No announcement yet.

Wonderless Wonders

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The wonder movies added a historical flavour to Civ 2. I would have liked to see it, but unlike the other posters, i believe using pre-rendered art kept the look/feel of the game. The wonder movies brought me out of it.
    AI:C3C Debug Game Report (Part1) :C3C Debug Game Report (Part2)
    Strategy:The Machiavellian Doctrine
    Visit my WebsiteMonkey Dew

Comment

Well, nothing could really be more subjective than this question. For me, the wonder movies were an integral part of the Civ experience--it is the new static shots that bring me out of the flow of the game, since every time I see one I feel stopped short, waiting for something that is missing. (Of course, anyone new to Civ would not have this feeling). I really doubt that the omission of the movies was a game flow decision, whatever Firaxis might say. They obviously made the decision (and were probably not incorrect) that the movies were not worth the expense of production since many people could not care less and newcomers would not miss them. And most people who really lament their absence (like me) are playing the game anyway.
      I remember every detail. The Germans wore gray, you wore blue.

Comment

I'm glad they took them out. If I wanted to watch a movie, I'd rent a DVD.

Comment

Originally posted by Mister Hand
          I'm glad they took them out. If I wanted to watch a movie, I'd rent a DVD.
          And if I wanted to hear snappy smart-ass comebacks, I wouldn't be at this forum.
          Lime roots and treachery!
          "Eventually you're left with a bunch of unmemorable posters like Cyclotron, pretending that they actually know anything about who they're debating pointless crap with." - Drake Tungsten

Comment

The game definately lacks historical flavor compared to the previous games. It's a better game as far as game mechanics goes, but it lacks atmosphere.

Comment

Originally posted by TheDarkside
              The wonder movies were awesome, I think Leonardo's workshop was my fav... I don't really mind the omittion too much since you gotta wonder if we'd be playing civ3 right now if they had to make mvoies for all the wonders...
              Exactly!

Firaxis didn't leave them out because no one cared for them; it was just too much work to do new ones for Civ 3. It's a testament to how lazy the son's of motherless dogs are; just look at how many bugs are in the BETA version they gave us!

Comment

I loved the movies and I see the lack of wonder movies in Civ3 (and MP, and more then four govs, and uncontrolable corruption) as evidience that corners were cut.
                Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

For starters, Civ 3 comes on one disc. So yes, its obvious they were skimping.

But the upside here is that I don't have to juggle with 2 discs.
                  AI:C3C Debug Game Report (Part1) :C3C Debug Game Report (Part2)
                  Strategy:The Machiavellian Doctrine
                  Visit my WebsiteMonkey Dew

Comment

I find it also somewhat uncool, that we don´t get anything for inventing a tech/conquering a city. Not even the sound of marching troops. (or some Ah´s and Oh´s)
                    Now, if I ask myself: Who profits from a War against Iraq?, the answer is: Israel. -Prof. Rudolf Burger, Austrian Academy of Arts

Free Slobo, lock up George, learn from Kim-Jong-Il.

Comment

Not Really missing the Movies..

At first the movies in Civ II were a nice diversion, but shortly there after the thrill was gone, (I do miss Leonardo's movie). In Civ III, the first wonder I built was a disappointment without the movie, but when the technologies started rolling in...well, I wasn't too upset. To combat the disappointment I utillize the little eyeball button that comes up with that whimpy little wonder picture and view a little piece of the world I've been building.

All in all.. I think the improvements made in Civ III over Civ II out wiegh the shortcomings

Zardose..

PS. I will be D/L that wondersinfo mod

Comment

Working...
                      X