Lifting the "Fog of War"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lifting the "Fog of War"

Has there been any mention of a technology, wonder, or unit which lifts the Fog of War for the known world?

I think in CTP the fog of war was lifted when space travel was researched (could be wrong here). It was really nice to see it disappear.

Anyone know?

Civ 2: Apollo Program = Reveals everything on the map (turns take forever)

Civ 2 didn't have fog of war btw.
    Alex

Comment

Originally posted by Alex 14
      Civ 2: Apollo Program = Reveals everything on the map (turns take forever)

Civ 2 didn't have fog of war btw.
      Yes, Civ2 didn't have the fog of war. You've reminded me of how Civ 2 worked, though. Perhaps Civ III will be similar, a (hopefully small) wonder will reveal the whole map and lift the fog of war.

Comment

Don't you think it will slow the game down?
        Alex

Comment

Civ2 did have FOW. It was invisible (unseen terrain not darker) but you could not see what enemy units were up to.
          To be one with the Universe is to be very lonely - John Doe - Datalinks

Comment

Yeah, your right. Now i remember.
            Alex

Comment

CTP2 had a globe-sat thingy which rasied the fog of war...
              It was completely lagtastic.

Comment

I heard something about satellites being in CivIII- but I have no idea what they would do.

I might go double check the tech tree screens for this.

In SMAX, there were two things (besides units) that could enhance visual range: Sensor Towers (CivIII radar towers?) and Geo-synchronous Sattelites (also in CivIII?).

Comment

Yeah, the CTP had the GlobeSat wonder. Of course it was always beyond me why only one civ could build a surveilance satelite network. Makes sense that everyone could build satelites (like in SMAC). Hope its either in, or the flags are their ro put them in with the editor.
                  - "A picture may be worth a thousand words, but it still ain't a part number." - Ron Reynolds
                  - I went to Zanarkand, and all I got was this lousy aeon!
                  - "... over 10 members raised complaints about you... and jerk was one of the nicer things they called you" - Ming

Comment

I dislike the lifting of fog of war because it isn't realistic at all. Look at Vietnam. Crap, just look at Afghanistan. All those million/billion dollar satelites are useless in the hills where the Taliban hide.
                    To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Originally posted by SoulAssassin
                      I dislike the lifting of fog of war because it isn't realistic at all. Look at Vietnam. Crap, just look at Afghanistan. All those million/billion dollar satelites are useless in the hills where the Taliban hide.
                      But useful for larger troop movement. I think there should be a way to lift the fog in the late game.

Comment

Actually Civ2 DID have a fog of war, just an invisible one (once you moved away from the troops, and they moved, they disappeared.)

I could personally care less about a global FOW lifting at any point in the game, though I hope that if it does, I don't have to suffer through watching each enemy Mech. Inf. move 30 times back and forth through the same two railroad spaces...

PS SoulAssasin, love your signature... just saw them about 3 weeks ago right after the Sep.11 crap, and they played "Holy Wars" and then finished an encore with "Peace Sells." Dave made an executive decision to skip "Anarchy in the UK," which, in my eyes, was a brilliantly respectable decission.
                        "You don't have to be modest if you know you're right."- L. Rigdon

Comment

Originally posted by SoulAssassin
                          As was said earlier it is used for troop movements.

And we can see all of the Taliban troops.

What we can't see are the Al-Qaeda forces. But those are like spies which, in Civ III, cannot be seen so yeah!

I think either the Apollo Program or Satelites will do something for FoW. I also plan to make a Spy Plane unit (if it doesn't exist) to help with FoW.
                          Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
                          "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

I wouldn't mind the fog of war being lifted permanently with satellites etc, it dosen't have to slow down things showing ever single unit movement.
                            I'd like it so I could see what the other civs are doing, watching their wars and just for fun basically.

but you ought to be able to reveal whole map with Cheats, so as long as that works, I can keep up my voyeuristic tendancies spying on the computers game :>

Comment

Originally posted by cassembler
                              I could personally care less about a global FOW lifting at any point in the game, though I hope that if it does, I don't have to suffer through watching each enemy Mech. Inf. move 30 times back and forth through the same two railroad spaces...
                              It would be cool if you could choose the area you want to see. You would make a square in the specified area and next turn you would see the enemy's movements in that particular area. Of course that would be possible only after the discover of satellites
                              Visit Gamacather (GC)!

Comment

Working...
                              X