• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gabriel Gauthier
    spray.net@videotron.ca
    Go GalCiv, go! Go Society, go!

Comment

On the other hand - if I translate the book into another language and pass copies out amongst my friends - then there is a copyright issue here. What I would be doing is uttering/issuing illegal copies.
      Hate it, but it's absolutely true. It would be like selling pirated copies of films released in U.S. to U.K. before they come out.
      "Five hundred years of democracy and peace, and what has it produced? The Cuckoo Clock... goodbye Harold"

Comment

The problem isn't that they stopped the German version, it's that their rule has the power to stop about anything. Even what's adding stuff totally creative or anything.

Comment

I'm in

John_shaft987@hotmail.com

Comment

I used to work in a big university library in the interlibrary lending department. I sent books, journals and article copies all around the U.S. and the world. So, though I'm no expert, I do know a few things about international copyright law.

Elowan, I wish you were right, but no matter what, you are never allowed to distribute copies or modifications of someone else's copyrighted works in any way without a written statement to the contrary. (The exception is fair use law which says that you can make a copy of a part of a copyrighted work for your own personal use, or you can quote a work, however fair use law only covers printed material and excludes maps, certain government documents and music.) Even though Firaxis has implied that modding the game is O.K., they never stated that these mods could be distributed. Technically it is illegal to publish these mods on Apolyton. These people definitely have a legitimate concern.
            A thing either is what it appears to be; or it is not, but yet appears to be; or it is, but does not appear to be; or it is not, and does not appear to be.--Epictitus

Comment

senowen --

The implied permission in the fact of the editor and 'common usuage' would make such a case hard to prosecute.
              'Meddle not in the affairs of dragons
              For thou art crunchy
              And go well with ketchup.'

Comment

Boy... were are all these peoples that replied to the first post about the same subject?...

Comment

Can't be arsed. I'm taking the Locutus route.
                  Concrete, Abstract, or Squoingy?
                  "I don't believe in giving scripting languages because the only additional power they give users is the power to create bugs." - Mike Breitkreutz, Firaxis

Comment

Elowan

I'm sorry Elowan, but adding your changes to the Letter would not clarify anything. Sounds to me like you disagree.

This thread is for those of us who need to know what Infogrames has to say about modifications - the company who issued the C&D Order for the German translation.

The point of this letter is Flat Out - NO modifications are allowed without Infogrames consent. I warned everyone about this earlier.

Hopefully Infogrames will respond to this letter and give the Civ-Fanbase a break. As it is, we are all breaking the rule because none of us has requested permission (expections excluded of course).

Someone print this letter out on textured paper, in an easy to read font and mail out copies. You will get a response.... eventually.
                    Castle Wolfenstein or Civilization 3? So little time...

Comment

Include Me:
                      E_T_1@MPINET.NET
                      Come and see me at WePlayCiv
                      Worship the Comic here!
                      Term IV DFM for Trade, Term V CP & Term VI DM, Term VII SMC of Apolytonia - SPDGI, Minister of the Interior of the PTW InterSite Demo Game

Comment

Working...
                      X