If you haven't bought Civ3 yet...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by techumseh
    The suggestion that multi-player functionality or scenario events language has been left out because the game was "rushed' (they've been working on it for over a year) is very naive.
    perhpaps you forget that several key members of the team(including the designer, the producer and the head programmer ) left, forcing development to almost restart from the begining(example: the man who mainly wrote the AI, Soren Johnson, was only hired on May 2000)

over that chat last night, it was made crystal clear by the firaxians that work on the editing tools are nothing but over. so i wouldnt start firing the flame thrower just yet

and yes, of course they have done work on multiplayer already. nobody said they havent.

Adm.Naismith, lets wait a bit to see the full potential of people can do with the map/scenario/mod files first. someone already has added units even though the editor doesnt allow it(yet)
    Co-Founder, Apolyton Civilization Site
    Co-Owner/Webmaster, Top40-Charts.com | CTO, Apogee Information Systems
    giannopoulos.info: my non-mobile non-photo news & articles blog

Comment

Originally posted by MarkG
      over that chat last night, it was made crystal clear by the firaxians that work on the editing tools are nothing but over.
      God bless them!
      Blah

Comment

Originally posted by BeBro

God bless them!
        That must have been before I showed up

But Mike said many positive things about the game. It's good when the developers sound less like propaganda experts, more like obsessed fans

Makes me feel like the anti-Yin
        A witty quote proves nothing. - Voltaire

Comment

Originally posted by techumseh

"Brilliant, absolutely f*****g brilliant! I just payed $50 for this game. I'm entitled to my opinion about the game, entitled to share it with people and entitled to not be satisfied. Do you think only favourable comments should be posted here?

It always amazes me how some people always pipe up with comments like this. Doesn't it occur to you that these game companies are not producing products as a personal favour? They do it to make money. And they may produce a very good product in the process. Or not. But if they give you the full package in one CD, they will certainly make less money.

Use your explorer to check out the installed Civ3 files. Open the text file called "Jackal." In it you will find commands related to multi-player games. Perhaps they've already designed the game for multi-player, but have not included multi-player functionality in this release so they can sell you another CD for 50 bucks in 6 months or a year. I'm sure you'll be suitably thankful.

Am I paranoid? Perhaps, but that's exactly what happened with Civ2. The suggestion that multi-player functionality or scenario events language has been left out because the game was "rushed' (they've been working on it for over a year) is very naive. All the hype about the fancy scenario editors means little, since you can't make a decent scenario without events. So you'll have to buy the next upgrade before those editors will be much use.

Civ3...................49.99
          Civ3 Scenarios.....49.99
          Civ3 Multi-player..49.99
          Civ3 Gold Edition..49.99

Get the picture?

Let us give thanks!
          Umm, ok, a few facts for you...

1. The rumor was that there was a scripting language in Civ3. That rumor was officially "squashed" by Dan M over a month ago here.

Where were you?

2. It has been OFFICIALLY stated the game wouldn't have MP for over 2 weeks at the Civ3 website and also here.

Where were you?

3. I believe it was also mentioned that there were no scenarios included with the game in several thread at least two weeks ago here. While not "official" until people actually got the game if you were here, and paying attention you'd know that as well.

Where were you?

Essentially you're *****ing and complaining about facts that have been common knowledge in the Apoly Civ3 forums for at least TWO WEEKS before the game came out, if not longer. If you were a Settler then you could feign ignorance but since you're a "prince" level of poster you have no excuses for not knowing this.

Maybe if you paid more attention before you bought the game you'd still have your $50 and wouldn't re-post old crap that most of the folks around here know already. Well, at least the things people know that have taken the time to research the game and pay attention to anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by Faboba

That must have been before I showed up

But Mike said many positive things about the game. It's good when the developers sound less like propaganda experts, more like obsessed fans

Makes me feel like the anti-Yin
            Actually, they are probably as upset at the lack of a full editor as anyone. I know when I used to write code I was slightly embarrassed when I used to finish a project that met what the customers wanted but wasn't as good as *I* wanted it to be.

I doubt the folks at FIraxis are any different (hopefully). Especially with Jeff Morris' comment about how robust the editor is expected to be and how they know the scenario/mod crowd will give Civ3 long "legs" they will more than likely fix the editor up nicely.

Until that point you have only the SP game with two fixed maps and of course the random map ability (what people used to do in Civ1 anyway!). If you don't like those choices then wait and buy the game, but for god's sake quit *****ing about the lack of this or that, sheesh.

Comment

erhpaps you forget that several key members of the team(including the designer, the producer and the head programmer :hmmm left, forcing development to almost restart from the begining(example: the man who mainly wrote the AI, Soren Johnson, was only hired on May 2000)
              So what? If you think it is an excuse, try to find how many software projects don't suffer from that same exact problem. As a programmer, such a situation seems totally commonplace to me.
              Clash of Civilization team member
              (a civ-like game whose goal is low micromanagement and good AI)
              web site http://clash.apolyton.net/frame/index.shtml and forum here on apolyton)

Comment

Originally posted by Ozymandous
                Until that point you have only the SP game with two fixed maps and of course the random map ability (what people used to do in Civ1 anyway!).
                actually, you also have a decent map editor(although without a minimap), which means soon we'll start seeing more maps, and you also have a decent mod(rules) editor(i'm actually amazed no polish-american havent created a mod with the polish civ yet! where is the polish community?!? )

Comment

Originally posted by LDiCesare
                  So what? If you think it is an excuse, try to find how many software projects don't suffer from that same exact problem. As a programmer, such a situation seems totally commonplace to me.
                  sure but how many of these projects are delivered on the original planned date and and with all the features of the original plan?

Comment

actually, you also have a decent map editor(although without a minimap), which means soon we'll start seeing more maps, and you also have a decent mod(rules) editor(i'm actually amazed no polish-american havent created a mod with the polish civ yet! where is the polish community?!
                    Pherhaps the game hasn't been released in poland yet
                    Formerly known as "CyberShy"
                    Carpe Diem tamen Memento Mori

Comment

Originally posted by Siej
                      Grim Legacy,

Nope. The people that actually complain here on this forum and other places are such a small majority of those that purchase the game. Lower prices? Don't hold your breath.
                      LOL. So you deem yourself the judge of the essence of the forum. Interesting.
                      Maybe you can show me the benefit of monotonous and ill-founded praise then?

No I didn't think so.

Comment

sure but how many of these projects are delivered on the original planned date and and with all the features of the original plan?
                        You're right, this is far from commonplace.
                        Clash of Civilization team member
                        (a civ-like game whose goal is low micromanagement and good AI)
                        web site http://clash.apolyton.net/frame/index.shtml and forum here on apolyton)

Comment

Originally posted by CyberShy
                          Pherhaps the game hasn't been released in poland yet
                          that's why i said "polish-american"

Comment

Brilliant, absolutely f*****g brilliant! I just payed $50 for this game. I'm entitled to my opinion about the game, entitled to share it with people and entitled to not be satisfied. Do you think only favourable comments should be posted here?
                            Well what did you expect Tech? You cast a stone at the golden calf.

You're talking to people (like siej) who would buy a peice of crap that sid meir took if he had the chance.

Look, I think your opinions are valuable and anything that is great, gets great because of constructive criticism. All of your comments were educated and fair. You weren't slandering the game, You didn't come in and say "civ3 blows" and leave without saying why.

And I thank you for your words.

Ozy, because someone doesnt come to poly every day and do tons of research on civ3, finding out each and every last detail, doesnt make them any less a fan than the groupies who hang here every day.

Larusso

i do not remember playing ANY game for more than 6 months. except civilization on board
                            i am a real fanatic.
                            Someone that didnt play civ2 more than 6 months ain't much of a fanatic if you ask me

since when is USD 50 a lot of money, even outside america?
                            You're right. It's nothing. Can anyone who reads this, send me 50 bucks? I could use it.
                            I see the world through bloodshot eyes
                            Streets filled with blood from distant lies.

Comment

Markos is one step ahead of everyone... BURN!!
                              To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Originally posted by drake

Someone that didnt play civ2 more than 6 months ain't much of a fanatic if you ask me
                                He said except Civilization... got glasses?

And if 50 dollars is a ton of money for you, go to school, get a degree, and get a better job.
                                To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Working...
                                X