"Won't acknowledge your envoy"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Won't acknowledge your envoy"

What the hell. I started a war with the Iroquis in 1918. I quickly overrun their must populus city on turn one. OIn turn two I captured their city. The won't accpet my enoy by 1935, so I attack another city and take it. They sign a MPP with England, so I turned that against them by signing one with England to. I sat by and let the Iroquis attack me and now I have England on my side. Everything is stacked against them in 1942 - and they still won't accpet my envoy. Add this to the next patch list .

Add what to the next patch?

Making the AI give up more easily?

Why are you seeking peace if all the odds are in your favour anyway?

Comment

Well, Al Qaeda isn't acknowledging the U.S.' envoy either.

Go figure..

Comment

I had similiar events in my game too.

Playing on regent it I had to take five cities, before they would listen to me and even then they thought that I wasn't knocking on their doors.

So try to take five cities and then contact your worthy opponent.

Comment

Yeah... the best way to get them to talk to you is just to keep crushing them. Eventually, they WILL talk

But what really ticks me off is... you are having a great little war with some one, usually over a strategic resource. During that time, another civ gets involved due to a MP pack with who you are fighting with. You take the resource, and then make peace with your original opponent... But the new guy won't talk to you, even though you have made peace with the person that dragged him into war in the first place. Makes a lot of sense
          Keep on Civin'
          RIP rah, Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

I agree with Ming.

If they will not talk to you, then there is only one proper response.

March a largish army up to their nearest city, and loudly announce:

All Your Base, Are Belong To Me!

::nods::

Yep....that'll do it....

-=Vel=-
            The list of published books grows. If you're curious to see what sort of stories I weave out, head to Amazon.com and do an author search for "Christopher Hartpence." Help support Candle'Bre, a game created by gamers FOR gamers. All proceeds from my published works go directly to the project.

Comment

Vel has a beer and cheets on Yin (n/t)

n/t

Comment

The AI will, at times, allow you to totally destroy them without EVER seeing your envoy. This has happened multiple times. The Russians started a fight, which I didn't want, I took their cities 4 at a time, sacked the capital about 6 different times, and NEVER was able to have diplomacy.

The Russians, who again attacked me along a shared border, had an MPP with the English and French. Neither of these Civs will take my Envoy either, despite the fact that I am rolling the English up at 4 cities a turn. Same for the French.

It almost seems like it's a game design that makes peace unattainable for a democracy, forcing the government to fall. And it sucks.

Venger

Comment

And thats the other thing. If your at war - but don't go to combat with a civ - they should be willing to accept your envoy quicker.

Comment

Cold Wars should NOT affect Democracy

Playng on some huge maps, I've banished AI Civs to the other side of the globe (how they got there I don't know), where they refuse to make peace despite the fact that we have no way of waging war on each other.

It screws my democracy, and I have no way of forcing them to the table.

If there has been no combat between nations at war for a set number of turns (10 maybe?), civs should be able to unilaterally declare peace.

Comment

Re: Cold Wars should NOT affect Democracy

Originally posted by LostLamb
                      Playng on some huge maps, I've banished AI Civs to the other side of the globe (how they got there I don't know), where they refuse to make peace despite the fact that we have no way of waging war on each other.

It screws my democracy, and I have no way of forcing them to the table.

If there has been no combat between nations at war for a set number of turns (10 maybe?), civs should be able to unilaterally declare peace.
                      Or at least to be able to negotiate a Cease Fire. That's one thing that I missed from Civ II.

Happy Yule

E_T
                      Come and see me at WePlayCiv
                      Worship the Comic here!
                      Term IV DFM for Trade, Term V CP & Term VI DM, Term VII SMC of Apolytonia - SPDGI, Minister of the Interior of the PTW InterSite Demo Game

Comment

This does get out of hand on occasion. I think it depends on how mad they (the AI) are at you.

Case in point, the Greeks declare war on me. I promptly seize their three nearest cities, carving up their Hoplites with my Cavalry. I give Alexander a ring, no dice he won't talk.

OK, no prob, I fight my way through a jungle corridor, seizing three more cities for little loss. Still won't talk.

I'm on the verdant grasslands of Greece now. No jungles to slow my Cavalry. I've lost maybe 2-3 UNITS, he's lost 6 cities. Still won't talk.

OK, you painted freak (I mumble to myself), now you are going to get it.

TWELVE cities later, still won't talk to me. I switch to Communism to avoid my government falling down around my ears.

At this point, Alexander's got something like 8 cities left. He's suffered defeat after defeat, lost city after city. I want to make peace because I'm tired of whipping his painted behind, but no dice. Still won't talk.

Finally, in a fit of frustration, I enlist the Iroquois, Japanese, and Russians in the partitioning of Greece. I couldn't attack directly as the Greeks had just signed a MPP with the Zulus, and we shared a long border.

It was with some pleasure that I wouldn't acknowledge Alexander's envoys when he finally started squealing for peace.

Comment

I also think it's too difficult to declare peace.. on the other hand, I don't understand this "fallen democracy" thing Venger and a couple of other people have complained about..

Maybe the chances of a democratic fall are significantly higher at higher difficulties, but at regent, I've been at war as a democracy for hundreds of turns without a break, and while war weariness will go up and down over that period (down briefly as I win wars, up as I'm losing, up slowly over time in general if I don't continue to win, down slowly over time in general if nothing is really HAPPENING with the war), I've never had my people overthrow the democracy altogether..

It seems to me, at least in the games I've played, if you're in one of those "wars" where neither side is DOING much of anything warlike, the people stop caring (war weariness drops slowly). It's only when actively attacking or defending that the people get upset if you lose, happy briefly if you win then upset about you still having the men overseas, etc.

Comment

I highly agree

They need to make something in the next patch to make the AI less snotty. Its just unreal how they refuse to listen and they insult you when they are half your size because they consider themselves a god. I think they need a patch that adds some way to make the AI tremble in fear or get it off its high horse...

All I mean is the AI thinks too highly of itself even if its civilization sucks.

Comment

I would bet that the different Civs act differently. Has anyone ever had Gandhi refuse to talk?

I should also point out that you, as the human player, can do the exact same thing and not listen to an envoy or accept peace, to see if you can drive the opponent's Democracy into revolt.

Seems fair to me!

Comment

Working...
                              X