No announcement yet.

Infinite movement on rail??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yeah, but if they lower the effect of railroads + make them harder to build(resourse dependancy) we would be looking a system thats been weakend a lot from civ2 and I'm not sure the old system was THAT unbalanced.

Comment

Originally posted by Venger
      Have to agree with this, although I also think a movement of 1/10 improves the game by making it impossible to guard your continent with just 10 units...

IMO Civ 3 actually compensates for this by making the AI more likely to pick on you if you are weak, so there is a definite penalty for trying to manage an empire with a pocket size defence force. Even if you have tanks and they have muskets, if they outnumber you 4-1 they will be demanding techs and money. If you want to be a peaceful builder you need the guns to enforce your right to privacy even if you never use them.

I thought I would hate the infinite movement but only in your country system but it works much better than I anticipated.
      To doubt everything or to believe everything are two equally convenient solutions; both dispense with the necessity of reflection.
      H.Poincaré

Comment

Have to agree. Infinite moves sin't very normal, and moves corresponding to unit and not train isn't perfect too.
        Go GalCiv, go! Go Society, go!

Comment

Originally posted by Grumbold

IMO Civ 3 actually compensates for this by making the AI more likely to pick on you if you are weak, so there is a definite penalty for trying to manage an empire with a pocket size defence force.
          Oh, I'm not weak...my forces are off where they are needed though.

Even if you have tanks and they have muskets, if they outnumber you 4-1 they will be demanding techs and money. If you want to be a peaceful builder you need the guns to enforce your right to privacy even if you never use them.
          Peaceful builder? What's that?

I thought I would hate the infinite movement but only in your country system but it works much better than I anticipated.
          I agree with removing unlimited rail in enemy territory, but to not use roads is just nuts...

Venger

Comment

Im just glad that they wont let you use enemy rails anymore.I thought that was silly.

You should be able to use their roads though at 1/2 movement to simulate roadblocks, mines and such and their rails should also be considered roads to you.
            Die-Bin Laden-die

Comment

civ 2 let infinite moves. and i like the "feature". "newbies"(sigh)

Comment

If you had a 2/3 movement unit in Civ1, you could attack while on a RR, goto a city and sentry, unsentry and attack again. Forever. I really think it would've been better if all units travelling by rail went 1/6 or even higher, but not infinite.

And now that you can't use you're opponents infrastructure, defending your land will be a breeze in MP.
                "Careful? Was my mother careful when she stabbed me in the heart with a coat hanger while I was still in the womb?" -SP

Comment

Planes absolute

Venger:
                  Airplanes in this game have no limit on the range of movement for the rebase command- so planes can be flown accross the entire world in a turn and of course, you can transport certain units by air also without any range, and thus time, restriction. If anything, instead of making rail weaker, make roads faster, double or triple their movement ability. I do agree that ships move very little. The rpoblem there in that if noe edits units and gives them the ability for multiple attacks, you would get units with 10-20 attacks per turn.
                  If you don't like reality, change it! me
                  "Oh no! I am bested!" Drake
                  "it is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong" Voltaire
                  "Patriotism is a pernecious, psychopathic form of idiocy" George Bernard Shaw

Comment

CtP was 1/5. That worked quite well. Infinite movement across mountain railways is not realistic. Try taking a train down the Andes in a day.
                    Concrete, Abstract, or Squoingy?
                    "I don't believe in giving scripting languages because the only additional power they give users is the power to create bugs." - Mike Breitkreutz, Firaxis

Comment

The rail system is fun to make and defend. However, it makes the navy seem to move too slowly. Wonders can improve the movement of the navy. Still, modern naval systems can make the world a smaller place which is realistic. The train is faster than the navy in real life (in Civ. III, the modern navy is too slow).

Originally posted by bahoo
                      I like the rail system, but what bothers me is it takes close to 10 years for me to move my boats across the world for a naval attack.

Comment

Originally posted by Venger

Peaceful builder? What's that?

Venger
                        It's what you do in between wars.
                        Libraries are state sanctioned, so they're technically engaged in privateering. - Felch
                        I thought we're trying to have a serious discussion? It says serious in the thread title!- Al. B. Sure

Comment

Originally posted by Eli

Ehhm... So you can move a pikeman in 100AD a distance of 30-40 tiles from one part of your empire to another in one turn?
                          To his credit, that IS 30 years or somesuch.

-mario
                          "I am Misantropos, and hate Mankinde."
                          - Timon of Athens
                          "I know you all."
                          - Prince Hal

Comment

Re: Infinite movement on rail??

Originally posted by conquistadore
                            i know this is welcomed by many players but i have some doubts over whether is this a good system at all. Come on, the fastest train in the world (TGV?) cant travel the globe in one day
                            1 turn in civ at the later stages represents 1 year. surely normal trains can transport people around the world in 1 yr. hell, even serbian trains could do that LOL

Comment

You're not alone man, I wish the rails didn't allow infinite movement, too. Maybe they'll allow that to be edited in the patch for...oh wait, I forgot, this is Firaxis we're talking about. Nevermind. It will remain infinite forever.
                              Yes, I am the King of Babylon.
                              No, you don't have to bow if you don't want to.

<~~Balloons are the BEST!

Comment

Infinate rail movement is fine with me. Actually makes it a reward for building all those bloody rail connections, unlike roads, which, although do give an advantage, don't give "that much" of an advantage.

Air movement has been fixed up as well, which is good.

The only problem is the naval movement is just....silly. I know, it's a gameplay thing, but 20 years around the world....come on, it didn't even take the 15th/16th c. explorers that long!
                                If the voices in my head paid rent, I'd be a very rich man

Comment

Working...
                                X