Infinite movement on rail??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Infinite movement on rail??

i know this is welcomed by many players but i have some doubts over whether is this a good system at all. Come on, the fastest train in the world (TGV?) cant travel the globe in one day! It doesnt make sense that the enemy can send 20 infantry from the other end of the world to reinforce his frontlines in a single turn. This has taken the element of surprise in combat outta the game completely.

The CTP system is that rail increases movement by 6 times but i've misgivings about that too. Do you mean to say that a cavalry on rail can move faster than a marine on rail? Well, its the train that's moving and not the horse or the guy!

What i'll really like to see is that all units on rail have the SAME movement points but not InFINITE mp. Comments anyone?

PS: Sorry, kinda confused CTP with civ 2...thanks for correcting me. Feeling a bit stupid right now..
    Last edited by conquistadore; November 23, 2001, 23:55.
    " I'll be back", Gen. Douglas MacArthur after surrendering Philippines to the Japanese.

Erm ... Railroads always allowed infinite movement, this is not a new feature.

Comment

In Civ2 Railroad also gave infinite moves.
      "Beware of he who would deny you access to information, for in his heart he dreams himself your master" - Commissioner Pravin Lal.

Comment

You must be thinking about Ctp. I think it had 1/6 movment in it.

Comment

I like it, i guess most ppl do, were all gonna think u r an odd bod now.
          Im sorry Mr Civ Franchise, Civ3 was DOA

Comment

I think that ~10-15 moves on rail(ala CTP2) is the best choice. It is much more realistic, and you still can move troops in reasonable time from opposite parts of your empire.
            "Beware of he who would deny you access to information, for in his heart he dreams himself your master" - Commissioner Pravin Lal.

Comment

What do you mean by 'the old Civ 2 system'? The original Civ 2 created by Sid provides infinte move on rail in a turn too...

No doubt that a unit couldn't travel around the world with railway in reality. But take note that one turn in Civ doesn't equal to one day, it is equal to, at minimal scale, one YEAR! 365 days! Reasonable enough.

I believe this rule greatly refect the importance of railway in human history...
              "640K ought to be enough for anybody."
              -- Bill Gates, Microsoft founder, 1981

Comment

It makes perfect sense to me. In Civ3, the shortest a turn ever lasts is one year. You can cross the United States in a matter of days on a choo-choo, so do the math from there.

Comment

True - but so can you on a road. In fact you could probably walk around the earth (ignore the fact that there is water ) in a year. It's just a gameplay question.

Comment

Actually, what I've hoped for for years - but will probably never happen - is a system where movement in tiles that were visible to you at the start of the turn costs zero movement points, and movement points are only expended when moving into tiles that were either unexplored or covered by fog of war when the turn started. Naval units would only expend movement points when entering tiles that were previously unexplored; fog of war would have no effect [for naval units, if you've been there before you can get there again].

This would help "fix" the movement/turn time disparities prevalent in the game without allowing the player to instantly explore the entire globe.

Comment

Originally posted by Ludwig
                      Actually, what I've hoped for for years - but will probably never happen - is a system where movement in tiles that were visible to you at the start of the turn costs zero movement points, and movement points are only expended when moving into tiles that were either unexplored or covered by fog of war when the turn started. Naval units would only expend movement points when entering tiles that were previously unexplored; fog of war would have no effect [for naval units, if you've been there before you can get there again].

This would help "fix" the movement/turn time disparities prevalent in the game without allowing the player to instantly explore the entire globe.
                      Ehhm... So you can move a pikeman in 100AD a distance of 30-40 tiles from one part of your empire to another in one turn?
                      And if you're talking about space visible only to this particular unit, why not simply increasing the MP by 1 for all units?

Comment

Why not keep it the way it is. It might not be historically right, but its a game and it makes for good game play.

Comment

I like the rail system, but what bothers me is it takes close to 10 years for me to move my boats across the world for a naval attack.

Comment

Originally posted by Frito
                            Why not keep it the way it is. It might not be historically right, but its a game and it makes for good game play.
                            Have to agree with this, although I also think a movement of 1/10 improves the game by making it impossible to guard your continent with just 10 units...

Nothing about the movement in Civ is correct - you can get your train across the map in one turn, but not your airplane, boat, or car? Goofy. But the alterantively are to give EVERYTHING infinite movement, which doesn't work for obvious reasons, or have differing move rates for game balance. They chose the latter of course...

Venger

Comment

It always was infinite on Civ2, were di you get your game from Though I think six squares a turn is the best way
                              I have walked since the dawn of time and were ever I walk, death is sure to follow. As surely as night follows day.

Comment

Working...
                              X