This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Yog-Sothoth

I think your points are valid, but my opinion is that a customer should be entitled to a quality product regardless of sales of said product.
    I suppose its up to the consumers to lake things into our own hands. I have had a habit of impulse puchases of games, but I think the way forward is to only buy the game on release if the developer/publisher has declared their position on post release support/development. If they haven't then don't touch it untill you have heard enough feedback to satisfy you.

On that basis I bough this on release, trusting firaxis to keep the development going. I would't necessarily do this with other companies.

Comment

• Rhuarc, nice to see someone agrees with me and has the same problem. Playing the game at less than optimal is better than not playing it at all. The CTP games, Alpha Centauri and Civ 2 worked just nicely on 800x600 and I hope that it isn't a big problem to change Civ 3 so that this is possible, because a lot of people would be really gratefull

Comment

I think your points are valid, but my opinion is that a customer should be entitled to a quality product regardless of sales of said product.
        and i think all wars should stop tomorrow
        Co-Founder, Apolyton Civilization Site
        Co-Owner/Webmaster, Top40-Charts.com | CTO, Apogee Information Systems
        giannopoulos.info: my non-mobile non-photo news & articles blog

Comment

• Originally posted by Barchan

Perhaps a better question is: Would you pay $50 bucks to beta test the game and get a free copy of the final version?
          Yes in this case, as I wanted a new turn-based game and there ain't much out there. But would I do it with another company?

Comment

• Originally posted by MarkG

and i think all wars should stop tomorrow
            That would be nice too
            We are the apt, you will be packaged.

Comment

• Plumbean

Great work cant wait to get it.I was wondering in the future any hope of Airbases,Correct starting spot for Civs on maps,and info for scenario building the greatest thing to me about Civ II was how you could change the game every time you wanted something different it never got old .
              John Plavchan

Comment

• Originally posted by Nadexander

I paid Firaxis $60 bucks to hit me with a bat and then give me "A Designer Note" instead of "Designer's Notes" Man do i feel like an idiot.
                Weeelllll... If you couldn't figure out that the video circulating around the net was probably the "making of" video promised in the game and couldn't live without yet *another* supposed tech poster and just *had* to pay for that extra tin then you got what you paid for..

That being said, I myself have bought CE of Diablo2 & Baldurs Gate you I am not faulting you for buying the CE of Civ3, just that you should have been able to figure before buying it what it would be generally like and decide if it was really worth your money then. I know wanting the supposed "tech tree" printout almost made me buy it before I found out how bad the print-out was, but ultimately I decided that using the Civilopedia would be much easier (and not cause me to put yet more holes in my wall).

Yes. Civ2 also came with a functioning senario editor. Did it need to be modded in order to be interesting/playble? No. You must be thinking of CTP2.
                Well no. Civ2 had quite a few text files you could edit, but I know it didn't have such things as a build queue built into the game nor did it have the ability to plan, ahead of time, or switch your science goals. Both of these are much superior to Civ2.

This being said, Civ2 did *eventually* have a text file feature you could modify to have a pseudo build-file, but that was ONLY after a few patches came out for the game.

So, in a nutshell Civ2 as a basic game, had almost exactly the same features we now have in Civ3, with the only difference being that people can fix starting positions in Civ3 (yet) and the fact that Civ2 you couldn't change science or have a modifyable build-queue (just the general differences I can think of off the top of my head).

Comment

• Originally posted by Skanky Burns

RTFM!!

Do us all a favour and at least UNDERSTAND the game before you complain about it!!
                  But SB, why should Venger actually RTFM and actually learn about about the game when he can always not read anything and then come here and whine (and whine and whine and whine) instead???

Now then that wouldn't be as much fun would it? Reading the manual and maybe the Civilopedia and then adapting to the NEW rules in the game instead of expecting Civ3 to be Civ2/SMAC in different "clothes"?

After discovering replacable parts, your workers now work twice as fast. Just by discovering that tech. And without you needing to rebuild your entire work-force just to get a speed increase.
                  Hmm, imagine that, so we don't even need to rebuild all the settlers into engineers, but this is still notbetter than having to re-do everything according to some people.

The game works fine for those of us who understand it
                  Go and actually play it for a while, and next time you post here, try to complain about something other than your lack of understanding.
                  lol!! Yeah I guess those of us who actually try new things and RTFM must be morons for not expecting the game to only be _as_we_want_it_ without having to learn new things and tactics. Obviously those who don't read anything but continiously proclaim how poorly made the game is *because*it*doesn't*give*exactly*what*WE*want* must be the real geniuses here.

Obviously...

Comment

• Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Civilization III v1.16f Additions/Changes/Fixes

Originally posted by jbrians

Ugh. I hope you are not stupid enough to post comments about stuff you don't understand. Speed-efficient graph search algorithms do indeed have exponential memory cost; they are not making this up.

(this is my first post BTW. Sorry to start off with a flame. Hi all.)
                    -Brian
                    Do you know me?

Memory management of large data sets during runtime is something I am quite familiar with. Don't be stupid enough to insult someone with a lot of experience in this area.

I took Dan's comment as an indication of static allocation vs. dynamic allocation of memory. It was an admittedly vague comment, but it was still a little disconcerting.
                    "Barbarism is the natural state of mankind... Civilization is unnatural. It is a whim of circumstance. And barbarism must always triumph."

Comment

Nontheless, when I pay for something I expect the product to be of a certain quality (not talking explicitly about civ3) even if it is "just" a game.
                      So... What was below "quality" in Civ3? Does it crash every 15 minutes with fatal errors?

Do none of your units upgrade as they should? Maybe you can't build XYZ units without the system locking up or the game being unbalanced?

Does the Civilopedia not work at all? Do the wonders or units or city buildings not work at all? Do settlers not settle, or workers work as they should?

Any of these things would mean the game is unifinshed.

The air superiority bug (which will be fixed with this patch), million dollar bug, cheating AI by giving them a empty city bug, etc, all appear to be on schedule to be fixed with this patch.

So, O great one, what about the game is "unfinished"? The editor? This has already been stated that the editor is still being worked on.

If the game doesn't crash constantly and/or cause fatal errors it is NOT unplayable. There is a large difference between the game being what it is and what YOU want it to be. Just because the two don't match doesn't mean it's "unfinished", it means you need to change your expectations from what you WANT the game to be to what it IS and then go from there with helpful suggestions as to what you want that is within the bounds of what is possible.

Comment

Actually I think I would have waited. I'm a patient guy
                        So... take the game back and buy the gold edition in a year when it's bundled with the (more than likely) X-pack that has all the features you may want.

If you're patient this shouldn't be an issue.

Comment

• Originally posted by Barchan

Perhaps a better question is: Would you pay $50 bucks to beta test the game and get a free copy of the final version?
                          And we are having to pay how much for the patches? Nothing you say? Well then we are getting a "finished product" for free, no?

Comment

• Originally posted by Binni
                            Rhuarc, nice to see someone agrees with me and has the same problem. Playing the game at less than optimal is better than not playing it at all. The CTP games, Alpha Centauri and Civ 2 worked just nicely on 800x600 and I hope that it isn't a big problem to change Civ 3 so that this is possible, because a lot of people would be really gratefull
                            Have you tried adjusting the resolution file as dictated in the readme? I know I play with 1024X768, even on my laptop (correction, only CHEAP or old laptops only go up to 800X600), but I could have sworn that you could change the game resolution to 800X600 with the "resolution.ini" thing. Maybe not.

Comment

• Re: Re: Patch ETA and Ramblings

Originally posted by Vonotar

Zulu's with nothing more than spears defeated the English armed with muskets - That is a historical fact.
                              Didn't the Philipinos armed only with sticks (escrima) beat of Magellan's men who had swords and armor? Can't remeber the history...
                              Why did I join the Army?
                              Free Food
                              Free Bullets
                              And it sure beats working for a living...

Comment

• The patch will need patching methinks

Originally posted by Jaybe

2. I haven't seen evidence of AI galleys over the ocean.
                                By this I mean galleys crossing squares where I cannot. In this CivIII is different than CivII. In CivII - you could send your long ship/trireme out into the ocean and take your chances.

I have a game which I've played over and over (test bed, non-edited). The greeks always send a galley to a particular point on the map. To do that, they have to cross ocean squares. If I try that, my galley cannot cross in the same area.

Nobody has Lighthouse.

'Meddle not in the affairs of dragons
                                For thou art crunchy
                                And go well with ketchup.'

Comment

Working...
                                X