New Post from Dan@FIRAXIS at CivFanatics.com

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Post from Dan@FIRAXIS at CivFanatics.com

Whatever happened to Dan? Can we not get ANY kind of feedback from Firaxis? So there will be a patch next week? What will it address? Will be interesting to find out, I guess.

Dan posts on this thread and talks about why we can't be told the details of the patch. Check it out.

My favorite comment he makes is:
    Of course the game has bugs.
    LOL! Sure, lack of proper testing will pretty much guarantee that, eh? Of course of course.
    I've been on these boards for a long time and I still don't know what to think when it comes to you -- FrantzX, December 21, 2001

"Yin": Your friendly, neighborhood negative cosmic force.

Comment

Ho boy ho boy ho boy! I like the comment that alot will be changed! Hopefully, with our gameplay testing under their belt (ahem), they can frost the cake...

Hoping for more expansive editor options (bombard options : destroy units, destroy improvements, destroy buildings, etc) and overall game improvements, as well as some optimizations for the speed (Nvidia fix) and interface updates.

It'll almost be like getting Civ3.5...

Venger

Comment

My post on Civ Fanatics

Subject: Obviously Not Too Many Civer's Have Played Ultima Online

I have, and I fully understand why Firaxis is not giving details on whats in the patch. As Dan stated, in process of developing software it sometimes necessary to change or entirely remove features which were planned or implemented in the beginning. Ultima Online is constantly releasing patches for their game and in the past had made a habit of promising or eluding to certain changes which never came to be. This did nothing but infuriate the player community. I'm just glad Firaxis announced they are working on the patch and gave a tenative release date. That's a lot better some other companies have done *cough* Origin *cough*.

Me at home playing CivIII -------> "I am a above the law!"
        "Decadent Western Infidel On Board"
        "Even Hell Has It's Heroes"

Comment

Agreed, if you compare Firaxis to total crap, they are surprisingly passable.
          I've been on these boards for a long time and I still don't know what to think when it comes to you -- FrantzX, December 21, 2001

Comment

Originally posted by yin26
            Agreed, if you compare Firaxis to total crap, they are surprisingly passable.
            I think they'd be at least passable if you compared them to most game development houses.
            kmj

Comment

yin, to quote half a sentence out of context is a bit cheap!

anyone who couldn't see the game wasn't finished (no beta, no demo and features being dropped at the last moment) deserved what they(percieved) they got

Comment

anyone who couldn't see the game wasn't finished (no beta, no demo and features being dropped at the last moment) deserved what they(percieved) they got
                So it's our fault for buying a buggy and incomplete game because we were so naive to trust that Firaxis/Infogames would complete it before they released it?

Give me a break, it's apologeticism like this that's ruining the gaming industry.

Comment

Dan from Firaxis said :

"However, it's entirely possible that testing could cause the patch to "reset" (restarted after a fix is made). "

I think it's a bit late for Firaxis to hide behind the "not until it's been fully tested" response. They had their chance to do it right the first time. I know software will always have some bugs, but the blatantly obvious game play problems (like the Air superiority bug) are really indefensible IMO. I really think these problems are a result of Firaxis losing the talented Brian Reynolds. Maybe my anger will subside and I will be able to enjoy this game with the release of this patch.

Comment

Cian, you couldn't see that coming? like i say the game had no public beta testing, no demo and then at the last moment it became apparent the game had no MP...and the thought never crossed your mind that there may be gameplay issues? you're a second hand car salemans dream!

neville chamberlian eat your heart out..

Comment

But a vast majority of gamers don't sit on the Net clocking in the thread hours we do. That said, I don't trust ANY companies these days. Period. But I watch their follow-up very carefully.

Comment

Originally posted by number6

I think it's a bit late for Firaxis to hide behind the "not until it's been fully tested" response.
                        I don't think they're hiding behind anything. AFAICT, It's two different situations: They were under contractual obligation to have the game released by a specific deadline and they didn't meet it. Now, they're working on the patch to fix bugs that they probably knew about but couldn't get fixed, and they have no deadline. Like it or not, I'll bet you a dollar to a dime that's the situation; and I don't blame the employees of fireaxis, really. I'm having fun playing the game right now; maybe I'll have more fun when the patch is out.

Yin is right to mistrust the gaming industry, as they will do whatever they can get away with in order to maximize profits. Fact is, optimal consumer satisfaction does not necessarily mean optimal profits, and I doubt you'll see any significant grassroots efforts to change this anytime soon.
                        kmj

Comment

Yin i used to think your a pessimist...and a bit annoying....how wrong i was, your pragmatic and think the way i do..... i am saddened by this game they call civ3.....

its not worthy of that title...this is something activision would release
                          Boston Red Sox are 2004 World Series Champions!

Comment

War4ever: Thanks for that. Of course, it could well be that we are *both* annoying pessimists? LOL! Naw, I think it's a mix of two things:

A) The general public has rather low expectations (most people, I've found, are pretty happy just to kill some time with a distraction of most any kind) and
                            B) Firaxis targetted the general public and not the hardcore fan. The question there, though, is: Are games made for the hardcore fan and the general public mutually exclusive? Apparently Firaxis thinks they are ... thus, in my mind, they are showing themselves to be something of a lightweight developing house. Sid has always liked the 'light and easy' approach to games, but it just seems to me that in the past 25 years (I'm now 30), I've come to want a bit more from my games.

So why hang around here? I guess, like you, I'm curious to see what will be patched. I'm no religious man, but even I'll get up from my chair to watch a miracle.

Comment

Thanks for droping us a hint, aznblader!
                              "Kids, don't listen to uncle Solver unless you want your parents to spank you." - Solver

Comment

Working...
                              X