bonus

Babylonian:

I can't even remember what their current special unit is... Some of these centuries-dead cultures are a little tough, you know?

Russian:

Spetznaz - Replaces Paratrooper - Can attack same turn as airdrop, or have 2 attacks/turn

American:

Apache Longbow - Replaces Helicopter - Capable of bombardment attacks

CNN Reporter - Replaces Explorer - Will not be attacked by enemy unit or barbarian unless within one square of city, even in wartime.

Comments? Suggestions?
    Infograme: n: a message received and understood that produces certain anger, wrath, and scorn in its recipient. (Don't believe me? Look up 'info' and 'grame' at dictionary.com.)

Actually I think that a few of those suggestions are pretty dumb. The Roman Legionaries are just fine for instance - they are after all what made Rome great, and without them, you'd have a problem.

The French were never known for skill at siege warfare, and I don't think the Foreign Legion idea is that good either.

German weapons were only superficially better than those of their enemies, there were just more of them and the Germans knew how to use them better. Plus the U-Boat idea, it would be a cool game advantage but not very realistic and VERY unbalancing. I mean, that would be a Privateer that is invisible and has a chance against almost anything. It'd be practically impossible to avoid a constant naval war aganst the Germans if they built a lot of these, and if MP is released, the Germans would be incredibly powerful at sea.

The Kamikaze idea is also a bit insensitive, I mean they're not exactly a symbol of Japanese history are they?

In general I think all of these ideas are kind of weird, though the CNN Reporter is funny.

The Persians could have 'light infantry' type thing, since they actually did most of their fighting with lightly sarmoured, fast troops carrying slings and spears. The Immortals were a sort of elite force. SO:
    Persians:
    Slinger: replaces Archer, +1 Movement point.

Comment

Also, with regards to the English, Crusaders weren't unique to England and the Puritans weren't settlers or colonists.

Comment

mobsters. lol that is my type of game

Comment

Well, most of the post was tongue-in-cheek...

I mean, I didn't seriously expect Sid to put Egyptian Mummies in Civ IV...
          Infograme: n: a message received and understood that produces certain anger, wrath, and scorn in its recipient. (Don't believe me? Look up 'info' and 'grame' at dictionary.com.)

Comment

I never understood why the longbowmen are available to all civs.
            This was a purely English unit (Man-of-War? give me a break All European sea powers of the time built similar ships).
            But while the English developed Longbows most other powers concentrated on the X-bow.

Mummies?
            CNN?

anyways--Good post-most entertaining
            Die-Bin Laden-die

Comment

Mummies?

What next? French Gargoyles, or maybe just a defensive bonus to cathedrals.
              Chinese Dragons?
              English - King Arthur?

Who needs scenario capabilities with unit ideas like these?
              Consul.

Back to the ROOTS of addiction. My first missed poll!

Comment

Originally posted by MrWhereItsAt
                Mummies?

What next? French Gargoyles, or maybe just a defensive bonus to cathedrals.
                Chinese Dragons?
                English - King Arthur?

Who needs scenario capabilities with unit ideas like these?
                High flattery, indeed...

That gives me a few more ideas.....

French:

Humpback - Replaces Swordsmen - only in cities with cathedrals.

American:

Cowboy - Replaces Rifleman - no bonus, but the animation and sound effects (think ten gallon hat and spurs) would be worth it

English:

Secret Agent - Replaces Mechanized Infantry - Imagine James Bond driving Q's latest BMW, Jaguar, etc.... Requires Intelligence Agency and Miniturization

Aztec:

Bandito - Replaces Cavalry - Produces great leader, Pancho Villa

German:

Zepplin - Replaces Helicoptor - Includes self-bombardment option. Can be used to transport non-mechanized units, but not recommended.

Egyptian:

Tomb Raider - Replaces Infantry - Why aren't there any female units in this game, anyway?

Comment

How about a Lion for the Romans?
                  It would naturally be an early unit.
                  Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
                  "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
                  He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Hmm

English - 'Cambridge Spy' - Actually spys for Russians

Russia - 'Russian Conscript' - Costs nothing, automatically attacked by own troops.

France - 'Striking Worker' - Doesn't work, Blocks Roads
                    Last edited by Risky; January 9, 2002, 12:03.

Comment

Originally posted by Risky
                      France - 'Striking Worker' - Doesn't work, Blocks Roads
                      Don't forget that the "Chance-to-Strike" probability per turn would be something like 50% .
                      "If you doubt that an infinite number of monkeys at an infinite number of typewriters would eventually produce the combined works of Shakespeare, consider: it only took 30 billion monkeys and no typewriters." - Unknown

Comment

And we thought the corruption model was bad already... think of what striking workers would do to productivity.

Comment

Working...
                        X