Oil - My favorite resource!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

i think it would make some kickass scenarios, "OPEC Bloackade"
    "I've lived too long with pain. I won't know who I am without it. We have to leave this place, I am almost happy here."
    - Ender, from Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card

Comment

In other words, if I have one tile inside my borders that contains iron, or one tile that contains oil, will that be sufficient for as many cities and units as I can muster [assuming everything is connected by roads] or is there a limit to how many units or cities can be supported by/from a single resource tile?
      As I understand it, and the basis for all my recent posts, only one resource (quantity) is required to build as many units as you want, and the resource dependant buildings too.

So...it's somewhat black and white.

You have oil...you have access to many modern units.

You have no oil...you have no modern units...unless someone sells them to you? Will blockade stop this?

If you have more than one oil resource tile being worked you can sell access to it to an ally...or not...as the case may be

At higher levels where the AI is less likely to trade with you (I would think), an expansionist policy will be essential. You have to increase the likelihood that there will be all the resources within your own borders, or it will be almost impossible to gain the upper hand.

Both world wars depended upon the denial of resources for the axis powers. For those that don't know...

In WW1, Germany used saltpeter (potassium nitrate) resources from South America. It had none within its own national borders. The blockade by the British navy was for the most part extremely effective in denying them access to this resource. It is thought that WW1 would have been an awful lot shorter were this to have remained the case. Then along came Herr. Haber, who as most chemistry-minded high school students know invented the Haber process. This circumvented the blockade and allowed Germany to continue the war.

In WW2, the naval power of the Japanese was severely curtailed by blocking their access to oil reserves. I understand they used all kinds of non-refined alternatives, but none of them allowed the Japanese Navy to be as effective as if it had oil.

Andrew1999
      How do you know that oil and uranium are the ones most likely to disappear from the map?

Comment

This is a little off topic for this thread but;

why should the stealth fighter require uranium, shouldn't it require only aluminium, and oil like the bomber. I mean what in a stealth fighter has uranium,... or was that just a typo
        Let us unite together as one nation, a world nation" - Gundam Wing

"The God of War will destroy all mortals whom dare stand in his way"

Comment

Originally posted by Mars
          This is a little off topic for this thread but;

why should the stealth fighter require uranium, shouldn't it require only aluminium, and oil like the bomber. I mean what in a stealth fighter has uranium,... or was that just a typo
          yeah, that should have been aluminum. My mistake.

And the strategy guide says, "Uranium and Oil are the most prone to depletion, but Iron, Saltpeter, Aluminum and Coal supplies can also run out."

Comment

Originally posted by Andrew1999

yeah, that should have been aluminum. My mistake.

And the strategy guide says, "Uranium and Oil are the most prone to depletion, but Iron, Saltpeter, Aluminum and Coal supplies can also run out."
            is there online version of the strategy guide?
            ==========================
            www.forgiftable.com/

Artistic and hand-made ceramics found only at www.forgiftable.com.

Comment

Originally posted by UKScud
              SerapisIV, you've forgotten one very very important thing. How you gonna defend your lands with no oil. If you've no modern units then your resources are going to be up for grabs by the other oil-resourced Civs.

How you going to launch a starship with only saltpeter and coal?
              Assuming that all you're missing is oil, it's a resource that the spaceship doesn't need. Uranium is necessary. (Besides that, no rocket uses oil, they usually use exotic fuels like hydrazine)

Also you could easily defend with lots of infantry fortified in your cities, then culture expand your way into enemy territory. If you play nice with local civs, all you need is a tech lead with SS necessary tech, the rest you can give away to keep people happy.

Comment

is there online version of the strategy guide?
                I suppose not...

Their idea is to make money with it.
                Selling it on pdf would make it just spread to fast.
                I do not want to achieve immortality threw my work. I want to achieve it threw not dying - Woody Allen

Comment

Assuming that all you're missing is oil, it's a resource that the spaceship doesn't need. Uranium is necessary. (Besides that, no rocket uses oil, they usually use exotic fuels like hydrazine)
                  SerapisIV
                  I don't dispute that oil is not required for the starship launch, but I do maintain however, that it would not be possible for a Civ to protect itself (and complete the starship) if it did not have the modern units that oil allows. Hence my comment about saltpeter and coal.

Late 19th Century units just won't be able to defend against the more modern units.

If you don't have oil, you can't defend yourself in the late game, and its very unlikely that you'll survive to the end of the game, bar defeat.

I challenge everyone, once Civ3 is released, try to win a game, of at least Prince level (that's the one with no AI/player bonuses isn't it?) without exploiting any oil resource at all.

Comment

You know what would make a great game/scenario? A couple of patches of oil in the world - which run out soon after discovery! Hope you built some armor already! Makes those modern units you built all the more valuable. (Hell no don't send in the fighters yet! Send in the cavalry to soften them up first. We can't build anymore $%^ing jets. So save them until the enemy is down completely to premodern units. Then bring out the fighters and tanks!)
                    - "A picture may be worth a thousand words, but it still ain't a part number." - Ron Reynolds
                    - I went to Zanarkand, and all I got was this lousy aeon!
                    - "... over 10 members raised complaints about you... and jerk was one of the nicer things they called you" - Ming

Comment

Yeah, the potential for very limited resources scenarios is great. How about just one patch of each type of resources. It'd stop all armies looking the same!

Comment

Another strategy to use when you don't have the resources is send your workers out to work on the land as they have a small chance of discovering a resource. Hopefully oil!
                        'No room for human error, and really it's thousands of times safer than letting drivers do it. But the one in ten million has come up once again, and the the cause of the accident is sits, something in the silicon.' - The Gold Coast - Kim Stanley Robinson

'Feels just like I can take a thousand miles in my stride hey yey' - Oh, Baby - Rhianna

Comment

SerapisIV
                          I don't dispute that oil is not required for the starship launch, but I do maintain however, that it would not be possible for a Civ to protect itself (and complete the starship) if it did not have the modern units that oil allows. Hence my comment about saltpeter and coal.

Late 19th Century units just won't be able to defend against the more modern units.

If you don't have oil, you can't defend yourself in the late game, and its very unlikely that you'll survive to the end of the game, bar defeat.

I challenge everyone, once Civ3 is released, try to win a game, of at least Prince level (that's the one with no AI/player bonuses isn't it?) without exploiting any oil resource at all.
                          Metropolis' give a defense of 100% Infantry have defense of 10, artillery require nothing. The most modern army unit has only 24 attack. I'd say that lots of infantry would fare pretty well in metropolis.' In addition to having artillery to weaken your attackers.

I don't care about real history. The way Civ3 units are established, you could easily protect yourself without oil. You couldn't attack anyone but you could easily defend yourself. Throw in diplomacy with a few client states who want your tech and your civ could easily defend without oil.

Comment

I don't care about real history. The way Civ3 units are established, you could easily protect yourself without oil. You couldn't attack anyone but you could easily defend yourself. Throw in diplomacy with a few client states who want your tech and your civ could easily defend without oil.
                            Then you'll accept my challenge as a gentlemens wager?

Comment

In general, a nice idea. I'll be bombing roads that give them oil, and then laugh as my Tanks kill his Musketmen...
                              Solver, WePlayCiv Co-Administrator
                              I can kill you whenever I please... but not today. - The Cigarette Smoking Man

Comment

Then you'll accept my challenge as a gentlemens wager?
                                Wish I could, I'll be lucky to play 3 games of Civ3 by the end of May. I'm forced to use my girlfriends computer to play (mine's too old). She also bought the game for me for Xmas. It took 3 weeks of whining for her to let me play it this weekend when it arrives and I can't guarantee that she still will let me play. Also, I guarantee you that she'll whine her way into not letting me play more then 2-5 hours per week, yeah thats right, per week. I'll start hearing the usual whines of "why won't you talk to me, all you care about is that game, why don't you spend time with me." There goes my Civ playing, but at least I'll have the game.

It'll be at least 3 games of just having fun before I'd be confident in my game knowledge to actually take on any resource limited challenges. Ask me again next spring. Maybe I'll actually have finished my second game by then. (women, can't live with them... can't kill 'em)

Comment

Working...
                                X