Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by yin26
    My favorite comment he makes is:

LOL! Sure, lack of proper testing will pretty much guarantee that, eh? Of course of course.
    Obviously you dont work in the software industry. Bugs are a fact of life, like death and taxes. You can't ever get rid of all the bugs, its impossible because human beings are fallible. Also, many bugs are purely a matter of opinion or perspective. Certainly some of Civ3s bugs don't fall into that category, but many do. It really has nothing to do with proper testing (although that helps on nailing the big ones). Its more to do with how much money do we spend to fix a product vs how much do we lose to not fix it. How much money do we lose by delaying the product to fix bugs vs how much money do we make by releasing it now. Software is never finished, just abandoned.

Comment

Yep, fixing that air bug would have cost millions.
      I've been on these boards for a long time and I still don't know what to think when it comes to you -- FrantzX, December 21, 2001

"Yin": Your friendly, neighborhood negative cosmic force.

Comment

Originally posted by ElMeanYo
        Obviously you dont work in the software industry. Bugs are a fact of life, like death and taxes. You can't ever get rid of all the bugs, its impossible because human beings are fallible.
        POPPYCOCK. If I had an employee with that attitude, there would be an open door waiting and s/he'd have a boot in the arse to send him/her out said door.

I, of course, base my statement on the fact that I have plenty of bug-free software sitting on my computer.

Its more to do with how much money do we spend to fix a product vs how much do we lose to not fix it. How much money do we lose by delaying the product to fix bugs vs how much money do we make by releasing it now.
        Customers come first. If you screw them over, they will not return and I can guarantee you that word will spread of one's reputation. Why do you think Bridgestone/Firestone and Ford got stung so bad with their faulty tires? Because they were shoddy and folks got maimed and killed because of said shoddy product. Civ III isn't going to kill anyone by any means, but the idea is the same: ruined reputations.

It was a mistake to release a bug-filled game just to get the holiday rush. Now you have a whole bunch of people sitting at home with a buggy game, and not all of them are going to be able to just download a patch for it. Perhaps some will never notice the problems Civ III has as it stands right now, but I know enough of them will notice the problems and ... well, see my previous paragraph.

CYBERAmazon
        "I may not agree with what you have to say, but I'll die defending your right to say it." — Voltaire

"Wheresoever you go, go with all your heart." — Confucius

Comment

You know, the game has some flaws and could have benefitted from better playtesting but rocks the house anyway. I certainly don't agree with all the stylistic changes they probably will not alter (like making combat even easier for muskets against tanks, etc.) but the game rules and is definitely a step up from Civ 2. And, no I don't work for Firaxis, although I wish the game came out later only so I could stop playing and finish studying for my finals!

Comment

Okay, there maybe two different types of bugs. One is the usual technical bugs. It was not intended in the first place, and “to err is human”. Apply patch(es), case closed. The other one is the dreaded design bug. This is when the programmers have made the wrong decision or may ignore important considerations in the software requirements. Short to say, this is the error made when the product is still in blueprint. Most of the times, it can’t be corrected with patches.

IMHO Civ III doesn’t have that many design flaws, but there are still major ones. For instance, the way the game now to ignore lots of micromanagers we cherish in Civ2 & SMAC and dream to have more capable ones in Civ3. The game now looks more simplified and can also be said to be more “dumbed down” for the general masses. Like Yin said, Firaxis seem to go in one direction only in the game. Ignore the experts, embrace the masses to gain more acceptance. Another design flaw that I can think of right now is the almost unchanged tech tree, with useless tech nodes intersperse inside the tree. How ‘bout the concept which militaristic civilizations have the privilege of getting heroes while the peaceful ones will never have Enlightened Characters that empower their civilizations -- which can be found throughout history more often than famous military men.

Comment

Originally posted by CYBERAmazon

POPPYCOCK. If I had an employee with that attitude, there would be an open door waiting and s/he'd have a boot in the arse to send him/her out said door.

I, of course, base my statement on the fact that I have plenty of bug-free software sitting on my computer.

Customers come first. If you screw them over, they will not return and I can guarantee you that word will spread of one's reputation. Why do you think Bridgestone/Firestone and Ford got stung so bad with their faulty tires? Because they were shoddy and folks got maimed and killed because of said shoddy product. Civ III isn't going to kill anyone by any means, but the idea is the same: ruined reputations.

It was a mistake to release a bug-filled game just to get the holiday rush. Now you have a whole bunch of people sitting at home with a buggy game, and not all of them are going to be able to just download a patch for it. Perhaps some will never notice the problems Civ III has as it stands right now, but I know enough of them will notice the problems and ... well, see my previous paragraph.

CYBERAmazon
              Amazon have you ever programmed before? I am going to collage right now and my major is computer science. When you code a programm you always make misstakes. I have never been able to write code that did not have bugs in it. That why programms of any kind are tested. But not ever occurance were a bug might occur can be tested because of the number of possibilties were one might pop up. Thus bugs do slip though the testing process because of this.

But Civ3 bugs I think are not a result of this. I think they knew about the bugs with air units, but just ran out of time to fix the problem and reasoned that they could fix it in a patch, which I think was a bad decission.
              Donate to the American Red Cross.
              Computer Science or Engineering Student? Compete in the Microsoft Imagine Cup today!.

Comment

Can't say I've run into any bugs yet myself, but then I've only had the game for a couple of days.

_My_ problem is that, compared to CTP2, the game doesn't have more than a few minor tweaks and changes. I mean, sure, if you haven't played any Civ game since Civ2, ok, it might pass for some major improvement. But even compared to SMAC, it's just more of the same. Compared to CTP2, even more so. Compared to CTP2 with all the mods, it's actually a step back.

I'm not saying it's a bad game, I'm saying it's a minor tweak of some (good) games that I _already_ _had_. I've seen free mods that bring more changes to a game. It's starting to look like the football games, which get re-released each year with just the names of the players changed. (Apparently there are enough sucke... erm... I mean fans, who'll buy the exact same game again just for that.)

So why did they need that much time to make and test it, anyway?

Comment

Originally posted by yin26
                  Agreed, if you compare Firaxis to total crap, they are surprisingly passable.
                  Agreed, if you compare yin to a 14 year old, he is surprisingly passable

DISCLAIMER! I am not a firaxis worshiper, I AM someone who is annoyed by yins constant negative comments, and how he spams like theres no tommorow.
                  "Nuke em all, let god sort it out!"

Comment

Pffff. What idiocy to expect Civ3 to be all-perfect bugwise from the V1.0.

"Oeh Aah... there is an Air Superiority bug! Aaaah what a disgrace upon the Name of Civilization and Sid! Heads must roll!"

How many of you remember that you could actually fortify fighters in open terrain in Civ2 before you patched it? Ooooops, guess the whiners forgot that even the mighty Civ2 wasn't spotless from the start, ey?

"Aaaah but what about the Privateer!? It has only 1 attack strength, while it should *obviously* have two! It's a Grand Shame that Civ3 unit stats have to be adjusted *after* V1.0! A true affront. A slap in the face of the devoted apolytoners. Boohooo!"

I guess ye whiners forgot that this was in Civ2 as well, huh? Remember the Cruise Missile for instance. Patch 1.2x or so changed it's Att. value.

Now I'd be much more concerned if there were to be no patches. If the patches came too sparingly. But as of now, the first patch is released at a reasonable date. No 60Mb Day-1 patch, that's good. And no 500K Month-3 patch either. All that remains now is to wait and see what the patch actually does.

Comment

It'll add a nice new icon to your desktop.
                      Orange and Tangerine Juice. More mellow than an orange, more orangy than a tangerine. It's alot like me, but without all the pulp.

~~ Shamelessly stolen from someone with talent.

Comment

It is common knowledge that a patch does not create a new icon, but rather changes the game files so that your Civ3 icon now points to the modified exe.

Comment

actually some games do create a new icon when they are updated. a game i purchased not too long ago created a new icon when i updated it. Crimson Skies updated the icon, and also i believe uo updated the icon when it patched as well... so alas... it is common knowledge that some patches DO update the icons

Comment

CyberAmazon,

can you plz name one of your bugfree applications ?
                            I'm curious !
                            Formerly known as "CyberShy"
                            Carpe Diem tamen Memento Mori

Comment

LOL! You guys crack me up!
                              I've been on these boards for a long time and I still don't know what to think when it comes to you -- FrantzX, December 21, 2001

"Yin": Your friendly, neighborhood negative cosmic force.

Comment

Originally Posted by Grim Legacy

Pffff. What idiocy to expect Civ3 to be all-perfect bugwise from the V1.0.

"Oeh Aah... there is an Air Superiority bug! Aaaah what a disgrace upon the Name of Civilization and Sid! Heads must roll!"

How many of you remember that you could actually fortify fighters in open terrain in Civ2 before you patched it? Ooooops, guess the whiners forgot that even the mighty Civ2 wasn't spotless from the start, ey?
                                You know what I never noticed that problem in Civ2. As a matter of fact I don't even remember patching Civ2 at all. I probably never tried to fortify a fighter in open terrain because it did not make sense. I think it is more unforgivable to state something in the manual as a feature and that feature does not work for the human player, but the AI players can use that feature. If I had noticed the fighter bug from civ 2 it would not have detracted from the game play and I am sure I would not even bother to complain about it. It's when the bugs are so obvious and surely could have been caught by play testing that I get upset. We are not talking minor bugs here. Yes, it is a disgrace upon the name of Civilization and Sid. It's such a cop out to blame the publisher's deadline as an excuse for releasing incomplete code.

Comment

Working...
                                X