New ressources ideas ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by sophist

Pure bred horses? As opposed to what, bred with dogs? Domesticated breeds would be the superior ones anyway, as they would be more tame (and more easily trained) and would be bred for strength, speed, intelligence, and so forth.
    I guess I ran into that one With your knowledge of horses - do you have any better ideas - ie perhaps a new building - the stable which allows you to build advanced horse units.

Comment

Hmmm...stables or Hippodrome improvement that would allow horse units. Possible, not a bad idea.

We do reach a point of bulding saturation though.

Still, I think a stables unit could produce horse units with +1 move maybe? A thought...

Venger

Comment

Originally posted by sophist

Pure bred horses? As opposed to what, bred with dogs? Domesticated breeds would be the superior ones anyway, as they would be more tame (and more easily trained) and would be bred for strength, speed, intelligence, and so forth.
        But, put realism aside for a moment. YES, realism is important, but so is gameplay and balance. You need to give those Civs which DO have access to the resource SOME sort of advantage, and one that lasts longer than the ten turns horsemen rule the battlefield.

I'm sure someone can come up with some kind of realistic reason why those with access to actual wild horses would be able to build elite versions of units. And if not, oh well, for most other resources, Venger's idea works great.

And best of all, unlike some ideas, Venger's is easy to put in a mod with even the paltry version of the editor we have now :>

Man, I'm getting the mod-building itch. The only problem is I'm sure anything I make would already have been done, probably better. I haven't even tried other people's mods yet.

Comment

Actually, I can't think of a single good reason why you'd need access to wild horses, once you have 50 cavalry divisions already. Why not breed your own? (E.g., America had no wild horses to start with, they were brought from Europe by the colonists. The wild horses are simply domestic horses that got lost. Either way, it didn't prevent both the colonists AND the native indians from having cavalry.)

The siliness of THAT was the whole reason I proposed cats as a strategic resource.

As for Infantry, I'm still thinking about it, but Latex (natural rubber) definitely is NOT it. Other than condoms and chewing gum, I can't think of anything that COULD even use Latex and the soldiers would need at all. (No, truck tyres are not made of Latex, so even that's not an excuse.)

Same for Marines. Wth do they need Latex for? Those "rubber boats" are actually reinforced synthetic compounds, that don't pop too easily when hit by small arms fire.

Frankly, the whole strategic resource system looks like something slapped together in a hury, not like something based on ANY research.

For the other stuff, personally I modded it as follows:

- Tanks: Oil and Iron. (There are tens of tons of iron in each tank. Don't tell me they're made of Oil and Latex. A rubber tank is at most a decoy.)

- Mech Infantry: Oil, Iron, Aluminum

- Modern Armor: Oil, Iron, Aluminum

Comment

Originally posted by Moraelin
            Actually, I can't think of a single good reason why you'd need access to wild horses, once you have 50 cavalry divisions already. Why not breed your own? (E.g., America had no wild horses to start with, they were brought from Europe by the colonists. The wild horses are simply domestic horses that got lost. Either way, it didn't prevent both the colonists AND the native indians from having cavalry.)

The siliness of THAT was the whole reason I proposed cats as a strategic resource.

As for Infantry, I'm still thinking about it, but Latex (natural rubber) definitely is NOT it. Other than condoms and chewing gum, I can't think of anything that COULD even use Latex and the soldiers would need at all. (No, truck tyres are not made of Latex, so even that's not an excuse.)

Same for Marines. Wth do they need Latex for? Those "rubber boats" are actually reinforced synthetic compounds, that don't pop too easily when hit by small arms fire.
            That's exactly why I started this thread : actually, except for uranium, oil and coal, either we produce synthetic materials, either there is such huge amount of natural ones (iron, aluminium...) that basically nobody lack them in the world. I like the ressources system, but requiring rubber and horses is just silly (one barely has any purpose, other just need to be bred). So I hoped that people would have better ideas than mines to find strategic ressources and allow building of advanced units.
            Science without conscience is the doom of the soul.

Comment

Actually I'm thinking that what the game should really take into account is: cost.

If I lack a resource, I should still be able to build that unit, but each lacking resource would add, say, +50% to the shield cost. That way those who have a resource would still have an advantage, while the poor AI could still build advanced units. Just not as many, if he lacks the resources.

Realistically, a lot more stuff can be produced than you think, and there are a lot of alternatives. Only they're more expensive. So I think it's very realistic to assume that:

- I COULD breed my own horses, but just having an endless supply of wild ones is cheaper.

- I COULD produce my own synthetic diesel fuel for those tanks (maybe with a minor wonder), since that technology existed for a long time, but it would be more expensive than just having Oil.

- I COULD put a lot of effort into controled fusion instead of fission, if I totally lack uranium, but again it would be more expensive.

- I COULD use other materials than Aluminum to build airplanes (e.g., wooden airplanes have actually been used in WW2. Wood can actually take a lot of punishment before breaking. Or I could use some synthetic compounds. Or whatever.) But just having aluminum is better.

Alternately, you can just think of the extra cost as getting those materials by smuggling, black market, whatever. It costs more and doesn't bring me as much of it as just having that resource, but it's still possible.

Comment

hmm ...

Timber - forest Tiles, + 2 production, +1 commerce. Required for Frigates, Galleons, and Man-o-War (didn't CTP2 had Timber as tradeable good?)

Gold should be a tradeable luxury as well

Comment

Originally posted by Moraelin
                  - I COULD put a lot of effort into controled fusion instead of fission, if I totally lack uranium, but again it would be more expensive.
                  Well, controlled fusion is such an improvement beyond fission that I really can't see it as a remedial solution...
                  Science without conscience is the doom of the soul.

Comment

Working...
                  X