How many of you would admit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How many of you would admit

That you're frustrated with the game because you haven't bothered to read the manual and don't understand it yet.
    Any views I may express here are personal and certainly do not in any way reflect the views of my employer. Tis the rising of the moon..

Look, I just don't anymore, okay?

I read the manual. Save the last few pages of charts, it's worthless. Honestly. 200 pages of: 'This is how you move the map' 'Monarchy is a different kind of government from Despotism', etc.
    I've been on these boards for a long time and I still don't know what to think when it comes to you -- FrantzX, December 21, 2001

"Yin": Your friendly, neighborhood negative cosmic force.

Comment

He's right

Before anyone jumps on him, Yin is not just being pessimistic here; the manual is really not much help. It might be useful for those playing Civ for the very first time but for anyone else it's not much good. I'd try the tutorial to get used to the new game features. You don't need to read about them.
      Formerly known as Masuro.
      The sun never sets on a PBEM game.

Comment

I've read the manual and i'm still upset! The manual isn't much help but it does explain a lot of the new features....

Comment

Screw manuals, alls I need is nice spreadsheet with stats, and a reference card for the hotkeys. Of course I don't have either
          Accidently left my signature in this post.

Comment

For as big as the manual is, there seems to be a lot of vital information that wasn't mentioned.

It is still a good starting place for first time CIVers, though.

Comment

Originally posted by Moral Hazard
              Screw manuals, alls I need is nice spreadsheet with stats, and a reference card for the hotkeys. Of course I don't have either
              exactly...
              I hate Civ3!

Comment

Anatolia: Thanks for the backup! LOL
                I've been on these boards for a long time and I still don't know what to think when it comes to you -- FrantzX, December 21, 2001

"Yin": Your friendly, neighborhood negative cosmic force.

Comment

Anything for a fellow Caucasian-Korean! . . . . ?
                  Formerly known as Masuro.
                  The sun never sets on a PBEM game.

Comment

These manuals are always purposely non-informative because they want you to buy the strategy guide. Always on a quest for more dollars.

Just like they don't put in Multi-play so you'll shell out another $40 in 6 months for Civ III "GOLD".
                    Leonid

Comment

speaking of which....

does anyone care to make a .doc of all the hotkeys (including those not found in the manual) and what tehy do?

Comment

Originally posted by tleilaxu
                        speaking of which....

does anyone care to make a .doc of all the hotkeys (including those not found in the manual) and what tehy do?
                        I would if I knew the undocumented ones...are there lots? The list in the back of the manual seems pretty good. (Even if the one in the civilopedia is very incomplete.)
                        "In the beginning was the Word. Then came the ******* word processor." -Dan Simmons, Hyperion

Comment

Originally posted by Moral Hazard
                          Yes, for most of us here, we knew of most of the changes, and their impacts, long before Civ 3 was released.

As to the info we all want, someone on Apolyton will compile it soon... and if they dont, i will when i eventually get the game.
                          It gets released on the 19th in Australia, only 2 weeks waiting left
                          I'm building a wagon! On some other part of the internets, obviously (but not that other site).

Comment

Re: How many of you would admit

Originally posted by Alexander's Horse
                            That you're frustrated with the game because you haven't bothered to read the manual and don't understand it yet.
                            I WISH all of the scenario/editting problems were a result of not reading the manual but unfortunately they aint.
                            Just like the "lack of MP" problems aren't anything to do with the manual either.

Comment

Just for the record, the strategy guide isn't much use either. It's just a rehash of the manual, and what IS useful should have been in the manual in the first place. Can't say I'm surprised, but it was in the store, and I got it for the h**l of it.

I'd have loved a thorough reference card. There doesn't seem to be ANY one place where EVERY hotkey, command, and stat is documented. The Civilopedia has always been a great concept. But as others have pointed out, it's not a complete reference, and there's just no substitute for a hardcopy you can hold in your hand.

Comment

Working...
                              X