No announcement yet.

Longevity is extremely powerful...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

But only one civ gets the benefit of the wonder.
    Das Ewige Friede ist ein Traum, und nicht einmal ein schöner /Moltke

Si vis pacem, para bellum /Vegetius

Comment

Originally posted by cyril25376
      I can only hope that this wonder is very expensive, so you have to decide wheter is it is useful to build, or to keep on building your spceship
      I make it a point to collect as many Wonders as can fit into my capital. And I don't have to worry about producing a spaceship; only the bloodlust victory option will be turned on.
      Humans are like cockroaches, no matter how hard you try, you can't exterminate them all!

Comment

Longevity as a scientific acheivement isn't all that far fetched. Ever been to England? Check out the doors on a 500 year old building. Medieval people averaged something like a foot to a foot and a half shorter than your average modern human. Better medicines and better eats make for a healtier populace.

Also, even fifty years ago, people simply didn't live into their nineties on a regular basis. Now, it's an international crisis; suddnely a huge chunk of our population is turning 'senior citizen' and yet will live thirty years beyond that.

Also, don't forget that it wasn't that long ago that for every birth, you were almost guarenteed that either the mother or the child would die. Not nowadays.

Comment

I still don´t see why people complain about Longevity, but not the Pyramids. If the Pyramids don´t unbalance the game, neither will Longevity. Longevity might be good for Communism, though: More draftees for the Motherland!
          Now, if I ask myself: Who profits from a War against Iraq?, the answer is: Israel. -Prof. Rudolf Burger, Austrian Academy of Arts

Free Slobo, lock up George, learn from Kim-Jong-Il.

Comment

Originally posted by Comrade Tribune
            I still don´t see why people complain about Longevity, but not the Pyramids. If the Pyramids don´t unbalance the game, neither will Longevity. Longevity might be good for Communism, though: More draftees for the Motherland!
            Any civ can reproduce the Pyramid's effects by building granaries; the effects of Longevity are unparalleled.

Comment

If all it does is double the population gain through the natural growth rate it should not be that imbalancing. I am wondering, does the number or rows of food to grow to the the next population size still max out after a certain size?

Comment

Originally posted by ajbera
                Any civ can reproduce the Pyramid's effects by building granaries; the effects of Longevity are unparalleled.
                But it comes so late, that it's really only useful in giving a civ that last push for culture (assuming population helps culture, a dubious assumption at best). By the time you get longevity, the end-game has begun, your cities are already metropolis' so there is minimal benefit, beyond helping your game score.

If longevity came in the industrial age, yes, it'd be overpowering, but it comes so late, that it doesn't change the end-game or how it's played at all.

Comment

You can't really use ito superdraft for the following reasons.

1 : Conscripts are a bunch of crap. In a modern game when you'd have longevity they'd be workless except as cannon fodder.( something to train your enemies units with. )

2 : You can only draft a max of 3 per city.

3 : Your cities hate it and will cause widespread revolts.

Longevity is actually only useful if you've left a lot of miniature undeveloped cities out in deserts somewhere and have only just started to develop them. As far as I can see it was probably only put in for catch up purposes and to encourage growth in the modern age ( I mean did you EVER build a city in civ2 after you started the 2oth century? )
                  A witty quote proves nothing. - Voltaire

Comment

Originally posted by lockstep
                    IMO, pop booming wasn´t even a 'strategy' in Civ2 (that would imply the presence of alternatives), but a necessity. If you didn´t do it in the higher levels, you were doomed.
                    I never used pop-booms in Civ2 or SMAC, never even heard of the strategy till I got onto Apol and I still thought it was wildy unrealistic, so I wouldn't use it. I'd still regularly beat the AI on Deity and Transcend

Comment

Originally posted by ajbera
                      Sure; but that late in the game, it will hardly be decisive. In fact, I doubt I will bother to build it. Look at it like this: What use is Longevity, if in the meantime someone else is building the Spaceship (or enough ICBMs to nuke you back into the Stone age)? At the time you have researched genetics, you will probably have more pressing priorities than a long-term increase in population.
                      Now, if I ask myself: Who profits from a War against Iraq?, the answer is: Israel. -Prof. Rudolf Burger, Austrian Academy of Arts

Comment

Ahh yes, if it gives you the ability to actually found modern cities and grow them to a decent size then that would be nice. Still expensive trying to catch them up in turms of city improvements though.

Comment

Originally posted by Faboba
                          You can't really use ito superdraft for the following reasons.

I believe that may be the one worthwhile use of it.

1 : Conscripts are a bunch of crap.

Not if you use them wisely.

2 : You can only draft a max of 3 per city.

Per turn.

3 : Your cities hate it and will cause widespread revolts.

One way to use the conscripts.

Comment

Originally posted by SerapisIV
                            I never used pop-booms in Civ2 or SMAC, never even heard of the strategy till I got onto Apol and I still thought it was wildy unrealistic, so I wouldn't use it. I'd still regularly beat the AI on Deity and Transcend
                            I should have said 'Without pop booming, I would be doomed at the higher levels'.

No kidding: While it is possible for skilled players to win on Deity and Transcend without pop booming, you can´t go wrong with it. I consider pop booming as powerful as ICS and even more unrealistic, that´s why I called it a gamebreaker. (After a bug in the original SMAC version regarding the ability of some factions to pop boom was fixed in SMACX, some people termed the result a different game.)

I simply wonder why people complain about the power of the Longevity wonder instead celebrating the removal of pop booming.
                            "As far as general advice on mod-making: Go slow as far as adding new things to the game until you have the basic game all smoothed out ... Make sure the things you change are really imbalances and not just something that doesn't fit with your particular style of play." - WesW

Comment

Originally posted by lockstep
                              I simply wonder why people complain about the power of the Longevity wonder instead celebrating the removal of pop booming.
                              People are not being realistic when they call Longevity powerful. It's actually quite weak, not because of its benefits, but because of its location on the tech tree, too late to make much difference.

Comment

Working...
                              X