Multiplayer Add On In March 2002 !

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Multiplayer Add On In March 2002 !

Maybe i should post it in the "availability"-Forum but I think its of MAJOR INTEREST :

In a german pcmag called "PC-Games" is a review of CIV 3. A really bad one (85%They are graphic-fetishists) BUT,
    they announce on p. 114 that they called Infogrames to get info on the postponed german version and got this answer :

There will be a multiplayer add-on in march 2002. It will be released at the same time as the german version.

This is supposed to be an official statement by INFOGRAMES.
    famous last words
    GM:"You see a giant glowing emerald lying on the ocean floor. It's bigger than your head and pulsates with inner light."
    PC:"Cool! I pick it up!"

is it a free add-on or just a way for them to make money off a patch?

Comment

The info is from INFOGRAMES (the publisher) so....

yea you will have to pay money for it.
      famous last words
      GM:"You see a giant glowing emerald lying on the ocean floor. It's bigger than your head and pulsates with inner light."
      PC:"Cool! I pick it up!"

Comment

Weeeelll, i for one will NEVER pay for that. infogames has treated the Civ 3 fans with contempt from the start. Firstly, theres the different release dates around the world (im still waiting, and so are many others). Ok im willing to concede that maybe they cant afford to do a worldwide release...

But just take a look at what other people are saying about the contents of the LE. People are paying extra for a collectable item, but upon opening it, they find the cds in cardboard packaging , a tiny tech-tree which is all but useless... and this is for the fans of the game who are giving infogames extra money.

I will buy Civ 3 once it comes out - infogames has me over a barrel on that one (cuz i really want Civ 3, and also want to support Firaxis), but i will really question ever buying an infogames game ever again. Or add-on.
        I'm building a wagon! On some other part of the internets, obviously (but not that other site).

Comment

Originally posted by Skanky Burns
          I will buy Civ 3 once it comes out - infogames has me over a barrel on that one (cuz i really want Civ 3, and also want to support Firaxis), but i will really question ever buying an infogames game ever again. Or add-on.
          Careful that the game wont make you eat your words. It's that addictive. You'll want to give your every penny to the next bum who claims to be from Infogrames and that he'll get you the patch early if you just paid him $200.

Comment

The best things infrogames could do right now: issue a general apology (preferably here) for its treatment of civers and forced early release and offer a FREE patch (w/ multiplayer and a respectable editor, of course). Paying more money for an addon with more units, victories, etc. is acceptable, but throwing them more cash to get what we originally assumed they would put in is simply not right. Somebody needs to get the message across to Infrogames that we aren't exactly an easy-to-please crowd ... much is expected of them!
            Last edited by Andreiguy; November 7, 2001, 21:40.

Comment

Originally posted by Andreiguy
              The best things infrogames could do right now: issue a general apology (preferably here) for its treatment of civers and forced early release and offer a FREE patch (w/ multiplayer and a respectable editor, of course). Paying more money for an addon with more units, victories, etc. is acceptable, but throwing them more cash to get what we originally assumed they would put in is simply not right. Somebody needs to get the message across to Infrogames that we aren't exactly an easy-to-please crowd ... much is expected of them!
              Naturaly they won't release an add-on pack that only provides multiplayer. They have to put extra things in there to justify it. This is always what happens, game y is released. Game y lacks a vital component that the fans really wanted. Manufacturer of game y makes excuses until they eventually release an add on pack. This add on pack includes above mentioned vital component. Fans go into an uproar. Manufacturer, however, points out that add on pack for game y contains other neat stuff too. Fans get duped, by add on pack.

If Infogrames is really dedicated to the Civ III fans, they will release a free patch that gives mulitplayer compatibility. I don't care if its 100mb, I'll wait 12 hours while my modem downloads it. They can still release the add on pack, naturally, with the perks like professional designed scenarios, etc.

BUT, here me now Infogrames for I believe I speak for most Civers on this issue, WE WILL NOT PAY FOR A COMPLETE SCENARIO EDITOR. WE WILL NOT PAY FOR MULTIPLAYER I know that it was announced weeks in advance that CivIII would not have multiplayer, but it was never announced that it would have a garbage map editor (for that's what it is, don't try to call it a scenario editor in its current state). Furthermore most people bought the game on the promise that Firaxis was working on something special for multiplayer. WE WILL NOT BE RIPPED OFF!!! If I have to wait 4 months for the add on pack to hit the bargain bin I will, but I will not pay more than $9.99 for it. This is if I pay for it at all.....
              A plane ticket to Afghanistan: $800
              A high powered sniper rifle: $1000
              A hotel with accessible roof and visibility: $100
              A shot at the head of a piece of **** like Osama bin Laden: Priceless. For everything else there's Master card.

Comment

I dunno about "most" civvers. I'll pay for multiplayer. Not really interested in scenarios though.

Comment

I think the MP version will be better than the SP - I'm not paying for Sp so I'm happy to play for the MP.
                  Any views I may express here are personal and certainly do not in any way reflect the views of my employer. Tis the rising of the moon..

Look, I just don't anymore, okay?

Comment

I'll pay up to $20.00 for an expansion pack that has a complete, good editor that will make Scenarios like Red Front possible, and Historical Starts, as well as Multiplayer that includes Hot-Seat/PBEM.

I'll be insulted, think it's terribly uncraftsmanlike, and I'll feel like the male equivalent of a whore, but I know me....I'LL STILL DO IT.
                    "Wait a minute..this isn''t FAUX dive, it's just a DIVE!"
                    "...Mangy dog staggering about, looking vainly for a place to die."
                    "sauna stories? There are no 'sauna stories'.. I mean.. sauna is sauna. You do by the laws of sauna." -P.

Comment

This is insane

We need to come together on this one, people. If this report is true, that multiplayer is coming out in MARCH as a separate add-on pack that you have to PAY for, we need to do everything in our power to ensure infogrames (and firaxis?) pays for this insult. We can't let them get away with this.

I was assuming that the first patch (next week? two weeks at most, I thought) would contain multiplayer, and all other basic fixes necessary to the game. Yes, I said BASIC. Multiplayer isn't something you pay for these days Firaxis...it just isn't. What would happen if Warcraft 3 came out without multiplayer, and three months later they put out an add-on pack for it??? There would be riots in the streets, dammit. It's complete bullsh*t.

We need to e-mail and complain, call and complain, send them very long nasty letters, continually post on this board until they release it in patch form for free! That's what we deserve...why the hell would we spend our hard-earned dollars (in the midst of a recession, no less) for a game missing several BASIC, NECESSARY features? This is fraud, thieft of our money.

ANYONE WHO HASN'T BOUGHT THE GAME YET, DON'T!

AND FOR DAMN SURE, NO ONE BUY THE F*CKING ADD-ON!

If we all boycott Firaxis and Infogrames, we'll be successful and get the patch for free. If not....well...we'll have to live with the insult. Unless...

Piracy in this case would be morally acceptable, I think. One person needs to buy it and just put it up on the web, cracked. I used to have respect for Firaxis, and formerly would never have even thought about stealing Civ3. But, to pay for the add on would be Firaxis/Infogrames stealing from us. We need to show them that this just isn't acceptable.

Comment

I totally agree.

Comment

I totally agree.
                          What does Infograme and Firaxis have in mind when they think they could release a game with tons of bug, no MP for $50, and then offer to fix the bugs and MP for another big $$$?
                          They think we are idiots?
                          ==========================
                          www.forgiftable.com/

Artistic and hand-made ceramics found only at www.forgiftable.com.

Comment

Y'all are nuts, you realize this, don't you?

Ok guys, it's time to take a deeeeeep breath, count to 9 million (backwards) and think about this.

First off, no one has said officially that you'll have to pay for multiplayer, so it's a little early to be jumping the gun and threatening to to boycott Firaxis and Infogrames.

Secondly you must remember this: Firaxis and Infogrames are businesses. They don't make profit giving things away for free (on that note: Thank you to both Soren and Dan for both coming by daily the past week with advice and assistance. As far as I'm concerned, that goes far above and beyond the call of duty, and you both deserve a round of applause.) No matter how much we want things handed to us, it just isn't going to happen. If Infogrames feels it'll make more money by charging us for multiplayer, then guess what, were going to pay (and we will, regardless of what we say now).

Thirdly: Yes, we do have some legitimate gripes, especially with the Limited Edition (I want my ten dollars back) and the scenario editor. But in the first place, there's not too much we can do (unless you got it at Electronics Boutique, and can return it within seven days after the game's been opened and get a full refund. Then, you can buy the regular version), and in the second, Firaxis has already said that they're working on a patch.

So far, Firaxis has done pretty well by us. Dan and Soren don't have to be coming by here like this every day, but they do, and that's a pretty good reason to trust them, in my opinion. Stop complaining about how things aren't how you wanted them, and be greatful that the two of them are willing to keep working on the game to give us what we want.

Marc

Comment

Forget about the Single player goobers - bring out multiplayer as a stand alone game with all the bugs fixed!
                              Any views I may express here are personal and certainly do not in any way reflect the views of my employer. Tis the rising of the moon..

Look, I just don't anymore, okay?

Comment

Working...
                              X