No announcement yet.

Which Tribal Attributes Do You Prefer ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which Tribal Attributes Do You Prefer ?

I was boycotting buying, and I guess I still can; but I got Civ III for Christmas.

The titles says "Tribal", which shows how I think.
    So which attributes, and why?
    Indusrious and Militaristic
    4.42%
    Scientific and Commercial
    4.42%
    Militaristic and Scientific
    1.77%
    Industrious and Scientific
    8.85%
    Militaristic and Religious
    2.65%
    Religious and Commercial
    3.54%
    Expansionist and Religious
    3.54%
    Industrious and Religious
    18.58%
    Religious and Scientific
    14.16%
    Expansionist and Scientific
    0.88%
    Industrious and Expansionist
    4.42%
    Industrious and Commercial
    26.55%
    Militaristic and Commercial
    4.42%
    Militaristc and Expansionist
    1.77%
    Expansionist and Commercial
    0.00%
    Last edited by SlowwHand; January 4, 2002, 19:49.
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
    "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
    He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

It has to be Industrious and *something*. The something can be commercial, military, scientific, or even expansionist. But if it is not Industrious, I just go nuts waiting for anything to get done. (When I was playing, that is)
    Civ2 Demo Game #1 City-Planner, President, Historian
    Civ2 Demo Game #2 Minister of War,President, Minister of Trade, Vice President, City-Planner
    Civ2 Demo Game #3 President, Minister of War, President
    Civ2 Demo Game #4 Despot, City-Planner, Consul

Comment

I like having the scout that expansionists get, but seem settled, for now, on the German Militaristic/Scientific outlook.

Been wondering about you, cavebear.
      Taking a sabbatical?
      Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.

Comment

Militaristic is a must. And since i HATE inefficiency, i couple that with Commercial. That means Romans for me. Also i get their Legions which are IMO the BEST Ancient unit, assuming i have (easy) acces to Iron.

Militaristic; because otherwise the chances of getting a Leader are too small and i NEED leaders for various reasons. One of 'em is to get the Collosus, Copernicus, Newton and SETI in my capital regardless of production. Also, i want most Great Wonders of the Middle Ages, so assuming i don't have too much of a tech lead (and i usually don't) i need to have them installed quick.
        Also Militaristic because i make it a policy to eventually capture ALL trade resources. That's because the AI offers horribly lousy deals. I want quid pro quo, but nooo they want my Gems AND Silk for their Spice. Well that's just not gonna happen! Doesn't their advisor tell them i'll probably be insulted by their ridiculous proposals? Do they even care? Anyway, unless they're willing to make a fair trade (and they never are), i go in and take it.
        Which brings me to the next benefit of Militaristic; cheap Barracks and Walls (harbors too?). When i land on some hostile shore (always go for the resources nearest the coast) it helps if the City Walls and Barracks are cheap. Walls are practically free (10 shields) Always bring a cheap warrior or two to disband to pay for those extra expensive first shields. You know the enemy'll send everything they've got to get rid of you, so cheap Walls and Barracks are essential.

Commercial; because as i said, i HATE inefficiency. Also, early in the game when everything is difficult i need every cent i can get. If the tribe is not commercial, it's going to be even more difficult to get anything done. Also, later in the game, when the number of colonies starts to grow (and i don't mean those ridiculous worker colonies , i mean cities founded for the sole purpose of getting some resource) corruption increases. Being Commercial tones it down a bit and makes it reasonably workable.

Some other attributes i've found interestng, and i've tested them, but during all testing i've found either corruption to be too high or i could hardly get a leader. For example religious is quite handy, but i've found its benefits don't measure up to Militaristic or Commercial. Other attributes i find ridiculous. Like Industrious; extra fast workers? So what? Just capture more enemy workers. There's always at least two civs on my continent that i wipe out. Their razed cities supply all my worker needs. In the Industrial age you won't see a single Roman worker.
        ugh crud, why won't they fall prey to my Machiavellian schemes?

Comment

Religious is extremely powerful. Cheap temples (can be pop. rushed with 1 pop. immediately), cathedrals, etc. is great. And one turn anarchy allows you to switch between demo & commie as you go in and out of war. Without this advantage, you must be very careful about going to war in the industrial & modern ages. 6/7 turns of zero production is most undesirable.

Comment

I would think more credit should be given industrious than you feel willing, AkwaticDudeCity.
            At the beginning of the game, workers productivity expanding your culture is great.
            And even if you capture all your workers eventually, they still work faster.
            I don't have a problem with that at all.

Comment

I find Commercial and Industrius very much to my liking.

Which means I'm French. Bah.
              No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

Comment

I can't play civ if I don't have Industrial
                The willow knows what the storm does not; that the power to endure harm outlives the power to inflict it

Comment

the ranking of the attributes depends on gameplay style and the difficulty level at which you play. If it is possible to speak generally I would choose religious as the one attribute I tend to favour at all levels. It helps with cultural assimilations in peaceful low level games, and helps you hold on to your own and captured cities on the higher levels where reversion and defection are _coughs_ otherwise quite prevalent. Militaristic is also very nice at higher levels, so bring on the Aztecs. At lower levels the Babylonians are my favourite, with Egyptians also nice

Comment

I started a game this morning and was going to try Chinese for their attributes, Monarch level.
                    But then I noticed that the description on screen didn't match manual. Must be covered in revision notes.
                    Expansionist is still pretty good early, with that scout zipping around uncovering the land.

Comment

Religious is probably the most important for me. Being able to switch between governments fast is a very handy feature, not to mention the powerful culture you can acquire fast by building those cheap temples.

Expansionist when used right kan be a very powerfull attribute .. just keep that scout looking for Goody Huts and gather in those extra techs and units right in the beginning when they are most valuable.

Right now I'm playing the Iroquis and whipping the ass of Germany and America

Comment

If you want culture, go for scientific, you get cheap libraries which gives you 3 culture insted of 2, and 50% science.
                        You've got to research literature first, but untill then, just keep on expanding. You also got cheap universities, which are 4 culture, the highest for any normal improvement.
                        <Kassiopeia> you don't keep the virgins in your lair at a sodomising distance from your beasts or male prisoners. If you devirginised them yourself, though, that's another story. If they devirginised each other, then, I hope you had that webcam running.
                        Play Bumps! No, wait, play Slings!

Comment

I find that religous and commercial best suit my tastes, which means i'm mister ghandi. i play ghandi correctly, which means i crush my enemies beneath my sandaled feet, as anyone who has played against him in the past few games knows.

Purely from a UU point of view, i prefer the persians, their immortals are perfect for ancient age conquest.
                          By working faithfully eight hours a day, you may get to be a boss and work twelve hours a day.

Comment

I like the Indians too myself. The first time I tried them, I had let the computer decide at random for me. But wow. I played my first succesful game with them, and I think their UU rocks. You don't need horses OR iron, comes at a time I usually start my waring career, has the same defense as the pike-dudes, and (of course) is a two move unit, which makes them all the more likable. But I'll be trying some other civs out eventually.
                            Visit My Crappy Site!!!!
                            http://john.jfreaks.com
                            -The Artist Within-

Comment

I tend to like Militaristic society with anything. But I still like the Japs for their Samurai, I mean no nead to get those silly horses, and the are ideal for getting leaders by slaughtering warriors.
                              I don't particullarly like religous or expansionists.
                              Grrr | Pieter Lootsma | Hamilton, NZ | grrr@orcon.net.nz
                              Waikato University, Hamilton.

Comment

Working...
                              X