Multiplayer Add On In March 2002 !

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

OK kiddies listen up. . .

I'm not sure how many of you are hard core gamers and how many of you are casual... by hardcore I mean to say that you follow gaming very close and know that people try to do dumb*** boycotts like this all the time. It never works, and I'm going to tell you why.

Even if everyone that posts on Apolyton returned their copy of Civ3, Infograms' profit wouldn't even be dented, proving that this is a great game.

You knew for a fact that when this game was released it didn't have multiplayer. And when you got the game from a "return friendly" store like EB, you saw that the editor was crap. After deciding Civ3 was not worth your money, you promptly returned the game. You did this because you realized that by keeping the game you are only saying, "This game is worth what I paid for it in its current condition." You people that are complaining about no multiplayer/crappy editor and an unfinished game DID return it right??? If not then you must be fairly content with your purchase?

It's worth the money to me, and alot of other people. And if I decide to play multiplayer Civ I'll buy the addon along with plenty of other people. Firaxis may be about making the best Civ ever, but Infogrames is about $$$. And believe it or not, they have people that figure out how many people will most likely buy a certain product in a certain condition. They time the release to maximize profit... October 30, just before the christmas shopping season. That way all the "serious" gamers can beta test the product for them so they can have the patch out by *gasp* Christmas morning. I don't like it, but I still buy hyped up games when they first come out... must be getting my money's worth.
    Thanks for reading,
    Mike

Comment

Well, this idiot shelled out $60 for the limited edition the day it came out. Usually I never buy a game before reading a review for it, but I bought Civ3 immediately because I loved Civs 1 and 2.

I would have no problem with them charging for a MP add-on as they've stated up front that MP is not in this release of Civ. However, they've taken their last dollar from me if they don't patch or elect to charge for the patch that fixes the bugs in this 1.07f release!

My List of Needed Fixes:
      1) Fortresses--broken
      2) Air Superiority--broken
      3) Great Lighthouse allows uninhibited ocean movement
      4) Captured city cultural revolutions 2 turns after capture
      5) Corruption absolutely crippling
      6) "REX"/"ICS" at newbie levels
      7) AI Constant Trespass ("Borders? What borders?")
      8) Moronic city governors
      9) The Million Dollar bug

Fix the first 5 and I'll consider my $60 well spent. Fix them all, and I'll consider it the best $60 I ever spent (if you don't count that one time at the club... ).

My $0.02!

Dar Steckelberg

Comment

Re: This is insane

Originally posted by The Unknown
        We need to come together on this one, people. If this report is true, that multiplayer is coming out in MARCH as a separate add-on pack that you have to PAY for, we need to do everything in our power to ensure infogrames (and firaxis?) pays for this insult. We can't let them get away with this.

ANYONE WHO HASN'T BOUGHT THE GAME YET, DON'T!

AND FOR DAMN SURE, NO ONE BUY THE F*CKING ADD-ON!
        I disagree. Yes, all of the hardcore civ fans are disappointed. But this is a company. These things happen. Sad but true. I won't go into how much crap the Ultima Online community has put up with broken promises like this, pretty much every other month. And then they find out they have to buy an expansion pack that is missing 1/2 of the features that were being promoted.

In the case of Civilization III, however, this game simply rocks. Even without the MP and scenarios, it is probably the best turn-based PC strategy game release to date. How do you expect them to pay for quality enhancements if they release it for free? Yes, there should be patches to fix gameplay issues, but not to add scenario support and multi-player. The development involved is just too much.

There is no mention of MP on the box, therefor, you get what you pay for. Civilization III is still a quality product, even though we can all imagine how great it would be with MP and scenarios. Sometimes a game comes around that is worth buying updates for, and this is one of them. Leave this banter for the games that have nothing but eyecandy. I will support any Civ3 addons Infogrames releases.

Comment

All of you all whining about having to pay for MP sound like whiniey children (OK some of you are children!)

If you wait a while, you can buy the game with MP. Just decide if the wait is worth it...

Comment

Instead of all these spirited defences of capitalism why don't all those of this ilk just post "kick me again".

It would save a lot of verbiage.
            Any views I may express here are personal and certainly do not in any way reflect the views of my employer. Tis the rising of the moon..

Look, I just don't anymore, okay?

Comment

I think up to $14.95 would be fair for an MP add on with expansion pack civs, fixed errors, and a completely redone editor ( VERY disappointed in the current one )

I'm not going to pretend that I won't pay for the add on if it's more expensive, becasue most likely I will, but it'll be a damn shame and a real insult to civers everywhere...and most importantly, THE civers that have been giving you our undying support from the beginning

Do the right thing Firaxis
              "Chegitz, still angry about the fall of the Soviet Union in 1991?
              You provide no source. You PROVIDE NOTHING! And yet you want to destroy capitalism.. you criminal..." - Fez

"I was hoping for a Communist utopia that would last forever." - Imran Siddiqui

Comment

Hey Orange, you should have just posted "kick me again"
                Any views I may express here are personal and certainly do not in any way reflect the views of my employer. Tis the rising of the moon..

Look, I just don't anymore, okay?

Comment

Originally posted by Alexander's Horse
                  Hey Orange, you should have just posted "kick me again"
                  Ummm....yeah...a computer game that you can buy or not (I haven't) is being kicked....yeah....

Comment

3) Great Lighthouse allows uninhibited ocean movement
                    Even the Civilopedia states now the GreatLighthouse allows for safe sea/ocean travel. They did this on purpose because the Great Lighthouse *sucked* in Civ2. Now it's actually useful. Perhaps too good.

Comment

Id pay up to about 20-25 dollars for an x-pack that had multiplayer if it also reverted to civ2 style combat so I could actually predict if my musketman will lose to their warriors :P

I don't think any of us was under the impression we was buying a multiplayer game when we paid, its not exactly fair to demand one for free now.

Things I do expect to see for free though:
                      Fixed editor (btw is it slow for anyone else? It doesn't even scroll smoothly for me and im running a 900 mz athlon Could be my video drivers though I guess)

An option is said editor to make bombardment (air and ground, hopefully seperately) lethal to units and ships.

Flat map options.

Fixed placement options.

Of course bug fixes But I have no doubt at all we'll get those.

Id also like to see the city reversion/resistors changed to more like civ2 style with all the fanatics popping up out of no where. If they can actually take the city back then its theirs ;P That or just abstract it out so that theres a chance any turn there is a resistor that a unit in the city is killed (and you get notice) from riots or what not, and if there are no units left it defects.

In any case after playing the game for a full week those are my complaints, overall I think the good overshadows the bad, but it has a definate "unfinished" and "untested" feel to it. Which actually says alot for how good it is that its still so much fun despite being so obviously rushed.

If none of that gets fixed though, id say its definately no rival to civ 2. The combat aspect is clearly inferior by design IMO, though the diplomacy and culture are good. Can't compare it to SMAC cause I never got around to buying it.

Comment

I don't understand why people are mad.

You knew from the start that civ 3 doesn't have multiplayer. They didn't lie to you. No one points a gun at you and force you to buy it. You purchased civ 3 knowing that it doesn't have multiplayer. You made the purchase decision yourself.

Now they offer a new product with multiplayer. Again, you can choose whether you like it or not. If you like it, buy it, if you don't like it, don't.

Where in the law does it say that games must have multiplayer included? Have they ever signed a contract that says civ 3 must have mp? Nope.

Its that simple.

If they say civ 3 has multiplayer and in the end it doesn't, that's fraud and its a different story. But that's not the case here.

Comment

Cool! I will definitely buy it.

Comment

I'll pay the full price for a pack with MP (PBEM) - couse I have not buyed the SP game version. I can wait as I have my CTP-PBEM's and now some free on-line games on www.samugames.com (Artifact).

That game have some advantages:
                            No real limit for number of players - you join until you are defeated or some else win the game.
                            You can restart in the same game, normally up to 10 times.
                            You can join/make an alliance and give permissions to other to control your units/cities/building while you are away.
                            Your units can HIDE and make ambushes.

Also some disadvantages:
                            Artifact itself are very simple in gameplay, small number of unittypes and buildings. But it could COULD actually be fun, if that type of game was ported over to a CTP or CIV type game!

This has been discussed before here: http://apolyton.net/forums/showthrea...threadid=29353
                            First they ignore you. Then they laugh at you. Then they fight you. Then you win.

Gandhi

Comment

A lot of people seem to be under the impression that just because they'll release MP is an add-on, they won't be doing any bug-fixing patches. I think it very unlikely. The add-on will be for bonus features like MP, that as a lot of people have pointed out, was made clear would not in Civ 3. But they'll take a good crack at fixing the bugs.

And I agree with whoever it was said that people try huge boycotts all the time and doesn't make (hardly) any difference at all.
                              - mkl

Comment

Also, please separate bugs from game design. Corruption IS manageable....why would I build Forbidden city if it were otherwise?

Comment

Working...
                                X