The OCC in Civ3

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The OCC in Civ3

Don't know if this has been pointed out before, but...

A new cultural victory can occur if one of your cities amasses 20,000 culture points, or if your entire empire amasses at least 80,000 culture points and no rival civ has more than half of your cultural value.

In other words, the "one city" victory doesn't care at all about how much culture the rest of the world has. Thus, it looks like the OCC will be much easier in Civ3... just go as psychotic as humanly possible on culture improvement and wonders as you can. Those don't require that many resources in general.

On the other hand, going to space will be nigh on impossible it sounds with an OCC. You'll need to stick colonies on far-flung resources, drop roads to them, and guard the area from enemy cities getting anywhere remotely near by so that the enemy's little culture expansion thing doesn't take it over a la Texas from Mexico, if I understand the culture bits properly.

Diplomatic victory will be tricky too, since you aren't going to have 25% of the world's population in one city short of massive nukage, you can call the game right then if you don't build the UN.

It might theoretically be possible on a map-edited game or being very lucky where you start on a small island with tons of resources and completlely isolated, but otherwise, it looks like culture is the only way to go with the OCC this time around, and depending on how possible it is to stack up that much culture in a city, it looks like it'll actually be easier.

Just thought I'd point this out. We'll see how true it is soon enough.
    All syllogisms have three parts.
    Therefore this is not a syllogism.

Snowfire, the cultural victory is supposed to be very hard... comparatively.
    “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
    - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

With the AI improvements and whatnot, I don't imagine it's going to be all that easy.

Comment

Perhaps. But if getting to 20,000 in a single city is possible, I suspect that it will perhaps be most possible in an OCC type scenario. If I wanted to psychotically build up one city in Civ2, I could ship lots of caravans into it to help rush wonders. Can't do that anymore. Plus, with just one city, you can focus dramatically more on it. When you're worried about "the good of the civiliation" as a whole, interior cities are going to spend a good amount of their growth and time pumping out things like settlers. Now you can exclusively grow this one city from the start, get all the cultural improvements very fast since you don't waste time with settlers or many military units, terraform the surrounding area to the max...

One reason why cultural victory will probably be hard is the "must be double nearest opponent" condition. Again, that is not an issue now, you can just blaze towards 20K in culture with this one city that you stack every Wonder humanly possible in.

Comment

This would be appropriate to move to Civ3-Strategy, don't you think?

Comment

I suppose, now that that forum exists. I suppose I'm too used to postring everything in Civ3 general.

The mods can move this if they see fit, I'd have no problem with it.

Comment

Working...
            X