Rate the patch!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rate the patch!

While I'm impressed with the detail of the improvements included in the patch, I am severely disappointed that one critical point remains unaddressed-- the inability to specify a player starting location in the map editor.

Also, I would like to know the necessity of having up to 512 cities when the city lists for each civilization have not yet been expanded? Does one have to continue to be exposed to viewing cities named "New Paris" and "New New Orleans" all over the map?

I am assuming that the ability to specify player starting locations is a bit more complicated now after the game has been released. However, I think that this is a major blunder (that I'm hoping the developers now regret). On the other hand, the expansion of city lists does not seem to be too difficult a task and yet it was not addressed either.
    Excellent!
    17.05%
    Nice patch.
    34.11%
    Not bad for a first try.
    26.36%
    My mum could have made a better patch...
    22.48%
    "I've spent more time posting than playing."

Where's the 'How can I rate the patch when I haven't installed it yet' option?

There's too much vagueness in the readme to be able to make a real assessment now.

V

Comment

LOL

I don't have a patch to rate. I'll come back next week.

Comment

"silly poll"

a comment from a smelly troll

Comment

Originally posted by jimmytrick
          "silly poll"

a comment from a smelly troll
          true, but we do know what's NOT in it.

The editor is still very weak - can't add new items
          Starting positions for scenarios are still not possible
          Still can't move units as a stack
          Diplomacy screen is still crap if you play more than 8 opponents

While I appreciate the bug fixes, there are still some significant issues that remain unaddressed.
          "Barbarism is the natural state of mankind... Civilization is unnatural. It is a whim of circumstance. And barbarism must always triumph."

Comment

Re: Rate the patch!

Originally posted by siredgar
            Also, I would like to know the necessity of having up to 512 cities when the city lists for each civilization have not yet been expanded? Does one have to continue to be exposed to viewing cities named "New Paris" and "New New Orleans" all over the map?
            Which would you prefer, the amount of cities the game can handle expanded to 512, and being "exposed to viewing cities named "New Paris" ", or to have the game crash every time any civ builds their 15th city?? Exactly.

Would you prefer Firaxis to change a hard-coded variable inside the game engine which only a few people would be able to do, or expand the list of city names which everyone and their dog has the ability to do??

What a waste of a complaint
            I'm building a wagon! On some other part of the internets, obviously (but not that other site).

Comment

[shameless plug]

More City Names

[/shameless plug]

-Sev

Comment

Actually I've been wondering about this for a while... Maybe just because it's not my gamestyle but I do not understand why people want so many cities? Surely it's just going to be a nightmare to micromanage? Or is there some 'size' inferiority thing ...

V

Comment

Originally posted by Sevorak
                  [shameless plug]

More City Names

[/shameless plug]

-Sev
                  Excellent!!!

I've been complaining about this for a while now.

TWO QUESTIONS:
                  1. "Should I download this after the patch or can I do it now?"

and

2. "Did this correct 'Marseilles' to 'Marseille'???"

Also, in response to Skanky, I wasn't arguing that the city lists were important, but rather trying to demonstrate the lack of attention to easy-to-fix details such as this one. I'm not even sure the city lists were really updated much, if at all, from Civ II (besides adding lists for Iroquois and Persians).

Comment

As far as I know they are working on the map editor separately but it will be available before X-Mas.
                    "Oderint dum probent"

Comment

By the way, my dog can't play Civ III!

Comment

I'll probably fix it up again for the patch, if the extra city names cause the entire .bic to use the old statistics for submarines and paratroops and whatnot.

Read the post, it corrects both Marseille and Lyon

-Sev

Comment

Also, in response to Skanky, I wasn't arguing that the city lists were important, but rather trying to demonstrate the lack of attention to easy-to-fix details such as this one. I'm not even sure the city lists were really updated much, if at all, from Civ II (besides adding lists for Iroquois and Persians).
                          Thats probably true (except for it being easy) but i doubt that this would be high up on Firaxis' list of things to do.
                          Probably the best way to get a much larger city-name list would be through a community effort by posting a "Add a [civ] City Name" thread somewhere, and compiling all the new names, and finally adding them to the file that Civ 3 uses. I havent had a look at the file yet, but its probably pure text, so very easy to add entries to.

A bonus to this approach is that if you dont want Marseille with an extra 's', then it wont have it. Just something to consider.

PS: Sorry about my flame before, i think i got just a little bit carried away
                          I'm building a wagon! On some other part of the internets, obviously (but not that other site).

Comment

By the way, my dog can't play Civ III!
                            After a few weeks of training, my dog can draw maps, plot cities in their exact positions, and add all their names to text files with one leg tied behind his.. erm..

Comment

Also, the patch doesn't have anything to alter the AI trading system (getting more 1-for-1 trades). But then I read somewhere that the developers didn't think this was a "problem".

Hey, Skanky, can I borrow that dog for a few weeks?

Comment

Working...
                              X