No announcement yet.

Its a shame they left out units on trade table

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I wholeheartedly agree. I was playing as America. The French and Irquis were on my continent, allied with Persia against Russia. Persia was also at war with Egypt, my great friend. To help Egypt would have started a world war on my home continent. If only I could have supplied Cleopatra with my advanced Cannons, Cavalry and Riflemen.
    To be one with the Universe is to be very lonely - John Doe - Datalinks

Comment

Heck, arms trading, why not?

I sign this one. Firaxis, take notice!

Comment

Definitely agree. Bump.

Comment

I hope a Firaxian sees this so they can offer any insight into wether this is being considered or not in a future update...

Comment

agreed. would be a major plus to diplomacy.

however, the benefits of unit trading to gameplay is so obvious that they couldnot have missed it (it was in Civ2 right) so if they didnot implement it i'm afraid there is something wrong with the idea.

Comment

But if it was intentionally left out, why isn't it mentioned in Chapter 5 of the manual.

Comment

I think it can be kept pretty simple too. The AI can value units as a function on their production cost. There would have to be a value in gold to be put for a production point, but not like rush building since unit trading will not take into account the consequences and difficulty in actually rushing it.

So you sell a unit to make money, of course it's up to you- you can just give them away, or of course with a political goal in mind!
                When your country is in a jam you can attempt to buy units (which is a good way to save money vs. rush building, or if you're country is laggin in military tech so you can get an edge or at least even the playing field)

Some other quick thoughts to consider (please provide your comments!)

I. Should trade embargoes take units into account?

I would say definately...

II. Should selling units to a nation at war decreases your favor by your client's opponent?

Again, this would be logical and not hard to implement. But it would add a new facet to things the AI has to consider when you want to buy units form them...

III. Should trading units reveal techs?

Realistically, sometimes it can sometimes it can't, but my opinion is that it would make gameplay more fun if it didn't have a chance to reveal the underlying technology.

IV. What units should be available to trade? (any unit in your border, only units stationed in cities, or only units stationed in your capitol (like how workers are traded now)).

I am for any unit in a city!

Oh one thing I just thought of that would add a speed bump- the AI would also have to consider it's current situation when trading units... If it is in war- t should obviously be alot harder to purchase units from them, and also, if it's only got one rifleman stationed in it's capitol- he probably wouldnt be too smart to sell it!!

Your thoughts?

Comment

III. Should trading units reveal techs?

Realistically, sometimes it can sometimes it can't, but my opinion is that it would make gameplay more fun if it didn't have a chance to reveal the underlying technology.
                  I agree. The Russians sell tanks everywhere, yet the countries that buy these tanks don't necessarily suddenly have the ability to start building them themselves.

IV. What units should be available to trade? (any unit in your border, only units stationed in cities, or only units stationed in your capitol (like how workers are traded now)).

I am for any unit in a city!
                  Agree again.

Oh one thing I just thought of that would add a speed bump- the AI would also have to consider it's current situation when trading units... If it is in war- t should obviously be alot harder to purchase units from them, and also, if it's only got one rifleman stationed in it's capitol- he probably wouldnt be too smart to sell it!!

Your thoughts?
                  I think you've put almost everything perfectly. :-) Go check out the thread I started on combat in general, we seem to be on something of a wavelength, but I missed this whole point of trading units. *sigh*
                  Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent
                  revolution inevitable.
                  -- John F. Kennedy

Comment

Originally posted by TheDarkside
                    I.
                    II.
                    III.
                    IV.

Your thoughts?
                    You just typed my thoughts. I agree on all accounts.
                    To be one with the Universe is to be very lonely - John Doe - Datalinks

Comment

bump

Comment

Working...
                      X