Civ III good or bad??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Civ III good or bad??

Well,it has been a few weeks now,so most of you got past the hysteria of the fisrt few days.What do you think of this Civ game??
    good,bad, annoying as hell,could be worse,heaven on earth???
    How many bugs did you already catch bugging you??

Shade
    Heaven on earth/Perfection is here.
    3.47%
    Way better than I expected.
    23.61%
    Just plain good as it should be.
    25.00%
    Could be better.
    26.39%
    Bye Bye hope...back to civ II.
    7.64%
    It's bad...to many buggs bugging me.
    6.94%
    Just a waste of my money.
    4.86%
    If Hell exists this must be it.
    2.08%
    Last edited by shade; December 1, 2001, 11:54.
    ex-president of Apolytonia former King of the Apolytonian Imperium
    "I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work." --Thomas Alva Edison (1847-1931)
    shameless plug to my site:home of Civ:Imperia(WIP)

just plain good as it should be.

I think that best describes it. I very fun game with nice new features. But it could have been better.

Comment

Its better than CIV2 but not 'better than expected'. Of course, that's probably due to very high expectations given that it is a true CIV title.
      Rule 37: "There is no 'overkill'. There is only 'open fire' and 'I need to reload'."
      http://www.schlockmercenary.com/ 23 Feb 2004

Comment

Civ 2 was a game I played because it entertained me (lots). Civ 3 is doing the same... so the answer is "as good as it should be". Of course, I'm very disapointed at the lack of scenerio support -- in Civ 2, that was all I ever played -- but all in its due time, all in its time... Maybe I just need to pick up a copy of Civ 2/SMAC (my copy of Civ 2 was for the mac, now working on windows) for scenerios...

-- adaMada
        Civ 3 Democracy Game:
        PTW Game: Proud member of the Roleplay Team, and Ambassador to Glory of War
        Intersite PTW Game: Member of Apolyton

Comment

Let me put it this way since I have played Civ2, Alpha Centauri, and Civ3 each extensively.

Civ3 is a lot better than Civ2 but not alpha centauri, which have a slight edge over Civ3 in terms of depth and some extra game features.
          Webmaster of Blizzard Chronicles

Comment

I'm gone for half an hour and already that much response.

I really am interested in what all of you think about it,since I hear/heared(ie read) quite some opposing opinions about it.
            (if you look at the thread page here it looks quite negative)

Shade
            "I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work." --Thomas Alva Edison (1847-1931)

Comment

Hype got so high, I was prepared for a let down. Didn't happen, the game is better than I expected. Keeps me going night after night, with my wife riding me about the time I spend on it. Voting seems mostly positive, too.
              No matter where you go, there you are. - Buckaroo Banzai
              "I played it [Civilization] for three months and then realised I hadn't done any work. In the end, I had to delete all the saved files and smash the CD." Iain Banks, author

Comment

I haven't played CIV in a while (over a year). I went out as soon as the game came out in the UK and paid the full price. For the last two weekends I haven't been out on the usual weekend bashes (pubs, nightclubs raves till 6 in the morning).
                Started a game on friday night 7pm went to bed saturday afternoon about 12. Woke up saturday night at nine and played through till sunday night.
                I reckon two more weekends like this I will have saved over 600 pounds (last month spent nearly two thousand pounds).

Comment

I really enjoy playing it, and I think it is definitely better than Civ2, which was my favourite game, but I voted "Could be better" because, well, it could be. Blaupanzer's post is right on the spot. It seems that alot of people were pissed because Civ3 isn't revolutionary, but I wasn't expecting a revolution, just a fun game.
                  kmj

Comment

It seems that alot of people were pissed because Civ3 isn't revolutionary,
                    that is probably the reason why 30% thinks it could be better.
                    What I ask myself is:"are those graphics not bothering you to get a clear and quick view of how land is distributed(grass,irrigation,...)"I get this impression when I look at the screenshots.

Shade(back up so some more ppl can place there opinion so it really becomes a global view of the community)

Comment

There's a big problem with this poll, I'm afraid: The options aren't mutually exclusive.

The problem is with "could be better", since any one of the options other than the first one can be chosen along with "could be better". In other words, all the catagories but the first can also be catagorised as "could be better".

You'd expect a huge distortion of the results in the favour of the "could be better" category.

Comment

It's one of the worst games I've ever played. It's shallow. It's a micro-management nightmare.
                        I've been on these boards for a long time and I still don't know what to think when it comes to you -- FrantzX, December 21, 2001

"Yin": Your friendly, neighborhood negative cosmic force.

Comment

There are so many things I hate about this game... some of which can be fixed in a patch... the only problem is: It still posesses the addictive qualtities of heroin and other barbituates. I can't stop playing... so could you guys at Firaxis just fix it so that the time I DO spend playing wont be broken by intermittant bouts of swearing and striking of the monitor.
                          My Message Board:http://www.naughtybooth.com
                          Completely un-civ related, but still fun.

Comment

I bought it thinking it would be a fun little thing to pass the time with (i am NOT a Civ fanatic), however it sucked me straight in and won't let me go. Civ1 didn't do it to me, SMAC didn't do it for me, and i never played Civ2. I liked Civ and SMAC but never really got into them. I am totally absorbed in Civ3.

Therfore, WAY better than i expected.

Comment

Originally posted by yin26
                              It's one of the worst games I've ever played. It's shallow. It's a micro-management nightmare.
                              First of all, my apologies for being slow and not paying attention. :P

Now, my question. Since when did you hate the game? I thought you were impressed. Your first impression, but impressed nonetheless.

If you could direct me to a thread or give me a quick run-down I'd be grateful.

Comment

Working...
                              X