You left the coop early and got your head chopped off

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Alexander's Horse

I haven't seen anyone with a decent reputation as a player post a review yet. I consider the opinion of kindergarten players to be worthless.

I'm waiting till Ming and Rah have put this game through the wringer. I'm really surprised by the initial lack of scenario support.

Previously my attitude towards Civ3 was cordial/neutral

now it's close to neutral/icy...
    Skeptics should forego any thought of convincing the unconvinced that we hold the torch of truth illuminating the darkness. A more modest, realistic, and achievable goal is to encourage the idea that one may be mistaken. Doubt is humbling and constructive; it leads to rational thought in weighing alternatives and fully reexamining options, and it opens unlimited vistas.

Elie A. Shneour Skeptical Inquirer

Comment

I'm happy with it...that is it.

It plays fine for me, quite stable.

I really don't care about mp (to be honest this might be because I'm lousy at multi-player games for some reason).

If it was released early it might be the publisher (all to often it is, but I have no evidence to support this so take it with a pinch of salt).

Again, I remind people that patience is a lost virtue in our age...all will come in time, simply wait calmly.
      I refuse to live in fear.
      If I am to die, so be it.
      At least I will have died free.

Comment

Originally posted by Alexander's Horse
        The absence of multiplayer alone condemns them on the unfinished game point. This is a STANDARD FEATURE of TBS games.
        I've seen a picture of the main menu which includes an option to 'load scenario'. But what do you know - there's no scenarios, and no way of making them
        'Arguing with anonymous strangers on the internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be - or to be indistinguishable from - self-righteous sixteen year olds possessing infinite amounts of free time.'
        - Neal Stephenson, Cryptonomicon

Comment

I wish my words were backed with nuclear weapons
          Any views I may express here are personal and certainly do not in any way reflect the views of my employer. Tis the rising of the moon..

Look, I just don't anymore, okay?

Comment

Re: I'm happy with it...that is it.

Originally posted by Delthayre
            Again, I remind people that patience is a lost virtue in our age...all will come in time, simply wait calmly.
            ...and pay an extra $50 for what should have been in the inital release...
            'Arguing with anonymous strangers on the internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be - or to be indistinguishable from - self-righteous sixteen year olds possessing infinite amounts of free time.'
            - Neal Stephenson, Cryptonomicon

Comment

And I demand tribute so that it may appease my attitude.
              Skeptics should forego any thought of convincing the unconvinced that we hold the torch of truth illuminating the darkness. A more modest, realistic, and achievable goal is to encourage the idea that one may be mistaken. Doubt is humbling and constructive; it leads to rational thought in weighing alternatives and fully reexamining options, and it opens unlimited vistas.

Elie A. Shneour Skeptical Inquirer

Comment

About patience and MP

I still think too many people are impatient.

However, if they do not release Multiplayer in a free patch (even if it is available in an expansion) I will complain.
                I refuse to live in fear.
                If I am to die, so be it.
                At least I will have died free.

Comment

All will come in time? Prove it.

Comment

Originally posted by Case

I've seen a picture of the main menu which includes an option to 'load scenario'. But what do you know - there's no scenarios, and no way of making them
                    WRONG
                    there is plenty of good scenario support, and if you give up trying to have a starting location be your only method of getting civs to start where you want, and just accept it and build a city for each civ in the spot you want them to start, theres really nothing missing, except a good earth map, which plenty of peopel here will be making anyway. Yes, the editor is a bit lacking, but it will be complet++++fine, i assure you. just fyi, though, the capability to make scenarios is ALIVE AND WELL!
                    And God said "let there be light." And there was dark. And God said "Damn, I hate it when that happens." - Admiral

Comment

Originally posted by dainbramaged13
                      WRONG
                      there is plenty of good scenario support, and if you give up trying to have a starting location be your only method of getting civs to start where you want, and just accept it and build a city for each civ in the spot you want them to start, theres really nothing missing, except a good earth map, which plenty of peopel here will be making anyway. Yes, the editor is a bit lacking, but it will be complet++++fine, i assure you. just fyi, though, the capability to make scenarios is ALIVE AND WELL!
                      Umm...ace, 'fraid not. What there is plenty of is pretty menu tabs...

Scenarios would require an ability to place silly, inconsequential things like units and cities on a map. And that's just to get started. We can't even get started in the current environment. And if you want a scenario to be any good, it will usually require some kind of scripting language. While there is a possibility that the editors will be patched to allow basic scenario construction sometime soon, I haven't seen any talk of an event/scripting language at all (other than the denials that there was any plan to put such in the initial release).

Perhaps there's a terminology problem, here...if you mean simple modpacks, just customizing the rules and perhaps the maps, then yes, that very limited functionality is "alive and well", i assure you (well, assuming you don't want to do anything silly like play on a flat world, like a historical European or mid-eastern map...and assuming you don't mind your civilizations starting locations to be randomized).

Comment

Originally posted by dainbramaged13

WRONG
                        No dainbramaged, you are wrong. If you can't place units with the editor, if you can't trigger an event when a certain city falls, then you can't make a scenario. There is a very limited capacity to make mods with Civ3. That's all. You can make a Canadian or Polish civilization, or make your F-15 even better, but you can't [C-A-N'-T] recreate an actual historical situation. Can't. No. Really.
                        Tecumseh's Village, Home of Fine Civilization Scenarios

www.tecumseh.150m.com

Comment

Originally posted by techumseh
                          Well I have. It's incomplete and unstable.
                          What you running? Just got off a 3-hour session without instability, running Win XP. Just curious...

Regards / Döbeln 2001

Comment

Stuie wrote:
                            "Why not try playing the game instead of coming around and being such a Yin."

ROTFLOL!!!

Best one in ages!

Peace!
                            -- Roland

Comment

Down with Firaxis! Booooooo!
                              Attached Files

Comment

No crashes here. Very positive experience so far.

Seriously, nothing personal to DV, but you aren't qualified to say anything very strongly just based on what goobers on Apolyton say. If you don't want to buy it play someone elses or something, but that's how you'll know this early in the release. A lot of the complainers don't know what they are talking about. IMO the problems are MP not being in and the editor not being complex enough. If they patch those instead of selling them I'm happy.

Chill, people. Trashing it before you play it, lol

Comment

Working...
                                X