You left the coop early and got your head chopped off

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• You left the coop early and got your head chopped off

The reviewers, again, have shown that they aren't fit to poor pee out of a boot with the instructions written on the bottom.

Where's there's smoke there is fire, and I've smelled the same variety of smoke before with Call to Power.

I can already sense that Civ3 is a real stinker simply because the developers "just had" to make that deadline. Ship now, patch later. I've heard this before and I'm certainly fed up with the notion.

They even had a pre-existing engine to go from and they still couldn't deliver multiplayer OR decent scenario support! What the hell!

I saw this coming with CtP but was dumb enough to buy the game anyway! Activision corrected their errors in CtP2, but Firaxis simply repeated them all over again!

Why in the hell should I buy Civ3, when I'd be far better off waiting for Civ3: The Expansion that's going to come a year from now when the game is actually finished?!?!

Excuse me, but I'm pretty pissed off about this!

Alot of people, though, are having a great deal of fun playing the regular game right now.

Comment

Re: You left the coop early and got your head chopped off

Originally posted by DarthVeda
      I can already sense that Civ3 is a real stinker simply because the developers "just had" to make that deadline. Ship now, patch later. I've heard this before and I'm certainly fed up with the notion.

They even had a pre-existing engine to go from and they still couldn't deliver multiplayer OR decent scenario support! What the hell!
      Glad to see your psychic powers are so well atuned. Why not try playing the game instead of coming around and being such a Yin. Or look at the reviews/impressions of the people from this forum who have been around for awhile.

As for your "pre-existing" engine comment, you're wrong. They have stated that they built the game from the ground up. Pre-exsiting concepts: YES. Pre-existing engine: NO.

I have found no glaring flaws in the game thus far, but I guess some people are only happy being negative. Oh, well; enjoy!
      "Stuie has the right idea" - Japher
      "I trust Stuie and all involved." - SlowwHand
      "Stuie is right...." - Guynemer

Comment

Your Flatulence,

As a someone who has actually played the game, I can unequivocally state it is the best gaming purchase I've made in the last 2 years, easily. It is addictive and fun. There are some faults, but they pale next to the terrific aspects. My biggest beefs are minor compared to the fun I'm having.

For those who are jumping to conclusions--everyone who has played the game is giving it good reviews. Everyone. They have quibbles with this or that, but overall the reviews are vastly positive. Stop being whining pessimists when you're not even qualified to speak on it, since YOU HAVEN'T PLAYED IT YET.

Tutto nel mondo è burla

Comment

I gotta say that based on early reports, the game seems to be worth the purchase from a purely SP perspective. A lot of promising AI military/growth and action on the lower levels of difficulty, which was my main gauge to see how the game was working - and the fact that this action is not occuring due to verifiable cheats is good news. Granted, the difficulty on levels above Regent will be based on the AI cheats, but that was to be expected.

Most of the grumblings have been for minor issues, which more often than not, are preferencial in nature. No game will meet every expectation.

Now I have to wait until Christmas or my birthday to get the game...but I'm patient. This will also allow me to see how the game pans out once players have played several times and have had a chance to truly see game imbalances and exploitable flaws. These issues need repetitive playing to be revealed anyhow.

Too bad about the lack of Multiplay, Scenario Support, or provided Scenarios, though there are now rumbling that the Editor will be patched and not sold as an Expansion Pack, so there is still hope in this area. My main concern in this area relates to the ability to easily add new units/techs/wonders/place cities without jumping through a lot of hoops to do so. I have yet to see evidence that this is the case, though this will probably not affect whether I get the game.
          Yes, let's be optimistic until we have reason to be otherwise...No, let's be pessimistic until we are forced to do otherwise...Maybe, let's be balanced until we are convinced to do otherwise. -- DrSpike, Skanky Burns, Shogun Gunner
          ...aisdhieort...dticcok...

Comment

Well I have. It's incomplete and unstable.
            Tecumseh's Village, Home of Fine Civilization Scenarios

www.tecumseh.150m.com

Comment

Maybe Infrogames could learn from a quality company like Blizzard or 3drealms and ship games when they are done. Some games actually have the quality and the name to sell themselves without the allure of the Christmas season.

Comment

I agree with Techumseh and DarthVeda:

While the core game itself may be great; there are still a lot of features that were left out, and there are still many obvious bugs.

An early release of the game means paying full price for only a "partial" game.

Six months from now the "Gold" edition will probably include everything that should have been in this release, including the patches, MP, etc. . .

I expected this sort of thing from other games, but not with Civ 3. . .
                Last edited by Leonidas; October 31, 2001, 14:57.

Comment

Originally posted by Boris Godunov
                  For those who are jumping to conclusions--everyone who has played the game is giving it good reviews. Everyone.
                  Uhhhh.... No. Certainly not true. Most unstable game I have bought for my pc in the last 2 years, actually.

-FMK.

Comment

Originally posted by DarthVeda
                    without the allure of the Christmas season.
                    Christmas early this year? It's still halloween, guy.
                    Rethink Refuse Reduce Reuse

Do It Ourselves

Comment

I mean in time for the chrismas season. And yes, here in the states it starts this early. You can find Christmas displays up in stores by early october.

If you live in the U.S. and are not a troglodyte, then you will have already noticed this fact.

Comment

How soon we forget Test of Time...

"Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me."

Now, I realize that Infogrames/Firaxis had nothing to do with ToT, but it seems they liked the idea - from a truly business/economic/capitalist point of view.

I am enjoying the posts guys and gals, but I will save my $50 until next year when they likely release a boxed set that includes the original and the expansion(s) - like they did for Alpha Centauri and Alien Crossfire. That way I get the whole game, including multiplayer, editors, et cetera, for a fair price.

Just my humble opinion folks. May the ensuing slander begin!

(Obviously, I agree with Darth Veda.)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Clark
                          Alot of people, though, are having a great deal of fun playing the regular game right now.
                          I haven't seen anyone with a decent reputation as a player post a review yet. I consider the opinion of kindergarten players to be worthless.

We've seen all this "its great" hype before with CTP I and II. A bunhc of newbie idiots come in and say how good the game is and then we find out otherwise.

I wish these fools would stop posting reviews.
                          Any views I may express here are personal and certainly do not in any way reflect the views of my employer. Tis the rising of the moon..

Look, I just don't anymore, okay?

Comment

I agree with DV - I don't see why I should reward Firaxis for releasing an unfinished product.
                            'Arguing with anonymous strangers on the internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be - or to be indistinguishable from - self-righteous sixteen year olds possessing infinite amounts of free time.'
                            - Neal Stephenson, Cryptonomicon

Comment

The absence of multiplayer alone condemns them on the unfinished game point. This is a STANDARD FEATURE of TBS games.
                              Any views I may express here are personal and certainly do not in any way reflect the views of my employer. Tis the rising of the moon..

Look, I just don't anymore, okay?

Comment

Working...
                              X