Wonderless Wonders

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wonderless Wonders

Okay... this is just a general meaningless rant... but hey, if you don't like it, go someplace else!

WONDERS...

What's up with the wonders?

You work on something for hundreds of years, and what's the big payoff? A simple screen shot of what it is... no info, no jubilation, no movies of how wonderful it is... just a still shot...

Okay... nothing to see here... move along!

I'm sure some people didn't care for the Civ2 wonder movies, but heck, I loved them every time they came up... the music, the video, everything just made me think... wow, that was worth it!

Now, you get nadda... nothing... zero... zilch... just a picture... not even any info (now I know about the info patch by a fellow gamer, which is GREAT, but I'm talking about what Sid & co. schlocked out the door).

I miss the Civ2 videos and music... Johan Bach's cathedral and the "music video"... all that cool stuff just gone like sands in the hourglass... Civ3's wonders are rather wonderless!!!
    Wolfshanze Mod: for BtS... adds "flavored Civs", coal-fired navies, WWI units, plus Poland, Austria & Vietnam to Civ4!

I agree. It was rather disapointing to see how much was chinced out of the product.
    The other guys are always barbarians

Comment

Couldn't agree more. One of the reasons I worked so hard to get all the wonders was to see the movies over and over, it was like a a minor win. It was a big dissapointmenmt when I finished my first wonder and I got a general message with a weak picture. Maybe one of the genius editors out there can find a way for civ 3 to reference the civ 2 movies wonce a wonder is built.

Comment

Keep in mind that a lot of people thought the wonder movies were useless. I keep them on because I like them, but you can't be catered to all the time. Firaxis needs to focus on other issues right now.
        Lime roots and treachery!
        "Eventually you're left with a bunch of unmemorable posters like Cyclotron, pretending that they actually know anything about who they're debating pointless crap with." - Drake Tungsten

Comment

I didn't really care about the Civ2 wonder movies, but I must agree that these simple screenshots feel rather cheap...
          In een hoerekotje aan den overkant emmekik mijn bloem verloren,
          In een hoerekotje aan den overkant bennekik mijn bloemeke kwijt

Comment

I miss the movies to.

Comment

i always thought the general feeling was that after the first time, not many people care for the movies. that's how i feel.

and they take up alot of space
              Prince of...... the Civ Mac Forum

Comment

I miss the wonder movies greatly and for me (though, obviously, many disagree) their absence is a real loss to the charm of Civ. I rarely hit esc on the movies in Civ2 even when seeing them for the umpteenth time--they were wonderfully put together, and the best of them inspired a true sense of awe. The static shots in the game now really leave me unsatisfied--sort of like coitus interruptus.
                I remember every detail. The Germans wore gray, you wore blue.

Comment

Originally posted by RickBlaine
                  I miss the wonder movies greatly and for me (though, obviously, many disagree) their absence is a real loss to the charm of Civ. I rarely hit esc on the movies in Civ2 even when seeing them for the umpteenth time--they were wonderfully put together, and the best of them inspired a true sense of awe. The static shots in the game now really leave me unsatisfied--sort of like coitus interruptus.
                  I wouldn't know about that.

Comment

I must admit i was pretty disappointed after building my first wonder. I was really looking forward to some awesome new wonder videos. Unlike many others I never turned off my wonder videos, seeing that video gave you some sense of achievement. What do we get now?

Comment

Bah. Good riddance to worthless effort. I turned them off after seeing maybe a third.
                      By working faithfully eight hours a day, you may get to be a boss and work twelve hours a day.

Comment

The wonder movies were awesome, I think Leonardo's workshop was my fav... I don't really mind the omittion too much since you gotta wonder if we'd be playing civ3 right now if they had to make mvoies for all the wonders...

Comment

The movies were great. I hope to see them in the new patch.

Comment

The civ2 wonder movies were nice, even if SMAC's Secret Project movies had them beat easily.

I want them back.
                            -bondetamp
                            The trouble with fighting for human freedom is that one spends most of one's time defending scoundrels. For it is against scoundrels that oppressive laws are first aimed, and oppression must be stopped at the beginning if it is to be stopped at all.
                            -H. L. Mencken

Comment

I sorely miss the Wonder Movies too. They served not only as a entertaining reward, but as a good break sometimes as well! Playing on a LAN with others made it *excellent* as your competitors would suffer hearing the music to your Great Library you just made or the money of Adam Smith's Stock Exchange ringing for you!

Suggestion: Even IF they don't make new Civ3 Wonder Movies at the very least they could allow us to import Civ2 (or other movies for the wonders) if we wanted to. I don't necessarily need new wonder movies, the old ones were EXCELLENT! Just anything is better than the 25cent postcard images we see now.

Comment

Working...
                              X