"Won't acknowledge your envoy"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

snotty AI

Boy do I ever agree! In my current game (Marla's Earth map, as the french), I have the English reduced to the miserable town of Hastings on Ireland.

In my last diplomatic exchange to me, not only was she rude, but she closed with:

"....then I, Elizabeth, ruler of too many places to name....blah....blah...BLAH"

and I felt like saying, NO....you're the ruler of a single size 4 town, you wench! And you're only alive because I haven't seen fit to end the miserable existence of your entire civilization!!!

GRRR....

::Rodney Dangerfield voice::
    I get no respect....no respect.....

-=Vel=-
    The list of published books grows. If you're curious to see what sort of stories I weave out, head to Amazon.com and do an author search for "Christopher Hartpence." Help support Candle'Bre, a game created by gamers FOR gamers. All proceeds from my published works go directly to the project.

Comment

I have noticed the AI seems more likely to agree to acknowledge my envoy immediately after I have taken a city of theirs. If I try at the start of a turn before attacking they are more likely to ignore my envoy.

Comment

I was playing a six-player game, two continents. I was on the larger one, and had invaded all three of my neighbors (Chinese- gotta love Riders). The smaller continent had the English and the Persians, and the Persians had mostly conquered the English. I was winning the game easily, and was about three turns away from a spaceship victory, when one of my cities built the U.N.

Wisely, I chose not to call an election. The English and Persians IMMEDIATELY declared war on me. Their ironclads and galleons full of knights and Immortals (and even a few Cavalry!) landed on my shores. Of course, my AEGIS cruisers, mechanized infantry and modern armor made short work of them. I delayed finishing the spaceship long enough to built 20 ICBMs and hit every enemy city over size 6 (with two shots on each capital just to be safe). Incidentally, my score went up.

Point is, the AI doesn't exactly make rational decisions here.

Comment

[quote]It was with some pleasure that I wouldn't acknowledge Alexander's envoys when he finally started squealing for peace.[quote]

Reminds me of a Star Trek Next Gen episode.

Alien race thinks humans are inferior. Won't talk, very arrogant. Finally Picard finds a part of the LOOOONNNNGG treaty that will benefit the Federation. The ball's in his court. The aliens hail the Enterprise:

Worf: Sir, the Sheliak are hailing us...
          (beeping of hail notice is heard)
          Picard walks over to the ship's dedication plaque.
          (beep beep)
          Riker: Captain?
          Picard wipes dust off the plaque.
          (beep beep)
          Picard walks over to his chair
          Picard: On screen.

Later:
          Riker: "You enjoyed that."
          Picard: "You're damned right."
          One OS to rule them all,
          One OS to find them,
          One OS to bring them all
          and in the darkness bind them.

Comment

Xentropy -

I guess that's possible - no action may make the war weariness go down.

Alas, I am a man of action...

Venger

Comment

Re: I highly agree

Originally posted by TheHobbit

All I mean is the AI thinks too highly of itself even if its civilization sucks.
              And that is unrealistic how?

Comment

Perhaps the AI is irrational (or, rather, poorly programmed), but haven't you ever played a MP game where at least one of the players goes into "bitter me" mode and won't agree to anything, no matter how reasonable the proposal. There are times when even human players decide "well, f*** it, I'm just going to fight to the death" even when they could take peace and perhaps recover their position.

Also, sometimes when it's clear that someone is in position to win the game, human players will make a desperate assault on the leader to try to keep him from winning, even if it means flinging your knights and swordsmen at his mechanized infantry and armor. I mean, if you're going to lose anyway, why not go down swinging?

Just my observations from numerous MP gaming sessions....

Comment

Originally posted by Venger
                  Xentropy -

I guess that's possible - no action may make the war weariness go down.

Alas, I am a man of action...

Venger
                  Heh, I'm pretty active in my wars as well. My point is, the way war weariness works on regent level at least seems to me how it SHOULD work. If you're actively waging a war, as long as you're WINNING, you can be in the same long war with the same enemy for five hundred turns without your democracy falling.

I don't understand how a democracy can ever fall, unless you're losing badly anyway, since one of three things happens:

1) Neither of you is very active in the war, war weariness drops;

2) You're taking a city every other turn, war weariness drops;

or, 3) You're getting your ass kicked, war weariness is the least of your problems.

I know the third isn't happening to you, Venger, since I've seen your accounts of two hundred cities, blitzing an AI and killing them the same turn you declare war, etc. So what is happening? Give an example of what's going on in a game where your democracy falls? It seems to me war weariness may be set to act differently on higher difficulty levels :<

And what are the results of this fall? Can you choose democracy again in 5 turns when the anarchy is done? Or do you have to choose something else, but can then go right back into anarchy to go back to democracy? You act like this one thing kills your game, so is it even worse than either of those, it locks out democracy for the rest of that game?!

Mostly just trying to understand what causes this for others so I can continue my streak of it never happening to me in ~15 games despite being consistantly warlike and republican/democratic ;>

Comment

Originally posted by Xentropy
                    Heh, I'm pretty active in my wars as well. My point is, the way war weariness works on regent level at least seems to me how it SHOULD work. If you're actively waging a war, as long as you're WINNING, you can be in the same long war with the same enemy for five hundred turns without your democracy falling.
                    This is utterly incorrect. I have had my Democracy take a hit THREE times - the last time I said screw it and changed Democracy to Republics war weariness - it was the only way to not throw this game out the window.

I don't understand how a democracy can ever fall, unless you're losing badly anyway, since one of three things happens:

1) Neither of you is very active in the war, war weariness drops;

2) You're taking a city every other turn, war weariness drops;

or, 3) You're getting your ass kicked, war weariness is the least of your problems.

I know the third isn't happening to you, Venger, since I've seen your accounts of two hundred cities, blitzing an AI and killing them the same turn you declare war, etc. So what is happening? Give an example of what's going on in a game where your democracy falls? It seems to me war weariness may be set to act differently on higher difficulty levels :<
                    I am kicking the AI's ass. I lose very few units (because the units and resources model breaks the AI) and am rolling them up. My government simply falls, mind you, I have 300 military units rolling overseas. I am convinced that it's due to my rate of city accumulation - something in the algorithm is making my government fall because I am winning too fast.

Venger

Comment

This is utterly incorrect. I have had my Democracy take a hit THREE times - the last time I said screw it and changed Democracy to Republics war weariness - it was the only way to not throw this game out the window.
                      What difficulty level do you play? The way I stated the game acts is not incorrect, it is exactly what happens in MY game on MY computer on regent level. My next game will be Monarch so maybe I'll be able to tell then what changes at higher difficulties.

I am kicking the AI's ass. I lose very few units (because the units and resources model breaks the AI) and am rolling them up. My government simply falls, mind you, I have 300 military units rolling overseas. I am convinced that it's due to my rate of city accumulation - something in the algorithm is making my government fall because I am winning too fast.
                      This doesn't make any sense either, since, to use the game I'm currently playing as an example as it is fresh in my mind, I just took over 23 German cities in 4 turns using approximately 120 units (after about 15 turns of lead time just getting my units OVER there; this was across the water). War weariness turned on when they declared war on me, got slowly worse as I attacked them a bit, taking out their front lines.

Then, unit transportation was done, the fight was to begin. First turn, I took 3 cities. War weariness dropped to almost nothing. My people were ecstatic. I almost thought they were getting a happiness BONUS, everyone went into WLTK. Second turn, 6 more cities. WLTK continued, started new in a couple of cities in fact. Then another 6 cities, then they were basically out of units and their remaining cities had little culture to slow me down so I split my calvary up further and took the other 8 the next turn. I lost maybe 4 or 5 units the whole time due to pretty stupid tactics by the AI. Since they were completely destroyed, that war ended, and the war weariness turned back off again.

In other cases I've had wars sit there for hundreds of years without me really wanting to fight it, and I still have yet to see a democracy fall. And if you're at war with two different sides, ending the war with one (by total destruction if they're stupid enough to not accept your envoy) will cut down your war weariness significantly, especially if the other side you're at war with has been sitting idle, only at war on paper, not in reality.

That's the extremes, and neither one has that effect in my games. I've also had games at every point in-between, taking one or two cities every 4 or 5 years, slowly advancing. I've had games where I've lost a TON of units, others where I've lost none. I just don't understand what causes a democracy to fall. Are you not keeping an eye on your cities enough to make sure they don't stay in civil disorder more than one turn in a row? Any time a city falls into disorder, I click the city center to reset the workers and I'm done with it. Just an FYI, I never use % luxuries (haven't moved that slider in any game yet), only entertainers. Could probably do with 10% some games.

Comment

Xen -

I'm just not seeing this - remember, you can't really judge the amount of war wearniess. Mind you, when the government falls, I have the highest approval rating in the game and no cities in revolt - in fact, alot of cities have WLTPD. But fall they do.

If I had a previous save I'd have sent it to you...

Venger

Comment

Xen -

I'm just not seeing this - remember, you can't really judge the amount of war wearniess. Mind you, when the government falls, I have the highest approval rating in the game and no cities in revolt - in fact, alot of cities have WLTPD. But fall they do.

If I had a previous save I'd have sent it to you...

Venger
                          >boggles< Wow, yeah, this all seems really weird to me. If this ever happens to you again, I'd love to see a save :>

And it *would* be nice if, say, the F1 advisor had a "War weariness" value listed somewhere. Just a single number quantifying the overall current weariness of your citizens. It'd be realistic; I mean, what democracy with civil disorder problems WOULDN'T be out polling the citizens about their opinions on the war?

I'd post this idea up front in a new thread to make sure Firaxis sees it, but I don't know that they'd respond either way ;>

Comment

Originally posted by justjake73
                            Reminds me of a Star Trek Next Gen episode.

Alien race thinks humans are inferior. Won't talk, very arrogant. Finally Picard finds a part of the LOOOONNNNGG treaty that will benefit the Federation. The ball's in his court. The aliens hail the Enterprise:

Worf: Sir, the Sheliak are hailing us...
                            (beeping of hail notice is heard)
                            Picard walks over to the ship's dedication plaque.
                            (beep beep)
                            Riker: Captain?
                            Picard wipes dust off the plaque.
                            (beep beep)
                            Picard walks over to his chair
                            Picard: On screen.

Later:
                            Riker: "You enjoyed that."
                            Picard: "You're damned right."
                            YES! I remember that. Man, do I miss Next Gen . . . Oops, sorry, off topic.

Well, while I'm at it . . .
                            ::Rodney Dangerfield voice::
                            I get no respect....no respect.....
                            That was funny, Vel.

Ok, I'm done.

Comment

Working...
                            X