Wonder movies.Why no more?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Jeffrey Morris FIRAXIS
    Wonder movies were never part of the plan, because they take between 2-4 weeks to complete...each! For the 20+ such structures in the game (not including small wonders), it would have consumed a significant chunk of the total art time. Further, they're things that most players skip after one viewing, if that. In the end, while they're certainly fun, we felt we could get more repeated 'bang for the buck' by spending that energy elsewhere. Examples: More unit models and animations (era-ized leaders/workers/settlers/armies being prime examples), diverse backgrounds, states and eras for diplomacy heads, and culturally diverse cities and citizens. And we still delivered some stunning wonder portraits in their place.

Hope that helps.

Jeff
    Any chance you might answer the question about group movement? There've been five threads on the matter with unanimous expressions of support.
    "Entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatum." — William of Ockham

Comment

yup sure does.

how about a little customization feature wherebye we could add our own movie ai?

all you would have to do is provide a hook..with like an option
      to see wonder movie. If there was no file assigned, the option would be greyed out.

Not something to be done now..but maybe in future designs to cut expenses while providing the possibility.

The graphics are indeed great in this game. The only other graphic issue i have is the lack of reward for winning the game.
      But then i am the kind of player who really loves cutscenes.

Comment

...because clearly we'd like to view the asinine 3D bobbing heads in as many ways as possible.
        I've been on these boards for a long time and I still don't know what to think when it comes to you -- FrantzX, December 21, 2001

"Yin": Your friendly, neighborhood negative cosmic force.

Comment

Re: yup sure does.

Originally posted by Redstar
          how about a little customization feature wherebye we could add our own movie ai?

all you would have to do is provide a hook..with like an option
          to see wonder movie. If there was no file assigned, the option would be greyed out.
          Yeah, a hook would be nice. I'd add the civ2 movies. They wouldn't cover all the wonders, but most of them.
          I think I probably watched at least some of the movies in every civ 2 game I played.

Robert
          A strategy guide? Yeah, it's what used to be called the manual.

Comment

Hi All,

First of all I want to thank a lot Jeff of Firaxis giving civ's fans the possibility to discuss with the programming team.

Regarding Wonder Movies I have a question:If they takes so much time each and players do not see them more than 20 times in a game life why don't you take an (2 minutes long) historical tv movie (capturing it with cameras) and convert to mpeg or something like this?I am almost sure this won't take more than 1 week total,merging them (why not?) with old existing improved civ2 movies.
            Then you have to think about the nature of the game that is NOT an upgrade of RISIKO but it a particulary and deep experience of world simulation,so it needs that particular feeling that only veteran players know,the feeling that take CIV 1,2,3 the most beautiful strategy game ever done in last 20 years.

Cheers

Comment

Hi All,

First of all I want to thank a lot Jeff of Firaxis giving civ's fans the possibility to discuss with the programming team.

Regarding Wonder Movies I have a question:If they takes so much time each and players do not see them more than 20 times in a game life why don't you take an (2 minutes long) historical tv movie (capturing it with cameras) and convert to mpeg or something like this?I am almost sure this won't take more than 1 week total,merging them (why not?) with old existing improved civ2 movies.
              Then you have to think about the nature of the game that is NOT an upgrade of RISIKO but it a particulary and deep experience of world simulation,so it needs that particular feeling that only veteran players know,the feeling that take CIV 1,2,3 the most beautiful game ever done in last 20 years.

Cheers

Comment

There are matters of ownership.

A libertarian once again reminds someone of the concept called "property".
                "Entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatum." — William of Ockham

Comment

wonder movies

I knew in advance about the wonder movies, and I agreed with the reasons for not doing them, but now I really miss them. The game is kinda dry without them. Making a wonder is rather rare in this game, you really don't get sick of them. I always watched the wonder movies in civ2. They didn't come up very often. Who told you people only watched them once? I think it provides valueable punctuation to the games progression. I also think the historical replay in this game stinks. It was done better in civ1.

Comment

Originally posted by Gunter
                    Hi All,

Then you have to think about the nature of the game that is NOT an upgrade of RISIKO but it a particulary and deep experience of world simulation,so it needs that particular feeling that only veteran players know,the feeling that take CIV 1,2,3 the most beautiful strategy game ever done in last 20 years.

Cheers
                    I'd rather call this a statement - not a discussion.

Comment

CIV1 to CIV3

Again, who likes Civ2? I'm sick of hearing about it, it's an old game. The movies were part of Civ2, not part of the original Civ experience.

Why don't all these whiners make their own game with movies? I'm doing it right now, but I like WAR so it's a war simulation.

Please make the movies on your own time and provide them to Apolyton visitors. Other contributions have been made, and you can play them when you get a certain wonder. Sounds like fun to some I bet.

Is it worth the effort? I don't think so, imho.
                      Castle Wolfenstein or Civilization 3? So little time...

Comment

I 'm used to build wonders to better manage war,I'm deeply militaristic.

Comment

While, at first, I agreed with the decision not to keep the Wonder movies, I too also miss them. The 2 second movies I get now leave me feeling unfulfilled. I always watched the movies in Civ2 and SMAC, especially SMAC. Those were great.

I don't care about unit animations. I don't care about goofy looking 3D heads.

But then, I've moved on to Europa Universalis II. I'll buy Civ III if and when it becomes playable.
                          Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

Originally posted by Jeffrey Morris FIRAXIS
                            Wonder movies were never part of the plan, because they take between 2-4 weeks to complete...each! ....... And we still delivered some stunning wonder portraits in their place.
                            Since you already have the 3D models, isn't it just a short step away from create a straight forward movie? Just a rotating fly-by of the 3D palace.... this shouldn't take too long.

Better yet, send me the 3D file and i'll make the movie for you! in 2 days! And i'll give you guys the copyright to the movies cuz i'm a nice guy

Comment

Re: CIV1 to CIV3

Originally posted by Jodo Kast
                              Again, who likes Civ2? I'm sick of hearing about it, it's an old game. The movies were part of Civ2, not part of the original Civ experience.
                              Civ 2 is the de facto standard by which most tbs games are judged AFAIK. It was a hugely popular game(and still is). The only real innovation in SMAC was bombardment and(as I remember) mobile units retreating. Otherwise, it was sci-fi like civ 2 with customizable units(which have no place in a historically based civ game and I found exceptionally tedious, but neat, gotta love those airdrop spies ). Anyway, civ 2 had a better interface, and it was much easier to mutilate the ai in that game. Forget stack movement, if the interface in all areas(city, govenor, foreign, diplomacy, etc. could be made to work better, ahem keyboard navigation in diplomacy screens would really help things a lot). My biggest qualm with this game is how you have to use the mouse for so many things that don't inherently need it(ahem, those tiny little circle buttons).

The ai still does stupid things, but it does pleasantly surprise me from time to time. Last night it used a calvary to capture 2 of my workers, which was dumb because I got to kill the calvary for free, but it disbanded the workers because there was no way to prevent me from taking the workers back. It overestimates its advantage if it has higher attack power than the defense of a unit, I just had an elite knight on plains fortified fend off(1 hp remaining at end) 4 calvary from the ai, all were wounded, two at 1 hp and 2 and 2 hp and most attacked across a river. Go figure.

Comment

I usually had the wonder movies turned off. Once you've seen them once that was enough. I'm not fussed to see them go, but that's just my opinion.

>My biggest qualm with this game is how you have to use the
                                >mouse for so many things that don't inherently need it(ahem,
                                >those tiny little circle buttons).

All of them have a keyboard shortcut - look at the back of your manual and the patch readmes.

>civ 2 had a better interface,

I found the interface no more easier nor difficult than civ 2 or smac once I got used to it.

Comment

Working...
                                X