Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Akillias
    umm civ isnt out yet
    How do you know exactly? How do you know some rogue part time clerk in Iowa hasn't already put them out for purchase?
    - "A picture may be worth a thousand words, but it still ain't a part number." - Ron Reynolds
    - I went to Zanarkand, and all I got was this lousy aeon!
    - "... over 10 members raised complaints about you... and jerk was one of the nicer things they called you" - Ming

Comment

So that means some consumer, somewhere out there is playing civ 3??
      http://monkspider.blogspot.com/

Comment

Veterox,
        Have you managed to contact your friend's friend. If you do why don't you ask him to post here and describe the game?

I am sure he will be very popular here the next few days.

Comment

My friend gave me his friends AOL IM name... he hasnt come on... probably because hes too busy playing

Comment

Can someone tell me why they would get Civ 3 and then keep it in a store room for 3 days before selling it? wouldnt they want to sell it the instant it arrived to make space for new inventory? Is this like a "fairness" issure where its "not Fair" if NYC sells the game before some small town in Kansas or something? someone plz explain... I think If I owned a store id sell products the instand the arrived.

Comment

Originally posted by VetteroX
              Can someone tell me why they would get Civ 3 and then keep it in a store room for 3 days before selling it? wouldnt they want to sell it the instant it arrived to make space for new inventory? Is this like a "fairness" issure where its "not Fair" if NYC sells the game before some small town in Kansas or something? someone plz explain... I think If I owned a store id sell products the instand the arrived.
              No, it is what the buyer agreed to when he ordered the game. Break that agreement and you'll be lucky to see the next big Infogrames release (MOO3) a month after every other store has it.
              "The greatest happiness of life is the conviction that we are loved - loved for ourselves, or rather, loved in spite of ourselves."--Victor Hugo

Comment

but why is that the deal? why not sell when u get it?

Comment

So darn bored... I want this freaking game NOW. Makes me even angryer that all the Comp store guys and game mag people are probably playing Civ 3 right now.

Comment

It all has to deal with "fair business trade."

If there is a "release date" for a given game (like Civ3), then stores are obligated to abide by this date...of course, there are a few scattered exceptions (stock clerks placing the game on the rack not realizing it shouldn't be put on display yet), but once the mistake is realized by the store who mistakenly placed the merchandise on sale early, the merchandise is "usually" taken back down and held until the release date.

This all comes from the aspect that all stores should have the same advantage in placing a newly released game up for sale. Of course it's not fool-proof, but most (IMO, 99.99% of stores) abide by this "golden rule."

I hope this answered your question VetteroX.
                    "One day if I do go to heaven, I'm going to do what every San Franciscan does who goes to heaven - I'll look around and say, 'It ain't bad, but it ain't San Francisco.'" - Herb Caen, 1996
                    "If God, as they say, is homophobic, I wouldn't worship that God." - Archbishop Desmond Tutu

Comment

That is the way retail works, especially with a company like Infogrames. You play by their rules, or you play without their product. Best Buy isn't going to take the chance they will be cut-off of the Infogrames console games (PS2, Xbox,cube) which they will make mountains of money on, just so a handfull of PC gamers can get their hands on a game that will not even make half the profit that an average console game will get them. It is the same reason you, me and everyone will pay about the same amount for the game. You play by Infogrames' rules or you are out of business. Retail is a rough dirty business, why else do you see so many malls and shopping centers barely half occupied.
                      "The greatest happiness of life is the conviction that we are loved - loved for ourselves, or rather, loved in spite of ourselves."--Victor Hugo

Comment

Originally posted by Swissy
                        That is the way retail works, especially with a company like Infogrames. You play by their rules, or you play without their product. Best Buy isn't going to take the chance they will be cut-off of the Infogrames console games (PS2, Xbox,cube) which they will make mountains of money on, just so a handful of PC gamers can get their hands on a game that will not even make half the profit that an average console game will get them.
                        Precisely Swissy! I couldn't have said it better!
                        "One day if I do go to heaven, I'm going to do what every San Franciscan does who goes to heaven - I'll look around and say, 'It ain't bad, but it ain't San Francisco.'" - Herb Caen, 1996
                        "If God, as they say, is homophobic, I wouldn't worship that God." - Archbishop Desmond Tutu

Comment

Hey, stop whining there across the great ocean about the release date. We have to wait til November 16th. AAARRRRRRRRRGGGGGHHHH
                          "The world is too small in Vorarlberg". Austrian ex-vice-chancellor Hubert Gorbach in a letter to Alistar [sic] Darling, looking for a job...
                          "Let me break this down for you, fresh from algebra II. A 95% chance to win 5 times means a (95*5) chance to win = 475% chance to win." Wiglaf, Court jester or hayseed, you judge.

Comment

I still think it is a PIRATED copy.
                            At first, someone bribes a someone several days after games goes gold,
                            and gets the code, then they make a copies quicker than a publisher, and
                            then they sell a game (for 5$) before a release date. It is entirely possibile.
                            The same tghing happens in film industry also (gettnig pirated VSH before a premiere).

Comment

Originally posted by The Templar
                              How do you know exactly? How do you know some rogue part time clerk in Iowa hasn't already put them out for purchase?
                              Because if it was, that person would post here, saying, "I GOT IT!"

The title to this thread would be "Civ III Out!!!!!", and not Civ III Out!!!???
                              Eine Spritze gegen Schmerzen, bitte.

Comment

Pirated versions of games (and all other software too) cost $1.5 per CD
                                here and come the same day or a day after the official release while
                                you have to wait few weeks/months (depends on the genre) and pay from
                                $25 to $50 for a legal copy.

TBS games like Civ series are very unpopular here compared to RTS
                                and hybrid games like Diablo or Black and White so companies wont
                                bother to import games like Civ very quickly.

BTW, one could bought Diablo 2: Lord of Destruction few days after it
                                was officially released in US and the price was $25 only compared to $35
                                in US.

On Tuesday or Wednesday I'll go to my "retailer" and come back
                                (I really hope so) with a fresh Civilization III warez copy If my dreams
                                will not come true then I'll just download ISO or CD image in any other
                                format. All next week I'm having holidays from school so a kind of
                                marathon awaits...

I'm open to criticism and insults on how bad I am etc..

Comment

Working...
                                X