Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Yin has Civ3!: Let the testing begin ...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• One last thing: Although I hung in until the end (mainly through better use of diplomacy and occasionally giving in to unreasonable demands "Our territorial map will be sold to you for 220 gold ... or you die!"), I got CRUSHED in the score.

Now you can see from the mini-map how I was crammed on the smallest landmass with India, while England had a ton of land to work with. I suppose a really good world map or 'balanced' map will come out to play on so you can avoid this kind of thing, but I quite enjoy the ups and downs and challenges of the random map. I could still have won on this map, I think, by taking out India fast, landing some troops nearby, keeping close and correct allies, striking at the right time, etc. In other words: By playing awfully damn well! But I didn't. And paid the price. LOL

Again, that English amphibious assault was truly awesome!

Yes, things bogged down in the end game to some degree, and I can imagine that being even MORE the case if you are the clear leader, which I why I kind of enjoyed being the smallfry.

I didn't reload in this game except for once to test how many troops you need to go on the offensive. Answer: More than you think.
    I've been on these boards for a long time and I still don't know what to think when it comes to you -- FrantzX, December 21, 2001

"Yin": Your friendly, neighborhood negative cosmic force.

Comment

• Yup,
      sure was interesting and informative to read about your play...
      Locking forward to your next game and to see if it takes one or more games before you learn the gametriks to win.

Just wondering what lousy excuse you could still give to your game reseller when taking Civ3 back? (I assume that you're keeping Civ3 already, right?)

About not being able to use enemy roads&railroads - was it good or bad in your opinion?

Comment

• Yin:
        How did you like Civ3 compared to EU?

Now I've understood that you can form mutal defence pacts (or whatever), so that if you or your pactbrother is attacked, there is a coalition for defending. But after a war has broken this way, you have to make peace individually.

I sorta whish they had copied the EU model of the pactleaderspeace ending the war totally. Or do you think it works better this way?

P.S. It's gonna be interesting to see how EU and EU2 compares to Civ3 - which is the strategygame of the year?

Comment

• Yin - Thank you so much for the game description, observations, and screenshots. I didn't follow the development threads very much, so this has really helped me make up my mind.

While the Civ2 SP was interesting as a learning experience for MP, it felt more like a class than a real game. Civ3 appears to be a worthwhile game in SP mode on its own.

I will definately be going out to buy it very soon. Fortunately, the cost of also buying the MP game later is not an issue for me.
          Civ2 Demo Game #1 City-Planner, President, Historian
          Civ2 Demo Game #2 Minister of War,President, Minister of Trade, Vice President, City-Planner
          Civ2 Demo Game #3 President, Minister of War, President
          Civ2 Demo Game #4 Despot, City-Planner, Consul

Comment

• Originally posted by yin26
            O.K. Game Over. I will now post the final screens you see at the end of the game. Skip these parts if you don't want to see them...but they are pretty good.

This is how my continent looked at the end of the game (ended in 2006 because of space launch). You'll notice that the English did NOT expand on my continent as they probably should have. This might possibly be a weakness, as I was able to really eat up territory. You'll notice that since the English were so far from their capital, that the cultural influence of their cities on my continent was like ZERO! This mean I could and was on my way to taking them over with culture. Notice my city planted right NEXT to Bombay. A bit better planning and I could have taken it over that way. Cool!

Sorry for replying old posts of yours... just not one to read the end before the beginning....

How could it be a weakness? Like you said, could of taken his cities with Culture. Maybe the AI knows that and I am sure that Amphibious Assault was expensive :P So the AI's goal was mainly to smack you to simply show you who is the boss. As for the Indians, i don't know what they done or said to the English...maybe the english simply don't like people declaring independence from their empire The English proved that they can take you out if they wish...but they did saw you a bit harder target then the Indians, and less expensive to attack. And the English knows that they can't expect to keep the captured cities... they already have enough of their own and don't need to waste resources on your continent.

Atleast your continent didn't have a very important resource which the english doesn't have :P

-LMP

PS: sorry if my writing sucks

Comment

• Double Post

Comment

• Awesome replay. Thanks Yin.

The cool thing is that the game lets the player use the same tactic that got you involved in that war with England. If you're quick on the diplomacy ball, you can also get the mutual protection promises of all the top civs and then launch your own attack, bringing them in.

I just wrote a nasty article *****ing about the uselessness of the advisors last night and this morning, just found out through more play that about 99% of what I asked for was actually in there, it just didn't become apparent until about 1800AD or so. I feel terribly guilty for wrongly Civ3 bashing. The game is throwing out subtle surprises left and right.

Comment

• Jeje: To be honest, since India and I were so close together, I hardly noticed not being able to get the road bonuses. I'm sure, though, that will be something I'll notice more in my next game. Compared to EU (good question), I'd say that Civ3 is a lot less subtle. In a kind of charming way, though, that makes it fun. However, I rather enjoy the seriousness and the subtlety of EU. Hard to explain. EU feels rather abstract but 'real' in a way while Civ3 feels more human but deliberately light-hearted. Yes, many of the EU things would be so awesome in Civ3. As for buying the game: I still am gonna feel a bit of a chump buying the game when there's no word from Firaxis on the editor and MP. But I now look at it this way: The game, as is, will give me a solid 15-20 hours more of gameplay. With some patches (let's hope) and mods from the community, there could yet be more to this game than Civ2.

cavebear: Glad you enjoyed it. Not a perfect game, but surprisingly good in some areas. If Firaxis really works on some patching, the game could be truly awesome.

LordLMP: Good point. I think you are right, because the AI kind of just depleted and abandoned those cities anyway.

Peterk: Yeah, I also had to retract a statement about the diplomacy AI.
                  I've been on these boards for a long time and I still don't know what to think when it comes to you -- FrantzX, December 21, 2001

"Yin": Your friendly, neighborhood negative cosmic force.

Comment

• Originally posted by yin26
                    cavebear: Glad you enjoyed it. Not a perfect game, but surprisingly good in some areas. If Firaxis really works on some patching, the game could be truly awesome.
                    To here this from the "king pessimist" own mouth, certainly feels reassuring to say the least. I dont think anybody can accuse you for reviewing this game from a default rosy Firaxis-defending perspective, no matter what.

Great! Now its only 2 looong weeks left (16 november) before I finally can play this damn game...

Comment

• Yin: Very nice story. That sea invasion really excited me, and I was just reading...

Comment

• Great stuff yin!!! I look forward to your full review...

I get the impression that you like Civ III and think in a patch or
                        2 it could be a very good game for a long time to come????

Comment

• The English are called 'Perfidious Albion' for a reason, Yin!

Seriously: In my own game I sense similar threats to my realm already building up. The World Wonder screen is showing Liz Tudor and good old Otto already medieval, while I have not researched Currency and Code of Law yet. If England or Germany are going to invade my continent, then I am history!

What just about everybody playing first time is going to underestimate is how much he must plan ahead in CivIII. Spontaneous decisions is not the name of this game; long-range planning was important in CivII, now it is double as important. Your empire has a lot of inertia, it is quite impossible to change direction fast.
                          Now, if I ask myself: Who profits from a War against Iraq?, the answer is: Israel. -Prof. Rudolf Burger, Austrian Academy of Arts

Free Slobo, lock up George, learn from Kim-Jong-Il.

Comment

• Here is a screenshot from my game:

It is 640AD. The good thing is my capital has influence 4 already. It is the world´s leading culture city. The bad thing is I am still in the Ancient Era, not having Currency and Law yet. In other words, my people are moneyless and lawless, but very sophisticated. We will see how things turn out.
                            Attached Files
                            Now, if I ask myself: Who profits from a War against Iraq?, the answer is: Israel. -Prof. Rudolf Burger, Austrian Academy of Arts

Free Slobo, lock up George, learn from Kim-Jong-Il.

Comment

• I am glad you liked the game Yin.

They have indeed improved the core gameplay a quite a lot. If they had only taken a couple of more months and polished it they could really have made it a masterpiece. As it is I haven't made up my mind whether I am keeping it.

Comment

• Some observations:
                                1) the one more turn syndrome has (and will continue to) wreck my life.
                                2) some things are choppy, but none are completely intollerable.
                                3) it took me several 20 turn games to find the type of map I want to play (which is good, I like choices)
                                4) warlord (regent) level is actually CHALLENGING IN A FUN WAY.
                                5) no leaders, golden ages yet (for me)

regent=civ2's king, yes?

the next four difficulty levels will be quite a tough booby.

Yin, sounds like you enjoy the game...
                                "You don't have to be modest if you know you're right."- L. Rigdon

Comment

Working...
                                X