If you haven't bought Civ3 yet...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MarkG
    exactly. i didnt say that civ3 has all the things they promised(MP) or all the things that someone would logically expect(scenarios)

my point was that since the development of the game had serious problems(departure of key members), and the publisher with the developer decided to go with the initial release date, it is logical(commonplace as LDiCesare agreed) to do so by cuting some features.
    They were pretty shifty about announcing the reduced features. to promise something, then realize you can't deliver it (remember Mister Pleasant's post) and not tell people about the change...is dishonest. It's a lie. (to leave standing such statements for so long).

Comment

Originally posted by Joe R. Golowka
      They said they were going to support the mod community with a good editor and stuff. They lied to us.
      In fact I remember them saying the editor would be great, not just good.

Promises, Schmomises!
      Now, if I ask myself: Who profits from a War against Iraq?, the answer is: Israel. -Prof. Rudolf Burger, Austrian Academy of Arts

Free Slobo, lock up George, learn from Kim-Jong-Il.

Comment

Where are they now? The Test of Time team, despite all its faults, were active on the boards every day for a couple of months after its release. A chat once in a while is NOT the same thing.
        Tecumseh's Village, Home of Fine Civilization Scenarios

www.tecumseh.150m.com

Comment

Originally posted by GP
          They were pretty shifty about announcing the reduced features. to promise something, then realize you can't deliver it (remember Mister Pleasant's post) and not tell people about the change...is dishonest. It's a lie. (to leave standing such statements for so long).
          But the DID tell people that MP wasnt in at least 2-3 weeks before the release. and before that, the discussion about the possibility had be going on for over month. so after all this, geting the game (on the first day!) and whining about the lack of MP seems a but unfair, dont you think?
          Co-Founder, Apolyton Civilization Site
          Co-Owner/Webmaster, Top40-Charts.com | CTO, Apogee Information Systems
          giannopoulos.info: my non-mobile non-photo news & articles blog

Comment

Of course there is something in what you say, Marcos, and I fully realize that, to a certain degree, this is a half full/half empty discussion.

However, some people, in the face of the evidence, seem inclined to deny that the glass is , in fact, half empty.

I do not doubt the word of the people who say they like the gameplay, graphics are nice, and the AI is better than in CivII, possibly even very good.

I am glad to hear that.

On the other hand it is also established that:

-You cannot make scenarios with the Scenario Editor.
            -There are no 12 scenarios included, nor 6, nor 3, nor one.
            -No multiplayer.
            -Lots of small nuisances that add up.
            -My own pet topic: Espionage options reduced to the minimum.

All of the above -except the nuisances - has either been promised, or was implied as a given.

So don´t you think we have a reason to see the glass as only half-full, to phrase it favourably?
            Now, if I ask myself: Who profits from a War against Iraq?, the answer is: Israel. -Prof. Rudolf Burger, Austrian Academy of Arts

Comment

Pal, as far as I am concerned you can fill the glass up and dump it on your head or shove it up your .......

Comment

Markos: You are really stretching this, and it wears thin:
                But the DID tell people that MP wasnt in at least 2-3 weeks before the release.
                Care to count the number of pre-orders WELL BEFORE THAT?

"But they can cancel pre-orders."

Blah blah blah.

Shoddy job. Period.
                I've been on these boards for a long time and I still don't know what to think when it comes to you -- FrantzX, December 21, 2001

"Yin": Your friendly, neighborhood negative cosmic force.

Comment

Originally posted by jimmytrick
                  Pal, as far as I am concerned you can fill the glass up and dump it on your head or shove it up your .......
                  Help, the (slightly retarded) Huns are attacking my city! *Must* *Get* *Swordsmen*!!!

Comment

Originally posted by MarkG
                    But the DID tell people that MP wasnt in at least 2-3 weeks before the release. and before that, the discussion about the possibility had be going on for over month. so after all this, geting the game (on the first day!) and whining about the lack of MP seems a but unfair, dont you think?
                    Granted that the MP capability was fairly widely publicized as being absent (and had been, er, "commented" on by a few) but the deficiencies in scenario/events/editting/map utilities have come as a bit of a shock for most I think...

Comment

Indeed. But why aren't Firaxis staff here to explain their decisions and defend their product? As I recall, this was the case with both CTP and ToT. It's not really fair to make Markos do it.

www.tecumseh.150m.com

Comment

techumseh, they were here, just elsewhere
                        Co-Founder, Apolyton Civilization Site
                        Co-Owner/Webmaster, Top40-Charts.com | CTO, Apogee Information Systems
                        giannopoulos.info: my non-mobile non-photo news & articles blog

Comment

Like I said, it's not really the same.

www.tecumseh.150m.com

Comment

I've attached this screenshot to illustrate just how much care and attention Firaxis has put into parts of Civ3. It's a half size shot of the Western European portion of one of the world maps included with the game. I added the lettering myself so you would know what's what.
                            Attached Files

www.tecumseh.150m.com

Comment

My eyes, my eyes!

WHAT DO YOU EXPECT IF YOU GET AN AMERICAN TO DO THE WORLD MAP...only joking because much of America is a mess too!

Comment

Where's Ireland?

Comment

Working...
                                X