Gee, relocating air units is TEDIOUS.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gee, relocating air units is TEDIOUS.

Everyone must've had fun doing this: 30 bombers, a dozen other assorted fighters, all stacked close to the front line for bombing missions.

Then comes the time when you want to relocate them to the other side of your world.

Scroll map ... Shift+R ... click city ... map relocates ... Scroll map ... Shift+R ... click city ... map relocates ... Scroll map ... Shift+R ... click city ... map relocates ... Scroll map ... Shift+R ... click city ... map relocates ... Scroll map ... Shift+R ... click city ... map relocates ... Scroll map ... Shift+R ... click city ... map relocates ... Scroll map ... Shift+R ... click city ... map relocates ... Scroll map ... Shift+R ... click city ... map relocates ... Scroll map ... Shift+R ... click city ... map relocates ... Scroll map ... Shift+R ... click city ... map relocates ... Scroll map ... Shift+R ... click city ... map relocates ... Scroll map ... Shift+R ... click city ... map relocates ... Scroll map ... Shift+R ... click city ... map relocates ... Scroll map ... Shift+R ... click city ... map relocates ... Scroll map ... Shift+R ... click city ... map relocates ... Scroll map ... Shift+R ... click city ... map relocates ... Scroll map ... Shift+R ... click city ... map relocates ... Scroll map ... Shift+R ... click city ... map relocates ... Scroll map ... Shift+R ... click city ... map relocates ... Scroll map ... Shift+R ... click city ... map relocates ... Scroll map ... Shift+R ... click city ... map relocates ...

ARRRRRGGGHHHHHH. Didn't the play testers get bored doing this?
    Orange and Tangerine Juice. More mellow than an orange, more orangy than a tangerine. It's alot like me, but without all the pulp.

~~ Shamelessly stolen from someone with talent.

stack movemnt would be good don't 'you think
    Boston Red Sox are 2004 World Series Champions!

Comment

Re: Gee, relocating air units is TEDIOUS.

Originally posted by Kolyana
      Didn't the play testers get bored doing this?
      Yes, that would be us.

Comment

Yeah they have to add stack movement.
        Not only for air units, but also for moving large ground forces in railroads.
        If god is on our side,
        He'll stop the next war

Comment

is there anything in this game NOT tedious?
          My Message Board:http://www.naughtybooth.com
          Completely un-civ related, but still fun.

Comment

Kolyana: Why not come up with a suggestion how it could be done differently?

More important is the abilty to move around several land- or naval-units in one cluster. They dont have to fight as a whole - only move as a whole. To me this ability would be more important then the 3-4 unit army-capability, since the chance of creating a Great Leader are so extremely rare. At least for everyone that doesnt choose a militaristic Civ, and have city-conquerings as their main objective.
            Last edited by Ralf; December 1, 2001, 06:15.

Comment

Originally posted by Daveraver
              is there anything in this game NOT tedious?
              Yes, reading whining comments like this. Just stop play the game and do something else, if your are so totally bored.

Comment

I wish I could! But the game is still incredibly addictive. I think the CD emits cocaine or some other narcotic that keeps me playing despite bugs and tedious gameplay.

DAMN YOU FIRAXIS!
                My Message Board:http://www.naughtybooth.com
                Completely un-civ related, but still fun.

Comment

Originally posted by Ralf

More important is the abilty to move around several land- or naval-units in one cluster. They dont have to fight as a whole - only move as a whole. To me this ability would be more important then the 3-4 unit army-capability, since the chance of creating a Great Leader are so extremely rare. At least for everyone that doesnt choose a militaristic Civ, and have city-conquerings as their main objective.
                  You're an idiot. You ask the guy how it can be done better (despite the fact that several people have already mentioned stacking) and then answer the question yourself in the second paragraph!
                  Relocating air units IS tedious and air stacking is just as important as it would be for naval and ground units (for the purposes of mass movement). It's as simple as having a shift-click/ctrl-click grouping command. I want to move 8 bombers to Washington? Click on top bomber, hold down shift, click on bottom bomber, all selected, shift-R and click on desired destination. Voila.
                  But no instead we have to click city, click unit, shift-R, scroll, click city, map resets, repeat x30. BORING. Is dinner ready yet Muriel?

Comment

Originally posted by Ralf

Yes, reading whining comments like this. Just stop play the game and do something else, if your are so totally bored.
                    Or he could just whine about the whiners like you since that's infinitely more justified, right?

Comment

Originally posted by Calorman

Or he could just whine about the whiners like you since that's infinitely more justified, right?

Look, we've been through this before - quit whining about whiners whining about whiners!

Anyway, everyone knows that /general is really /whiners...

Comment

I was hoping there was a stack command I hadn't seen or heard of. Just to get it straight, there isn't one yet, and they're going to make us pay for it in the expansion pack, right?
                        gNigma. Sex, lies, and politics.

Comment

to the programmers out there:

do u think it's possible for the game to include groups of units?

i miss the ctp2 concept of being able to name ur army groups i.e. 1st Division etc., this personalises the gaming experience for me as i witness the rise and fall of my armies.

Comment

Because, quite simply, my sugegstion is exactly the same as what we have all been asking for ... stack movement. I'm not going to re-iterate what has been said a gazillion times.

This isn't a whine. I like the game, I've played it non-stop since buying it. I agree that it is unfinished and has a lot of tedium within, but whine about it I am not.

If you like, I'm a gamer trying to draw attention to a flaw within the game in the hope that the programmers will do something about it.

Did I say I was bored? No I did not.

In fact, you annoy me more than the game, and that's saying something

As an aside, aswell as stack movement ... which is essential ... I'd actually like to create a battle-group ... hear me out:

The other day I had 4 aircraft carriers, a handful of battleships, and surrounded them with subs and crusiers ... I thought then that it would be nice to be able to select them all and make them one unit ... not an army (can you even get this on the water?), but simply a group that moves together. A stack over several squares.

Hard to implement, we'll never see it, but I can dream.

Erm .. can't I, Ralf? No? Oh, sorry.
                            Orange and Tangerine Juice. More mellow than an orange, more orangy than a tangerine. It's alot like me, but without all the pulp.

~~ Shamelessly stolen from someone with talent.

Comment

Kolyana,
                              Zoom out first. You might also want to turn off the grid.

Other than that, be grateful that you don't have to do these major transfers that often. Actually, the tedium in transferring your air force is a substitute for having to ferry them via several cities (ferry range would be twice their mission range). Can you imagine having to do it as in Civ2???

Comment

Working...
                              X