"Contact" victory?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Contact" victory?

The absolute weirdest thing happened to my Civ3 game tonight, and I'm becoming convinced that I have found an undocumented victory condition.

Basically, I was playing the Greeks and working on a spaceship victory when I suddenly received a message that SETI had made first contact and I was the winner. It happened so suddenly that it really didn't sink in until after it asked me if I wanted to continue playing. At first I thought it had something to do with the spaceship, but the "Hall of Fame" screen shows the victory as "Contact".

Someone please tell me they have seen this as well, or am I the first to find this?
    "Barbarism is the natural state of mankind... Civilization is unnatural. It is a whim of circumstance. And barbarism must always triumph."

Looks like you might have found an easter egg? Can someone at Firaxis or someone who is adept at looking at the game files or code confirm this?

Comment

What did the end-leader screen look like? You know, where all the leaders get to say things towards you (diplomatic victory has treaties, space has the interior of the ship, etc.)

Comment

screenshot?

Comment

Originally posted by Keyser Soze 0
          What did the end-leader screen look like? You know, where all the leaders get to say things towards you (diplomatic victory has treaties, space has the interior of the ship, etc.)
          Not sure what you mean. I played for a few more turns before it sank in that the game was over. I was still trying to build spaceship components, LOL! After that I retired and looked at the hall of fame.

Anyway, I think this was a totally cool way to win.

I've attached a screenshot of the Hall of Fame. I am a little hesitant to post this because I probably hold the record for all-time lowest score -- that's what happens when you don't leave a defender in your first city.

Also, I learned the hard way to not use the UN unless you are sure you that you have a majority of the votes! The Contact win is the same game, reloaded before the UN vote.

BTW, I had to crop the screenshot to 600 pixels wide in order to upload it. I tried shrinking it, but the text was illegible when I did that, so I cropped it instead.
          Last edited by Ray K; November 13, 2001, 10:25.
          "Barbarism is the natural state of mankind... Civilization is unnatural. It is a whim of circumstance. And barbarism must always triumph."

Comment

Originally posted by Ray K

BTW, I had to crop the screenshot to 600 pixels wide in order to upload it. I tried shrinking it, but the text was illegible when I did that, so I cropped it instead.
            OK, let me try to upload it again. It didn't seem to work. Now when I try to upload it, it says "The image that you have attached is too big. Please make it no bigger than 600 x 0."

I've cropped it from 1024x768 to 600x600 and saved it at 90% jpg. The file is 124K. why can't I upload it?

Comment

Originally posted by Ray K

OK, let me try to upload it again. It didn't seem to work. Now when I try to upload it, it says "The image that you have attached is too big. Please make it no bigger than 600 x 0."

I've cropped it from 1024x768 to 600x600 and saved it at 90% jpg. The file is 124K. why can't I upload it?

Maybe this will work. I have the full screenshot if anyone wants it.

(edit: I figured out what I was doing wrong with the upload. Here is a more complete shot, without the bottom cropped off)
              Attached Files
              Last edited by Ray K; November 12, 2001, 00:08.

Comment

that's definitely interesting.... i wonder what the chance of that happening is?

Comment

Wow, an even more random way to win the game. The next obvious question is how do you turn off "contact" victory?

Comment

I smell a hoax.

I found the place where the Victory Type strings are stored (Civilization III\Text\labels.txt line 848) and this is all I found:

None
                    Domination
                    Military
                    Cultural
                    Diplomatic
                    Space Race
                    Retired
                    Rank
                    Score

I did try to change these strings and the changes were appropriatley reflected in my hall of fame rankings (this could also have been done for the above screen shot).

So either Firaxis went to *great* lengths to hide this from us, or it's a hoax.
                    Last edited by DaddyCool; November 12, 2001, 01:02.
                    You're civin' like a fool, but what about DaddyCool?

Comment

Well, if this is a hoax, bravo, to both of you for pulling the veil over and removing it.

If not, and if, in fact, there is no string in the editable files to reflect it, this could become a problem for scenario creators.

Need a decent editor first, but let's say I make, say, a Powerpuff Girls scenario. Townsville has the "MoJo JoJo's Lab" wonder, with the attributes of SETI program, to reflect the awesome evil research created by MoJo JoJo himself. Unfortunately, if contact victory is possible, my Powerpuff Girls scenario could be ruined by a random "contact victory" for MoJo JoJo. What could be worse?

Comment

someone else building mojojojo's lab and making contact

Comment

Originally posted by DaddyCool
                          I smell a hoax.

I found the place where the Victory Type strings are stored (Civilization III\Text\labels.txt line 848) and this is all I found:

None
                          Domination
                          Military
                          Cultural
                          Diplomatic
                          Space Race
                          Retired
                          Rank
                          Score

I did try to change these strings and the changes were appropriatley reflected in my hall of fame rankings (this could also have been done for the above screen shot).

So either Firaxis went to *great* lengths to hide this from us, or it's a hoax.
                          That's very interesting, but it doesn't explain why the game suddenly ended. I know what happened. I'll restart from a saved game and see if it happens again. If it does, I'll get a screenshot of the victory message.

Comment

Creepy. I was just watching a couple of "ET" programs on Discovery Channel.

I smell a conspiracy. I shall be abducted tonight!

Still, this is utterly fascinating. If Contact is a victory, it was very clever to hide it somewhere in the game. Contact is an elusive thing in real life, and look what it's doing here! Fantastic!
                            To be one with the Universe is to be very lonely - John Doe - Datalinks

Comment

When it comes to UFO sightings, I'm just one of them skeptics
                              You're civin' like a fool, but what about DaddyCool?

Comment

Working...
                              X