Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is it possible to trade maps and techs overseas without harbors?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is it possible to trade maps and techs overseas without harbors?

According to the FAQ of the official Civ3 site, you can not trade resources overseas without harbors. But what about maps and techs? Is it possible to give away your world map in exchange for a tech in principle (even if the AI may not consider it a good deal)? I don´t have the game or the manual, so please tell me!

(Note: I have been tinkering with ideas for additional civ-specific abilities - namely 'agricultural' and 'seafaring' -, and if map and tech trading is possible without harbours, a 'seafaring' civ - with some sort of canoe/catamaran as an early CSA-specific unit - could explore the map really fast and get a lead in science only by means of trade.)
    "As far as general advice on mod-making: Go slow as far as adding new things to the game until you have the basic game all smoothed out ... Make sure the things you change are really imbalances and not just something that doesn't fit with your particular style of play." - WesW

You needed an embassy in Civ2. Should be the same...? Not related to trade.

But hey, I'm European, so no game!
    To be one with the Universe is to be very lonely - John Doe - Datalinks

Comment

You need harbors to trade across water. That or airports. Plus- your capitols have to be connected.

Comment

In my own limited experience so far I have exchanged maps (but not techs... didn't have any to trade) with overseas civs w/o a harbor. I guess the key is that trade required the infrastructure (roads, harbors, sea lanes, etc.) while diplomatic exhanges don't. I didn't even have an embassy!

Comment

I just found this screenshot from an actual game (http://www.civfanatics.com/civ3image...er/Image14.jpg) at civfanatics.com. Looks like you can trade everything except ressources without a road connection (and therefore I´d guess also without harbors).

Can someone who has the game confirm this? Or perhaps even run a small test?
          "As far as general advice on mod-making: Go slow as far as adding new things to the game until you have the basic game all smoothed out ... Make sure the things you change are really imbalances and not just something that doesn't fit with your particular style of play." - WesW

Comment

Re: Is it possible to trade maps and techs overseas without harbors?

Originally posted by lockstep
            According to the FAQ of the official Civ3 site, you can not trade resources overseas without harbors. But what about maps and techs? Is it possible to give away your world map in exchange for a tech in principle (even if the AI may not consider it a good deal)? I don´t have the game or the manual, so please tell me!

(Note: I have been tinkering with ideas for additional civ-specific abilities - namely 'agricultural' and 'seafaring' -, and if map and tech trading is possible without harbours, a 'seafaring' civ - with some sort of canoe/catamaran as an early CSA-specific unit - could explore the map really fast and get a lead in science only by means of trade.)
            harbor/road, etc. is only required for resource trading. you only need to have a contact + mapmaking in order to be able to trade maps or techs (latter one not requiring map making of course)

Comment

i have traded a terrain map for a tech and a world map

i've been able to trade for everything but resources (i don't have road connections or harbors). i could even have traded for a zulu city but i didn't want to pay 12 gold/turn and give up a tech for it.
              Pool Manager - Lombardi Handicappers League - An NFL Pick 'Em Pool

https://youtu.be/HLNhPMQnWu4

Comment

Many thanks for the confirmation, ColdWizard.

Comment

Working...
                X