corruption reduction ideas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• corruption reduction ideas

I don't favor just reducing corruption outright; I think for a city half a world away to be almost completely useless is, well, reasonable. But I think there should be in-game means to reduce the corruption in that city. I don't think all of the below should be implemented. They are in order of my preference.

1) Supreme Court/High Court/etc. Small wonder - increases effectiveness of courthouses (I've read that 25% is the current corruption reduction; maybe to 50%?). This could be a small wonder that requires N courthouses before is possible to be built. Of course, since its effects would be useless without a courthouse, that might not be necessary.

2) Multiple Forbidden Palaces. Right now it says that you can only build a Forbidden Palace if you have 8 cities (on a standard map). Maybe make it so that you can build an FP for every 8 cities you have (like the armies/cities limit). Might have to change the cost (in which direction I'm not sure).

3) Increase optimal cities/map over time, probably with each new era. So for a standard map, the optimal number would be 16 in the ancient era, 24 in the medieval era, 32 in the industrial era, and 40 in the modern era. Numbers of course subject to tweaking.

4) Reduce distance penalties over time, again possibly with each new era.

5) Reduce distance penalties with the discovery of new technologies. Namely, for overseas cities, discovery of magnetism and navigation would reduce the distance penalties. For cities on the same continent, steam power would reduce corruption (maybe the same as the above for overseas cities too). And finally, flight would reduce corruption in all cities.

What about reducing corruption with city-connection?
    A connected city has less corruption than an un-connected
    And railroads affects it more than ordinary roads.

Since a road makes the traveltime between cities shorter, communications would work better and corruption would drop
    Also, make certain infra-structure-related advances, such as Radio, reduce corruption
    If you don't like it, MOD IT!

Comment

I'm going for the lazy option: muddle along until the patch...

Comment

Connectedness might be a viable thing too, except I think that comes too early in the game. Usually just about all my cities are connected in the ancient era. On the other hand, it's a cliche that great empires depend heavily on their roads (Rome, Persia, etc.).

6) Garrisons reduce corruption in all governments

Comment

Re: corruption reduction ideas

Originally posted by sophist
          I don't favor just reducing corruption outright; I think for a city half a world away to be almost completely useless is, well, reasonable. But I think there should be in-game means to reduce the corruption in that city. I don't think all of the below should be implemented. They are in order of my preference.

1) Supreme Court/High Court/etc. Small wonder - increases effectiveness of courthouses (I've read that 25% is the current corruption reduction; maybe to 50%?). This could be a small wonder that requires N courthouses before is possible to be built. Of course, since its effects would be useless without a courthouse, that might not be necessary.

2) Multiple Forbidden Palaces. Right now it says that you can only build a Forbidden Palace if you have 8 cities (on a standard map). Maybe make it so that you can build an FP for every 8 cities you have (like the armies/cities limit). Might have to change the cost (in which direction I'm not sure).

3) Increase optimal cities/map over time, probably with each new era. So for a standard map, the optimal number would be 16 in the ancient era, 24 in the medieval era, 32 in the industrial era, and 40 in the modern era. Numbers of course subject to tweaking.

4) Reduce distance penalties over time, again possibly with each new era.

5) Reduce distance penalties with the discovery of new technologies. Namely, for overseas cities, discovery of magnetism and navigation would reduce the distance penalties. For cities on the same continent, steam power would reduce corruption (maybe the same as the above for overseas cities too). And finally, flight would reduce corruption in all cities.
          good ideas, i like the small wonder idea.

technologies like magnetism, navigation, radio, and flight, reducing corruption should have been in the game from the start. I dont know if its even possible to use the editor to make these changes.

Comment

I've been lurking long enough and decide it's time to make my first post. Looking at the postings it looks like there's been some good ideas going around on how to reduce corruption. Here are my suggestions:

1) I think there needs to be a cap on the amount of corruption. Maybe something like a max of 90% in the ancient era, 80% in the medievil, 70% in the industrial, and 60% in modern times. This would still make it hard for early world domination in the opening games, but make it more possible later in the game.

2) Change how distance penalty is calculated. Instead of from the distance between two cities to maybe the distance between the two cities respective cultural borders. For instance if your city is 12 squares away from your capital. And both the capital and the city have a cultral radius of 2, the distance penalty would only be 8 (12-2-2=8). This sorta has the same effect as sophist idea of reducing corruption over time as over time your borders will expand reducing the distance penalty. I think this idea makes the most sense and very simple for the programmers to do.

-LeeBear

Comment

I like the idea of increasing the optimal number of cities in each era because that makes a lot of sense. Corruption should be higher in ancient times than any other later times with the same amount of cities. Good ideas!

-quinalla
              Jacob's Law "To err is human: to blame it on someone else is even more human."

Comment

Seeing as we have "Future Technologies", why not "Future Governments", why do we stop at Democracy as the "highest" form of Government.

How about "Utopian", much reduced corruption but you are completely unable to declare War (although War can be declared against you) and your units attack at a penalty and may never invade without a RoP, and Mobilzation is not available, the intention is to win by Diplomacy or Culture.

Before you can revert to a more warlike stance you'll have to change government first.
                xane

Comment

I think the mods you propose are good ones. I especially like the High Court small wonder. (Will the editor allow that one to be added easily?)

Personally, I'd like to see corruption modified by culture. The bigger the culture, the more cohesive the national identity, the larger you should be able to get without having massive corruption problems, right?
                  "When I could find voice, I shrieked aloud in agony, "Either this is madness or it is Hell." "It is neither," calmly replied the voice of the Sphere, "It is Knowledge."
                  -Flatland, by Edwin A. Abbott

Comment

Originally posted by xane
                    Seeing as we have "Future Technologies", why not "Future Governments", why do we stop at Democracy as the "highest" form of Government.

How about "Utopian", much reduced corruption but you are completely unable to declare War (although War can be declared against you) and your units attack at a penalty and may never invade without a RoP, and Mobilzation is not available, the intention is to win by Diplomacy or Culture.

Before you can revert to a more warlike stance you'll have to change government first.
                    Xane,
                    It sounds like you are playing the wrong game you should take a look at the patched and moded version of CTP2. It has everything you just spoke of...
                    Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

That's a good idea. The only caveat there is that it might make culture too powerful.

Originally posted by AnotherSteve
                      Personally, I'd like to see corruption modified by culture. The bigger the culture, the more cohesive the national identity, the larger you should be able to get without having massive corruption problems, right?

Comment

Originally posted by Wyrmo
                        What about reducing corruption with city-connection?
                        A connected city has less corruption than an un-connected
                        And railroads affects it more than ordinary roads.
                        Actually this is already implemented. Cities that are connected to capital do have less corruption. To connect oversees cities you have to have harbor there and your capital connected to another harbor. And if there is sea or ocean squares between two harbors you also need to have advance that allows trade over those squares? (Magnetism/navigation I think, not sure.)

Comment

23 units of currency/trade generated by a far flung city.

Add courthouse.
                          Add every other building available in the game.
                          Add roads and rail all around.
                          Add a port.
                          Add an airport.
                          Make yourself a diplomacy.

Result? 22 corruption. wtf?

Yes, all of those ideas above are wonderful, because clearly a modern age diplomacy with every conceivable building for assistance is a cocktail of corruption. Apparently.
                          Orange and Tangerine Juice. More mellow than an orange, more orangy than a tangerine. It's alot like me, but without all the pulp.

~~ Shamelessly stolen from someone with talent.

Comment

I posted this in another thread too but I'll repeat here. Instead of decresing corruption by age, tie the decrease to specific techs (most of which are placeholders at the moment).

These 5 techs could reduce waste:

Currency <- exchanging money is more efficient than bartering
                            Banking <- reliability & accountability in finances
                            Corporation <- corporations are known for improving efficiency to maximize profits
                            Steel <- a mixture, a more efficient use of natural resources
                            Recycling <- by definition decreases waste

These 5 techs could reduce corruption by making the empire 'smaller' through communication:

Writing, Printing Press, Radio, Computer, Satellite

Comment

Good ideas

I find LeeBears ideas to be the simplest to implement, and thus most likely to make it in. Tying corruption loss to specific techs is not that realistic, since the type of government matters far more. All the cell phones in the world won't make a banana republic less corrupt than Scandinavian countries (hey, my cousin runs the phone company!....)
                              If you don't like reality, change it! me
                              "Oh no! I am bested!" Drake
                              "it is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong" Voltaire
                              "Patriotism is a pernecious, psychopathic form of idiocy" George Bernard Shaw

Comment

Working...
                              X