Defense bonus for being in a city!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Defense bonus for being in a city!!

City walls only provide a defense bonus of 50%, and disappear once your city reaches size 7. Size 7-12 cities have an inherent defense bonus of 50%, and cities larger than 12 have an inherent bonus of 100%.
    YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSSSS!

"Chegitz, still angry about the fall of the Soviet Union in 1991?
    You provide no source. You PROVIDE NOTHING! And yet you want to destroy capitalism.. you criminal..." - Fez

"I was hoping for a Communist utopia that would last forever." - Imran Siddiqui

I believe that was in civ2, too. Wasn't it; or may be i'm thinking of ctp
    Let us unite together as one nation, a world nation" - Gundam Wing

"The God of War will destroy all mortals whom dare stand in his way"

Comment

No, I don't think it was in civ2. Could have been in CTP; I don't remember anything about that game.

Comment

It makes sense. Protecting in numbers
        "Everything for the State, nothing against the State, nothing outside the State" - Benito Mussolini

Comment

Actually, it's more you'll enter the stalingrad fun.

Comment

IMO, having not played the game, this makes city walls worthless. Better off spending the shields on defensive units than building walls that are pointless at size 7.

Comment

Originally posted by Stretch
              IMO, having not played the game, this makes city walls worthless. Better off spending the shields on defensive units than building walls that are pointless at size 7.
              Well, if there cheap and cost nothing to keep and are gotton fairly early on, then I would still use em...
              "Nuke em all, let god sort it out!"

Comment

Maybe I'm reading it the wrong way, but to me that sounds like combat in cities is going to result in unavoidable population losses once the city gets too big for a wall. A very good thing in my opinion, and it would fit with Dan's description of shelling advanced cities into smoking ruins rather than capture them intact.
                To doubt everything or to believe everything are two equally convenient solutions; both dispense with the necessity of reflection.
                H.Poincaré

Comment

seems like a cheezy way of getting around outdating city walls.

it promotes growth to some degree i suppose, but do you get money for the walls when you hit 7?
                  "I've lived too long with pain. I won't know who I am without it. We have to leave this place, I am almost happy here."
                  - Ender, from Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card

Comment

sounds cool to me.

Comment

Originally posted by UberKruX
                      seems like a cheezy way of getting around outdating city walls.

it promotes growth to some degree i suppose, but do you get money for the walls when you hit 7?
                      What would be really neat (probably way too late, but we just found this out!) is if when your citizens start to outgrow their walls, they tear them down for building material, so instead of cash, you'd get a one-time production boost. Maybe 1/4-1/2 of the resources you put in.

And for whoever (sorry, I tend to miss names) thought walls were useless in general, keep in mind you won't get to size 7 without aqueducts, so for some period, walls will certainly be useful. And no matter what, if you're on the end of an empire, and the guy across the border isn't 100% reliable, you want those walls.

Comment

What would be kind of neat is if after your city increased in size past say size 7 and 12 you would have to renew your city walls or they would only protect at like 1/4 of their orginal power

BTW - why would city walls be useless. with a size 12 city with city walls you get 150% increased defense, a hell of a lot better than just 50%. I mean with that a pikeman (3*2.5 = defense of 7, 1 more, which can make a big difference.), and by the time you would most likely have the large city, although i don't know the true defense value, but i would guess a mech infantry would have at least a 15 defense value. That would be 15*2.5 = a defense value of 37.5, better than just 30 considering the modern tank has a attack around 32. Okay now i'm ranting so i'm going to stop

Comment

Originally posted by Mars
                          What would be kind of neat is if after your city increased in size past say size 7 and 12 you would have to renew your city walls or they would only protect at like 1/4 of their orginal power

BTW - why would city walls be useless. with a size 12 city with city walls you get 150% increased defense, a hell of a lot better than just 50%. I mean with that a pikeman (3*2.5 = defense of 7, 1 more, which can make a big difference.), and by the time you would most likely have the large city, although i don't know the true defense value, but i would guess a mech infantry would have at least a 15 defense value. That would be 15*2.5 = a defense value of 37.5, better than just 30 considering the modern tank has a attack around 32. Okay now i'm ranting so i'm going to stop
                          I think it basically represents that you can't really wall in a modern city. I mean, size 7 is what, 300,000 people or so? You just don't wall that kinda space in.

Someone mentioned walls in Quebec City in some other thread people discussed this, but then, if I recall right, from when I was there back in 89, the walls only enclose the 'inner city'. Most of the city, in modern fashion has grown quite outside them, and would be useless for defense.

Comment

The walls in Quebec would be useless for defense of the inner city as well now a days. tanks could smash right through the gates. but that doesn't matter its just a gameplay thing, IMO. but maybe you're right perhaps walls should just go obselate after the discover of gunpowder or something. Only fortresses are still effective after that period, not walled cities

Comment

Originally posted by Lawrence of Arabia
                              It makes sense. Protecting in numbers
                              Yes, this make me remember the city defense force in SMAC, but here the numbers make the diference.
                              Very good!
                              Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so.

Comment

Working...
                              X