No announcement yet.

All Questions About Trade Answered

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

so sitting outside a zulu port now has an added bonus.
    "I've lived too long with pain. I won't know who I am without it. We have to leave this place, I am almost happy here."
    - Ender, from Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card

Comment

What wonder about is this:
      Let's say there are several civilizations (well, obviously). Let's say my civilization has a certain resource. Let's say it is iron. Now, all the other civilizations are willing to pay me 10 lumps of gold (or pieces, or coins, or units, or whatever gold is measured in) per turn for my iron. Now, let's say I have found all the sources of iron in the world and control them. (also, I am so powerful, that the other civilization will never be able to take the iron from me by the means of war). So, what I am wondering about is, will the prices for iron go up then? Would the other civilizations be "willing" to pay me more for the iron, since there is no other way to get it?

In other words, are the prices the civilizations would pay for certain resources predefined, or are they dynamic, depending on the supply of the resource, which is more likely.
      XBox Live: VovanSim
      xbox.com (login required)
      Halo 3 Service Record (I fail at FPS...)
      Spore page

Comment

Another question not answered...

Can one harbor connection trade all of your resources. I hope not... I hope that one harbor can only send and receive a limited number of resources.
        Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
        "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

Originally posted by Lorizael
          Another question not answered...

Can one harbor connection trade all of your resources. I hope not... I hope that one harbor can only send and receive a limited number of resources.
          What you are saying would be more realistic, but I doubt that's how they implemented it. I'd bet that one harbor is enough to trade everything, provided of course that it has an explored and traversable path to the harbors of the other civs.
          Firaxis - please make an updated version of Colonization! That game was the best, even if it was a little un-PC.

Comment

Originally posted by albiedamned

What you are saying would be more realistic, but I doubt that's how they implemented it. I'd bet that one harbor is enough to trade everything, provided of course that it has an explored and traversable path to the harbors of the other civs.
            I'll be fine however it turns out. But I don't think my suggestion would too difficult to implement.

But even if you only need one harbor, until the endgame at which point you have airports, if you only have that one harbor, that harbor will need to be able to "see" all of the other harbors you want to trade with. Which means that more than one harbor will be useful, especially considering naval blockades and the like.
            "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

Here is another question. Say A want to trade with B, but does not have direct trade root. However A has right of passage with C, and connected with C by road. However C is connected to B not by road, but say, through airport. In this case can A send goods to C by road and then to B by airport?
              The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so
              certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts.
              -- Bertrand Russell

Comment

Originally posted by MxM
                Here is another question. Say A want to trade with B, but does not have direct trade root. However A has right of passage with C, and connected with C by road. However C is connected to B not by road, but say, through airport. In this case can A send goods to C by road and then to B by airport?
                If a train is heading east...

I think that only direct trade routes would be allowed in Civ III. I don't think the AI could handle it that way. You could indirectly do it by finding out that B wants say, horses, and that C wants iron. You give C both horses and iron for something else, and C trades the horses to B for something else. But I think that would be difficult to engineer.

That's one way where MP wins out over SP. The ability to communicate ideas and agreements.

Comment

Originally posted by Lorizael

I'll be fine however it turns out. But I don't think my suggestion would too difficult to implement.

But even if you only need one harbor, until the endgame at which point you have airports, if you only have that one harbor, that harbor will need to be able to "see" all of the other harbors you want to trade with. Which means that more than one harbor will be useful, especially considering naval blockades and the like.
                  Agreed. Although you probably only need one harbor which can "see" your trading partners, it would obviously be wise to build multiple harbors. Plus if it has the same effect as in Civ2 of increasing the food from sea squares, then you'll probably want to build multiple harbors anyway.
                  Firaxis - please make an updated version of Colonization! That game was the best, even if it was a little un-PC.

Comment

Working...
                  X