Wonder movies.Why no more?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wonder movies.Why no more?

I suggest to post (like preferred civ or preferred UU) a survey regarding wonder movies' come back.I suggest to post thousands of tons of mails to Jeff asking for one of the best feature of SID MEIER CIV: WONDERS MOVIES!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    It's easy to add that marvellous historical movies instead of funny Christmas cards pictures!HEY SID (THE KING) WE WANNA HEAR YOUR VOICE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1
    Hallo

No, I'm afraid it isn't.
    "Entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatum." — William of Ockham

Comment

What it is not?

Comment

I wouldn't hold my breath. You'd be better off waiting for another company picking up the idea and improve on the foundation of SMAC/CTP. I'm done with Firaxis.

Comment

I agree Sire

"While the men of learning play with their quill pens Sire. The city defences stay as thin as parchment. BUILD CITY WALLS!!!" (Civ2 military advisor)

Yup, those advisors can still kick ass

Skeptics should forego any thought of convincing the unconvinced that we hold the torch of truth illuminating the darkness. A more modest, realistic, and achievable goal is to encourage the idea that one may be mistaken. Doubt is humbling and constructive; it leads to rational thought in weighing alternatives and fully reexamining options, and it opens unlimited vistas.

Elie A. Shneour Skeptical Inquirer

Comment

Enigmatic answer for non mother tongue poster

Comment

It's [NOT] easy to add that marvellous historical movies instead of funny Christmas cards pictures!

Comment

i miss the manhatten project music >(

Comment

Originally posted by Libertarian
                  No, I'm afraid it isn't.
                  Um, WHY do you suggest that it'd be difficult to add Wonder Movies?

SMAC had 'em. Civ2 had 'em. If I'm playing Civ3 and build Hoover Dam, I can then manually go into my Civ2 directory and manually watch the good old Hoover Dam movie. That's not too difficult.

But somehow you know that it would NOT be an easy thing to do?

As a fellow Libertarian, I wonder about you sometimes...

Comment

sure it would be

just a call to an avi file. (non programmer alert!)

the hard part would be having to make the actual movies (well hard as in time, resources, money)

but if they could lift a few from civ2...

Comment

As a fellow Libertarian, I wonder about you sometimes...
                      What a weird thing to say. How the Noncoercion Principle has any bearing on whether producing movies is more or less difficult than drawing pictures is beyond me.

Comment

Originally posted by Libertarian

What a weird thing to say. How the Noncoercion Principle has any bearing on whether producing movies is more or less difficult than drawing pictures is beyond me.
                        Don't overanalyze, Lib. It just seems to be a *stupid* thing to suggest it'd be difficult to add Wonder Movies. And I'm surprised by libertarians who make *stupid* comments.

Comment

Originally posted by zoyd

Don't overanalyze, Lib. It just seems to be a *stupid* thing to suggest it'd be difficult to add Wonder Movies. And I'm surprised by libertarians who make *stupid* comments.

It's easy to add them. It's hard to make them. Have you ever made a movie? Making a slick 30 second digital movie takes a while. Making 20 or more of them takes a lot longer. I'd love to see that sort of thing, but there's no way it's going to get retrofitted into the game. Besides, how many of you watched the movies after the first couple times? I know I didn't.

Comment

Wonder movies were never part of the plan, because they take between 2-4 weeks to complete...each! For the 20+ such structures in the game (not including small wonders), it would have consumed a significant chunk of the total art time. Further, they're things that most players skip after one viewing, if that. In the end, while they're certainly fun, we felt we could get more repeated 'bang for the buck' by spending that energy elsewhere. Examples: More unit models and animations (era-ized leaders/workers/settlers/armies being prime examples), diverse backgrounds, states and eras for diplomacy heads, and culturally diverse cities and citizens. And we still delivered some stunning wonder portraits in their place.

Hope that helps.

Jeff

Comment

Originally posted by zoyd

That certainly caught me off-guard.

Comment

Working...
                              X