No announcement yet.

City defction is driving me nuts!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No problemo, Sir Venger! While I sometimes disagree with your methods (thinking back to previous threads), the fact is, a damn lot of what you say re: faults in game design makes a lot of sense. I generally don't participate in those discussions much, because I'm more focused on working within the parameters of whatever the current system is....finding ways of making it work....but I'm always glad to see ongoing discussions about how to make the system itself better....

-=Vel=-
    The list of published books grows. If you're curious to see what sort of stories I weave out, head to Amazon.com and do an author search for "Christopher Hartpence." Help support Candle'Bre, a game created by gamers FOR gamers. All proceeds from my published works go directly to the project.

Comment

Originally posted by Hurry
      City defection is driving me nuts!
      Originally posted by Venger
      Yes, the current model approaches insanity...
      It doesnt have to - the solution is easy, and you dont have to wait for an second patch either.

Open your Civilization III map and doubleclick the "Civ3mod" icon; Then click the Culture-tab. There you guys can tweak back and forth how big the conquered Civ resistance-chance should be regardless what cultural opinions neighbor Civs have of you. The default figures is:

- Conquered AI-City is Distantful of your culture = Initial resistance-chance 90%. Continued = 80%.
      - ... Dissmissive of your culture = Initial resistance-chance 80%. Continued = 70%.
      - ... Unimptressed by your culture = Initial resistance-chance 70%. Continued = 60%.
      - ... Impressed by your culture = Initial resistance-chance 60%. Continued = 50%.
      - ... Admirers of your culture = Initial resistance-chance 50%. Continued = 40%.
      - ... In awe of your culture = Initial resistance-chance 40%. Continued = 30%.

Hell, you can even tweak the RATIO for each of above culture opinions, as well. Check it out.
      Last edited by Ralf; December 8, 2001, 17:40.

Comment

Ralf -

Do those numbers control resistance, or also cultural reversion? Is there a real good explanation of those figures and how they affect gameplay somewhere?

Vel -

You're doing yeoman's work over on the Strategy page... making the case for improving the product is my bread and butter...

Venger

Comment

Originally posted by Venger
          Is there a real good explanation of those figures and how they affect gameplay somewhere?
          Well, no to be honest. But the ONLY ones that tells you that they are Dismissive (or whatever) of your culture, is those foreign leaders in the foreign advisor screen, right? Not your own loyal citizens.

And the values you can tweak under the Civmod culture-tab isnt "chance of your own citizens revolting" - that wouldnt make any sense, since anarchy in your own founded cities has to do with other factors, like luxuries and happiness-improvements connected to that indevidual founded city of yours.

Its strictly initial and continued resistance chance of foreign citizens conquered by you. What could it be else? Now, I havent tried it out myself, but its riskfree to do so, since one can always choose the editor-menu Rules -> Restore default Rules, if something goes wrong. Or back up the CivMod file.

Just remember: The easier you make it to oppress/assimilate conquered AI-cities, the easier it is for the AI-invader to oppress/assimilate your cities as well. Its a double-edged sword, you know.
          Last edited by Ralf; December 8, 2001, 18:44.

Comment

I remembered one Firaxian saying something about 1 martial law-opressing combat-unit for each conquered foreign citizen. That rule of thumb maybe still applies, although Im not sure how much they changed it in that new patch. Anyway, with the changes made under that CivMod-editor Culture-tab, at least the probabilities, and the duration of it all, can be made much shorter, if one prefers that. Its worth a try.

Comment

Originally posted by Ralf

Well, no to be honest. But the ONLY ones that tells you that they are Dismissive (or whatever) of your culture, is those foreign leaders in the foreign advisor screen, right? Not your own loyal citizens.
              My Foreign Adviser (f4) positively delights in telling me what the other met civs think of my culture. I think he tells me that in a couple of other situations, too, but I don't recall exactly where.
              Civ2 Demo Game #1 City-Planner, President, Historian
              Civ2 Demo Game #2 Minister of War,President, Minister of Trade, Vice President, City-Planner
              Civ2 Demo Game #3 President, Minister of War, President
              Civ2 Demo Game #4 Despot, City-Planner, Consul

Comment

Yeoman's work? Not sure I get you. Elaborate for the guy in the dunce hat?

-=Vel=-
                The list of published books grows. If you're curious to see what sort of stories I weave out, head to Amazon.com and do an author search for "Christopher Hartpence." Help support Candle'Bre, a game created by gamers FOR gamers. All proceeds from my published works go directly to the project.

Comment

Working...
                X