First Impressions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First Impressions

Jonah Falcon (yes he is one and the same with the Gamepen reviewer), has given us some first impressions on Civ3:

- Typical(full) installation: 700MB
    - Intro video is exactly the same as the one posted on Gamespot
    - Extremely windows friendly(we have been chating on icq for over 2 hours while he was playing civ3!)
    - Excellent music, amazing world setup screen
    - Manual is really big, do read it before starting a game
    - Saved games start at 2.5MB!!!
    - Interface is not 100% like civ2, you will need some time to learn it
    - After more than 2 hours of playing along with icq chating and screenshot grabbing, civ3 did crash. Not a serious issue though due to very smooth autosave feature, which goes unnoticed
    Co-Founder, Apolyton Civilization Site
    Co-Owner/Webmaster, Top40-Charts.com | CTO, Apogee Information Systems
    giannopoulos.info: my non-mobile non-photo news & articles blog

sounds wonderful.... although I hope the crash isn't a bad omen. I'm optomistic though and trust Firaxis.
    Second official member of OfAPeCiClu [as of 27-07-2001 12:13pm]: We will force firaxis to make a GOOD game through our sheer negativity!

Comment

Originally posted by Rommel393
      sounds wonderful.... although I hope the crash isn't a bad omen. I'm optomistic though and trust Firaxis.
      Processing big images (screenshots) takes a lot of RAM and CPU power--I wouldn't worry about it too much.

Comment

A crash already? I must admit, that is a bit ominous...let us hope it is just a one off!
        Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

Originally posted by Provost Harrison
          A crash already? I must admit, that is a bit ominous...let us hope it is just a one off!
          Well, we don't know the reason for it yet. He might have over acted and clicked on everything

PS
          PH I can't send you a PM as your mailbox is full. ColMap is updated.
          Creator of the Civ3MultiTool

Comment

Re: First Impressions

I don't want to rain on the Civ3 parade but some cool facts are in order.

Originally posted by MarkG
            Jonah Falcon (yes he is one and the same with the Gamepen reviewer), has given us some first impressions on Civ3:

- Typical(full) installation: 700MB
            Civ2MP had a mere +10Mb Footmark

- Intro video is exactly the same as the one posted on Gamespot
            Intro's are intro's how many of kept watching the Civ2 intro?

- Extremely windows friendly(we have been chating on icq for over 2 hours while he was playing civ3!)
            seems fair, but Civ2 had real windows
            - Excellent music, amazing world setup screen
            Only first impressions, the world setup screens in Civ and Civ2 were okay too

- Manual is really big, do read it before starting a game
            Nice too hear, hope it's better than the flaky strategy guide

- Saved games start at 2.5MB!!!
            That would explain the missing rules.txt a few weeks back and how the editor functions. Restarting/Reloading will be a pain on slower systems.

- Interface is not 100% like civ2, you will need some time to learn it

Hmmmmm...

- After more than 2 hours of playing along with icq chating and screenshot grabbing, civ3 did crash. Not a serious issue though due to very smooth autosave feature, which goes unnoticed

I'll give the benefit of the doubt.

In short, be weary of eye- and ear candy.

As for the rest....enjoy the game!
            Skeptics should forego any thought of convincing the unconvinced that we hold the torch of truth illuminating the darkness. A more modest, realistic, and achievable goal is to encourage the idea that one may be mistaken. Doubt is humbling and constructive; it leads to rational thought in weighing alternatives and fully reexamining options, and it opens unlimited vistas.

Elie A. Shneour Skeptical Inquirer

Comment

How challenging does the AI seem to be?

Are the promised 12 scenarios included?
              Now, if I ask myself: Who profits from a War against Iraq?, the answer is: Israel. -Prof. Rudolf Burger, Austrian Academy of Arts

Free Slobo, lock up George, learn from Kim-Jong-Il.

Comment

Re: Re: First Impressions

Originally posted by CapTVK
                Civ2MP had a mere +10Mb Footmark

HDs are alot larger now. And I believe that it mentions the space requirements on the box.

Interface is not 100% like civ2, you will need some time to learn it
                Hmmmmm...
                I would hope so. Civ2 was alooooong time ago.

Comment

That's nice and all but not worthy of a sticky thread. Personally, I am much more interested in the First Impressions of folks like Ralf or some of the long time Civ2/Apolyton vets.

Comment

Originally posted by Comrade Tribune
                    Are the promised 12 scenarios included?

Tell us about the scenarios, please!
                    Rome rules

Comment

Please, give them a brake.

ALL new software ALWAYS have some few bugs. By comparison; "Europa Universalis" didnt even start up the first time I booted it. That, I didnt like.
                      Last edited by Ralf; October 29, 2001, 18:42.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Clark
                        That's nice and all but not worthy of a sticky thread. Personally, I am much more interested in the First Impressions of folks like Ralf or some of the long time Civ2/Apolyton vets.
                        What happen? Did you get up with the wrong foot today?

Why should the official game pen reviewer not be able to tell us a *large* number of things we want to know?
                        Now, if I ask myself: Who profits from a War against Iraq?, the answer is: Israel. -Prof. Rudolf Burger, Austrian Academy of Arts

Free Slobo, lock up George, learn from Kim-Jong-Il.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Clark
                          ...And I shall certainly read your (and other apolyton-vets) impressions with great interests as well. Unfortunately, I dont get hold of my own copy, until earliest 16 november. So I guess you gonna beat me to it.

Comment

Originally posted by Rommel393
                            Considering that he was apparently playing the game, grabbing screenshots AND chatting on ICQ at the same time for 2 hours, I am not surprised that it finally crashed. That it took 2 hours before crashing is actually a good sign. I think if you tried to chat on icq, take screens and play at the same time with most games, they would crash long before 2 hours.
                            'There is a greater darkness than the one we fight. It is the darkness of the soul that has lost its way. The war we fight is not against powers and principalities, it is against chaos and despair. Greater than the death of flesh is the death of hope, the death of dreams. Against this peril we can never surrender. The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.'"
                            G'Kar - from Babylon 5 episode "Z'ha'dum"

Comment

Geez. One report of a crash and people get worried.

I hear reports of crashes all the time with games and 95%+ of the games I buy never have that problem. It's that people are playing on unstable systems or situations.

Now it is possible that Civ3 could be unstable for most people, but you can't make this conclusion after *ONE* report.

*Every* game that gets released has people complaining about crashes and it's usually their system, and not the game. Wait until more people report about their experiences before drawing any conclusions.

And, as others mentioned, he was multitasking with a very unstable situation.

Comment

Working...
                              X