Longevity is extremely powerful...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Longevity is extremely powerful...

Isn´t Longevity extremely powerful. It make your cites increase with 2 population points instead of 1 every time.
    Das Ewige Friede ist ein Traum, und nicht einmal ein schöner /Moltke

Si vis pacem, para bellum /Vegetius

True, it's very powerful, but it also comes late in the game.

Comment

Where did you here about that.

But anyways if it is true (which i'm assuming it is) not really if its really late in the game, in fact its kind of useless at that point, IMO

PS Whoohoo, now i am a Prince! yessss
      Let us unite together as one nation, a world nation" - Gundam Wing

"The God of War will destroy all mortals whom dare stand in his way"

Comment

Better the Longevity wonder for a single civ than population booms for all civs. That was a game breaker.
        "As far as general advice on mod-making: Go slow as far as adding new things to the game until you have the basic game all smoothed out ... Make sure the things you change are really imbalances and not just something that doesn't fit with your particular style of play." - WesW

Comment

I'm actually considering renaming Longevity to something else (Baby Boom, Procreative Directive, etc.) and making it a Small Wonder...that way each civ has the opportunity for a spurt of unbridled growth...however, I have to know if there is a limit or duration for the effects, if I can stop them after a time.

Ideally, I can turn this into a Small Wonder (so each civ can have a boost), it will be of limited duration, and it won't be tied to any particular era (so the pop boom can occur at any point in history). I just want to be able to recreate China or India's giant populations, or the U.S.' post-WW2 Baby Boom.

If I can't make the changes I want, I think I may just disable this Wonder.

Comment

I am thinking that longevity would be extremely powerful in war times. It could really help when you're trying to conscript an army. Also, if you manage to get it while there's still space on the map, it could make expansion really easy.
            Never underestimate the healing powers of custard.

Comment

I think the effect of Longevity is much better. Automatic pop boom was way too strong. It was clearly unbalancing. Now, Longevity just effectively doubles pop growth which is great. yes, it comes fairly late, but I think it will still be a fairly useful WoW. Th extra pop growth could come in very handy at the end to give your civ a last boost.

let us not forget that if the the # votes of each civ depend on pop, then the Longevity could be very important for a UN victory! We already know that a civ needs at least 25% of world pop in order to be a candidate. The Longevity could be just the thing a civ needs to be a candiate in the UN election. So, it could end up pretty useful for a UN victory!
              'There is a greater darkness than the one we fight. It is the darkness of the soul that has lost its way. The war we fight is not against powers and principalities, it is against chaos and despair. Greater than the death of flesh is the death of hope, the death of dreams. Against this peril we can never surrender. The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.'"
              G'Kar - from Babylon 5 episode "Z'ha'dum"

Comment

The effect is similar to a second Granary, so Longevity is very similar to Pyramids, but Pyramids come earlier, so they are much more powerful.

That said, a civ that has both Pyramids and Longevity might grow really fast. But do they overlap in time?
                Now, if I ask myself: Who profits from a War against Iraq?, the answer is: Israel. -Prof. Rudolf Burger, Austrian Academy of Arts

Free Slobo, lock up George, learn from Kim-Jong-Il.

Comment

But isn't it true, that mayor wonders are meant
                  to be powerful? That's why we have minor wonders too.
                  "Kids, don't listen to uncle Solver unless you want your parents to spank you." - Solver

Comment

When does the wonder come into being?
                    -->Visit CGN!
                    -->"Production! More Production! Production creates Wealth! Production creates more Jobs!"-Wendell Willkie -1944

Comment

Originally posted by DarkCloud
                      When does the wonder come into being?
                      Longevity comes with the "Genetics" tech, right?
                      'There is a greater darkness than the one we fight. It is the darkness of the soul that has lost its way. The war we fight is not against powers and principalities, it is against chaos and despair. Greater than the death of flesh is the death of hope, the death of dreams. Against this peril we can never surrender. The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.'"
                      G'Kar - from Babylon 5 episode "Z'ha'dum"

Comment

Originally posted by lockstep
                        Better the Longevity wonder for a single civ than population booms for all civs. That was a game breaker.
                        That's a strange way to balance the game. Take away a strategy that everyone can use and turn it into something only one person can build. I think that this one deserves to be a minor wonder on game balance alone. (Though it is hard to see how if such a thing were developed in RL that it couldn't be duplicated in other industrialized countries.....)
                        We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness... T. Jefferson "The Declaration of Independence"

Comment

QUOTE]Originally posted by Gyromancer
                          That's a strange way to balance the game. Take away a strategy that everyone can use and turn it into something only one person can build.[/QUOTE]
                          I can only hope that this wonder is very expensive, so you have to decide wheter is it is useful to build, or to keep on building your spceship

Comment

Originally posted by Gyromancer
                            That's a strange way to balance the game. Take away a strategy that everyone can use and turn it into something only one person can build.
                            Besides availability, there are some other differences between Civ2´s pop boom and Civ3´s Longevity wonder:

- Pop booms (available via the 'We-love-the-leader-day') made a city´s population grow every single turn, while the Longevity wonder 'only' doubles the growth rate.

- Pop booms were essentially available with Republic and some city improvements (i.e. in the early game), while the Longevity wonder is available with Genetics (i.e. in the late game).

IMO, pop booming wasn´t even a 'strategy' in Civ2 (that would imply the presence of alternatives), but a necessity. If you didn´t do it in the higher levels, you were doomed.
                            "As far as general advice on mod-making: Go slow as far as adding new things to the game until you have the basic game all smoothed out ... Make sure the things you change are really imbalances and not just something that doesn't fit with your particular style of play." - WesW

Comment

Originally posted by ajbera
                              a spurt of unbridled growth...
                              You're kill 'en me...
                              "What do you think Abraham Lincoln would be doing if he were alive today? (1) Writing his memoirs of the Civil War. (2) Advising the President. (3) Desperately clawing at the inside of his coffin."

Comment

Working...
                              X