No announcement yet.

Things i don't like about it.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Considering each square in Civ games represents about 1,000 sq miles, I don't think it is inconceivable that an archer unit can walk past a bunch of phalanx soldiers sitting on their ass.
    Uh, how do you judge a square to be 1000 sq miles?
    It can be just as well 25 sq miles if you play on a large scale map, for example a map of Italy or Japan.
    Or it can be 25.000 sq miles if you play on a fantasy map.
    So judging scale is impossible.
    If you place a thing into the center of your life, that lacks the power to nourish. It will eventually poison everything that you are.
    And destroy you. -Maxi Jazz, Faithless

Comment

I like Civ games - played them all - but many problems have cropped up because of a forced early release by Infogrames:

1) In the release chat, Firaxis Mike said that the choppy scrolling is due to some sloppy coding (I think he said by himself too) and that he's working on cleaning up the slider code for an eventual patch. So it's not the system, it's the game.

There is simply no excuse for this.

2) If you check out the "Creation" forum, you'll find that the editor shipped WITHOUT an events file - therefore - as it stands NO special scenario can be made like "Red Front" for Civ3.

Also, NO specific scenarios can be made for Civ3. Why? Because of the random placement of units and the fact that initial cities cannot be placed at the beginning of the scenario on the map.

There is simply no excuse for this sloppiness - the production of scenarios is what gave Civ2 its longevity. Again - another feature left by the wayside because of release date pressures.

While the basic game may be fun, I am sure most civvers were looking forward to some exciting new scenarios to play, considering NONE shipped with the game.

Frankly, I am shocked by this. . .

Most of these problems could have been solved/found with an open beta test - but again time pressures by the company have left civvers short-changed.

4) I won't go into all the other problems - except to say - maybe in 6 months - when Civ3 Gold comes out - we may eventually get the game that this release SHOULD HAVE BEEN.

This is really a pity. . .

Comment

bah, i'm not saying you people have to agree with me. I'm just disappointed. Yes, the graphics do suck. One of the things that was so great about civ2 was that you could tell instantaneously what a unit was, and what was stacked behind it. Also kind of weird, but i can't figure out how to make a unit attack, and then stay in the same place. It always wants to run over where the other unit was?!?!
        "Mal nommer les choses, c'est accroître le malheur du monde" - Camus (thanks Davout)

"I thought you must be dead ..." he said simply. "So did I for a while," said Ford, "and then I decided I was a lemon for a couple of weeks. A kept myself amused all that time jumping in and out of a gin and tonic."

Comment

also, it isn't windows integrated !?!?! this sucks...
          "Mal nommer les choses, c'est accroître le malheur du monde" - Camus (thanks Davout)

"I thought you must be dead ..." he said simply. "So did I for a while," said Ford, "and then I decided I was a lemon for a couple of weeks. A kept myself amused all that time jumping in and out of a gin and tonic."

Comment

Re: Things I don't like about it so far?

Originally posted by Zylka
            The graphics are really, REALLY bad. This is not civ2 further expanded and defined, this is call to power 3.

bleh...
            Gee, and we all know that graphics are obviously the only thing that matter, eh?

Hmm, this isn't Civ2 further expanded but CtP3? Then I guess we'll see slaver's, televangelests, clerics, under sea cities, etc?

What? No? Oh, then you mean this IS Civ2 expanded then with culture, resources, etc.

Oh well, since graphics are the only things that matter I guess everything else is crap...

Right.

Comment

Kaak wrote:
              "great great, typo criticizes me with his 24th post..."

Oops, there went my respect for you down the drain, Kaak.

-- Roland

Comment

I have to agree with everything Leonidas said unfortunately. I do think these things will be fixed with patches etc and civers ingenuity.

Even with these gripes/problems, from what I can gather on various forums (barring the exceptional few), the people playing the game seem to be enjoying it. Plus Civ3 is getting good reviews so I still am looking forward to playing it.

Although I am gutted about no scenarios included.

Comment

I would rather have Firaxis spend 3 years on improving gameplay, then 3 years improving the graphics.
                  I somewhat agree, but I'm glad we're not playing with colored dots on a 50x50 square matrix.

ZOC's are only available with modern units, and ?fortresses? I think.
                  I hear the AI is significantly improved... I'll have to check for myself. Of course, all of the stores here in Arlington, Tx are
                  SLOW A FU.CK!!!!!!!!! THEY PISS ME OFF DAG NABBIT!!! GET THE FU.CKING GAME IN STOCK NOW!!!!
                  Comp USA told me November 5th.
                  Eat my d!ck!!!
                  "You don't have to be modest if you know you're right."- L. Rigdon

Comment

Kaak wrote:
                    "great great, typo criticizes me with his 24th post..."
                    FORUM DEBATING FACT: If all you can rebut someone with is a derisive comment regarding their postcount, you've automatically lost the argument. I have no doubt you probably have some way to back that up, but don't hope to convince anyone with this method.

Of course, I only have a few posts here, so what do I know?

Comment

Kaak. Do you have Civ2? Sounds like just the game for you
                      To be one with the Universe is to be very lonely - John Doe - Datalinks

Comment

Regarding the graphics,,,
                        Okay someone explain how can a Real-time game like AgeofKings have better-looking graphics, terrain and stuctures. easy smooth scolling across any size map, and yet way less system requirements..???
                        Why is it when it comes to "turn-base" we always say it's gameplay that counts..and always settle for less ??

Comment

ACE: Because AoK doesn't have to deal with everything the computer in Civ3 has too. There is much more there, such as what is every city building, what it already has, food production, trade, the money it is making, etc, etc.
                          “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                          - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Gee folks, I guess criticism of a flawed game isn't allowed around here. Instead, let's just blindly accept that this is a good game because it says civ3 on the box.

In that respect, honestly... they could have gotten away with just about anything chintz, and it looks like they are.

Comment

*yawn*

Criticism should be in the realm of reality.

Calling Civ3, CtP3, is NOT in the realm of reality. And you might be the only schlub that doesn't think the graphics are better than Civ2. Bet you were calling Sid a sellout for making Civ2 have isometric graphics?
                              “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                              - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

No, I actually do like the graphics better than number two for quality. Yet in terms of what I was expecting, for the graphics to carry in the same form of civ2s iconographic realism, it harshly failed. These graphics are just big studio cartoon garbage. By the way, in the relm of reality - what do you actually like in the game? I'll agree that you like those aspects, but you just can't seem to lend me self preferance in my dislikes.

CONFORMITY NOW SID IS COOL I LIKES DER STUFF

Comment

Working...
                                X