Defeating the "inevitable winner" syndrome

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Defeating the "inevitable winner" syndrome

Something just came to me when I replied to the tanks/rubber thread. One of the things that may critical to the gameplay success of Civ3 is whether the new features/models prevents the "inevitable winner" syndrome. You know what this is. Let's say you are sitting in 1750 with Civ2 and you are going for a bloodlust victory. You have your war machine cranking and are stronger (and will remain stronger) than everyone else. You know you are going to win eventually, but you still have 3 civs left to clobber, each with a dozen large cities. Now you have to play it out or quit, but you know that you will be the inevitable winner.

So in Civ3, with the appearance of new resources late in the game, perhaps if you are really behind, this will be the chance for you to catch up. Not just in the modern ages, but perhaps there will be certain "elements" throughout the game that prevents the "inevitable winner" syndrome?

Re: Defeating the "inevitable winner" syndrome

Originally posted by Steve Clark
    Let's say you are sitting in 1750 with Civ2 and you are going for a bloodlust victory. You have your war machine cranking and are stronger (and will remain stronger) than everyone else. You know you are going to win eventually, but you still have 3 civs left to clobber, each with a dozen large cities. Now you have to play it out or quit, but you know that you will be the inevitable winner.
    I think you will have to clobber only one of those three, because of Domination Victory.
    Now, if I ask myself: Who profits from a War against Iraq?, the answer is: Israel. -Prof. Rudolf Burger, Austrian Academy of Arts

Free Slobo, lock up George, learn from Kim-Jong-Il.

Comment

If you're using the "Domination" victory option, the inevitable winner wins (once they control 2/3 of the world).

I guess I see you're point though; it may be possible to do some quick catching up if you are losing but find that all the world's uranium is within your sphere of influence. Hopefully this will be possible.
      "Stuie has the right idea" - Japher
      "I trust Stuie and all involved." - SlowwHand
      "Stuie is right...." - Guynemer

Comment

Unless you're really, really behind, I don't think that it is always possible for a player to get back into the game. There are so many ways to win, that there is always a way to bounce back. Particularly since new resources can totally shift the balance of power. Just think of what could happen when a nation has a virtual monopoly over uranium!

That could certainly change things.
        Of the Holy Roman Empire, this was once said:
        "It is neither holy or roman, nor is it an empire."

Comment

Originally posted by Jason Beaudoin
          Just think of what could happen when a nation has a virtual monopoly over uranium!

That could certainly change things.
          Yeah, they will get clobbered immediately.

In this evil world, a monopoly on something very valuable is not necessarily good for your health.
          Now, if I ask myself: Who profits from a War against Iraq?, the answer is: Israel. -Prof. Rudolf Burger, Austrian Academy of Arts

Free Slobo, lock up George, learn from Kim-Jong-Il.

Comment

Originally posted by Comrade Tribune
            In this evil world, a monopoly on something very valuable is not necessarily good for your health.
            Depends on the resource. We, for example, have the monopoly on haggis...

Comment

Originally posted by GodSpawn Depends on the resource. We, for example, have the monopoly on haggis...
              What is haggis anyway? I know that is mostly made of parts of a sheep, but I don't know *what* it exactly is. Some kind of sausage?
              :p:p:p|__Hakkapeliitta/Jeki__|:p:p:p
              You wanna see me spank my monkey?
              I'll shake your hand later, I have an...itch.

Comment

Traditional Haggis is a sheeps stomach stuffed with minced oats, sheeps brain, pancreas, heart, liver, lamb, guts and spices and boiled for a few hours. It is served with neeps and tatties (mashed swede and mashed potatoes).

It sounds disgusting but it is actually rather tasty.

Scotch people like to eat it when they celebrate Robert Burns day.

Yum )

Comment

Originally posted by Doctor Bob
                  Traditional Haggis is a sheeps stomach stuffed with minced oats, sheeps brain, pancreas, heart, liver, lamb, guts and spices and boiled for a few hours. It is served with neeps and tatties (mashed swede and mashed potatoes).

It sounds disgusting but it is actually rather tasty.
                  I'll try to remember that if I'll go to Scotland some day.
                  :p:p:p|__Hakkapeliitta/Jeki__|:p:p:p
                  You wanna see me spank my monkey?
                  I'll shake your hand later, I have an...itch.

Comment

Well, I suggested that large empires should suffer more when changing governments, with prolonged, bloody civil wars.

Haggis is not something I eat, if I have any choice in the matter.
                    Same goes for deep-fried mars bars. And porridge. And especially oatcakes.

Shortbread and Irn-Bru are pretty good though.

Comment

Just a quick thought......

If you are really really behind and then have the misfortune of having a monopoly on uranium then the big boys are going to tear you apart to get that uranium. Always make sure you have a decent military. Just my opinion though.....
                      signature not visible until patch comes out.

Comment

Originally posted by Doctor Bob
                        I'll stick to my steak & kidney pie thanx.

The inevitable winner syndrome comes from bigger is better syndrome. That is the central problem that needs to be addressed.
                        One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

Comment

The inevitable winner syndrome comes from bigger is better syndrome.
                          If done correctly bigger is always better. Now to do it correctly in Civ3 I think it will require great precision of your empire and hardwork. For all empires, regardless of size, one will have to balance out five major areas of one's empire, culture, military, science, trade, and general improvements. Now to do this on a large empire could be very difficult. Wait, let me retract my previous statement, 'it WILL be very difficult'. BAB will hold true to a degree, but to achieve BAB in Civ3 one will have to be a great strategists.
                          However, it is difficult to believe that 2 times 2 does not equal 4; does that make it true? On the other hand, is it really so difficult simply to accept everything that one has been brought up on and that has gradually struck deep roots – what is considered truth in the circle of moreover, really comforts and elevates man? Is that more difficult than to strike new paths, fighting the habitual, experiencing the insecurity of independence and the frequent wavering of one’s feelings and even one’s conscience, proceeding often without any consolation, but ever with the eternal goal of the true, the beautiful, and the good? - F.N.

Comment

you could use the civ 3 editor and put uranium oil and rubber all over ur starting location

Comment

I think it depends...if you're diplomatically savvy, you can probably deal that resource to get yourself back into a prime position. So if I have Uranium, I can trade it to the Russians for a tech or two, possibly, or maybe some gold every turn. Or you could supply all the major powers in the hopes that they'll destroy each other with Nukes, putting you in position to take the lead..

Ok, I want the game now
                              ----
                              "I never let my schooling get in the way of my education" -Mark Twain

Comment

Working...
                              X