All this talk of Civ3 and CTP2...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• All this talk of Civ3 and CTP2...

Has made me check the reviews of each at Gamespot.

I recommend reading them both. If anyone can find why Civ3 rates a 9.2 and 7.2 then please point it out in the review. It's humerous to note that of user reviews, CTP2 is beating Civ3...

So I decided to look at the CTP2 screenshots...

Holy cow! First -

The game graphics are ugly...look at those farms and fishnets...yikes!

But after that...holy cow! A research pact? Wow! Armies! And you can name them, and move units in and out! Wow! Look at all those freaking Civs you can choose from! Holy cow, look at those armies in the field!! Aye carumba!

I think I'm gonna have to give it a shot...why the armies especially weren't included in Civ3 is strange indeed.

Venger

Just bought CTP2. Will give it a whirl and check into the CTP2 forums here on Apolyton (assuming there are some!). IT will be interesting to see how Activisions second post Civ2 game compares with Firaxis' first...

Also, picked up SMAC for $1.99...hey, why not, I only played the original (copy) once, why not give the fully patched item a whirl...

Venger

Comment

That's probably the best $1.99 you've ever spent. SMAC is a really fun game. Enjoy.

-Yook

Comment

I figured $2 was worth it - it's a jewel case game, no box, small manual, but the game is the full version, so why not. I did come to hate the unit workshop (tedious) and thought the talking planet was worthy of building a Death Star wonder. But, $2 can't be beat.

On CTP2, just opened the box, and the first thing I noticed was a tech and unit/game poster that actually was a poster! No tech napkin like Civ3.

I also noticed all the different government and play options... variety is the spice of life, but only if they did it well. We'll see. I also downloaded the game patch and also the Apolyton mod. So we'll see how it goes...

Venger

Comment

If you guys want to play CTP2, you had better go to the forums here and find all the good patches because the game absolutely sucks without having all the right patches in place. You guys should probably go over there and ask some questions and such.
          A thing either is what it appears to be; or it is not, but yet appears to be; or it is, but does not appear to be; or it is not, and does not appear to be.--Epictitus

Comment

Heh, way ahead of you buddy. I haven't installed CTP2 yet, but I have already downloaded the patch from Activision as well as the Apolyton mod/patch. I also posted a request for info as I don't want to reinvent the wheel with the game, if others have done that legwork already...

Venger

Comment

I would suggest playing it without mods first. Then I would recommend very very very very highly using WesW's Medeival Mod. The changes made to all aspects of the game and AI are truely amazing. I only hope Civ3 turns out to be this modable in the future.

Comment

Ppl going back to CTP2 already... Looks like things are out of control already! But hey, keep us informed of how it grabs you; should we really spend more money on Civ games already?
                Consul.

Back to the ROOTS of addiction. My first missed poll!

Comment

Does this medieval mod enhance gameplay of the midgame without affecting early or late game quality of play?

Venger

Comment

Venger - Re: CTP

You asked whether I thought you would enjoy it...

Given what you've expressed in the past, I'm not sure. The weak point is the AI - and that is where a lot of the modding went on. Probably neither of them are as good as what I've heard about the Civ III AI.

CTPI has the more aggressive AI. CTPII has some interesting aspects, but the AI is still not highly aggressive even with the basic Apolyton pack. You may want to try the Cradle mod which includes the Frenzy mod. I haven't played Wes' mod pack for CTPII yet. Without the mods the game was an absolute loss - the AI just never fought.

There's a lot of personal choice issues. I really like some of the playing (stacked armies especially, PW, hitpoints) so I found it tough to go back to play Civ II after CTPI.

I haven't got Civ III yet (Xmas present from my kids most likely), so I'm looking forward to trying it.

But with additional AI aggressiveness I am having fun. And hoping more mods will improve it further. Of course I'm enjoying EUI and RRT2 as well. No accounting for taste....

And if you were able to pick it up relatively cheap, le plus le meilleur.
                    Many are cold, but few are frozen.No more durrian, please. On On!

Comment

Well, have loaded and patched with Activision patch - at first blush:

Tech tree is richer

Game performance is LIGHT YEARS ahead of Civ3 - I am playing on a 1600 x 1200 surface and getting very low CPU usage, whereas Civ3, like Civ2, maxes the CPU load just sitting there - I like this already.

Alot of the stuff I had commented on for Civ3 is in CTP2! Piracy, richer naval units, etc...

Anyone who has played them both, what do you find as the most notable contrasts between these two games?

Venger

Comment

The WesW Medieval mod makes a lot of early-mid game changes (units,terrain,tech,and many others). But many huge improvements in the games AI. This is where CTP2's major shortfall was in my opinion. The AI was weak and easily exploited.

Too many changes in the mod to list them all. Heck the mod has 4 or 5 spreadsheets and 2-3 readmes to do that

Comment

Ahem, (see sig).

Comment

Venger: How much did CTP cost? I love civ3, and it's woken up the old civer inside me -- I'm considering doing exactly what you did (picking up CTP/CTP2 and SMAC cheep) in a few months, when I'm not playing Civ 3 24/7 (not that I don't think I'll still be playing it then, just not as much).

Anyway, let us know what you think! I'd really like to hear your oppinions, since I'm thinking about doing the exact same thing you are in a few months time...

-- adaMada
                            Civ 3 Democracy Game:
                            PTW Game: Proud member of the Roleplay Team, and Ambassador to Glory of War
                            Intersite PTW Game: Member of Apolyton

Comment

CTP 2 has way more features and options, but the ai is insanely bad. The civ3 ai is a million times better. I would never play the unmodded CTP again. (Also, Activision's patch was useless)

Comment

Working...
                              X