No announcement yet.

9+ civs and the screens: cured!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I agree. Although it is nice to be able to see the other 8 leaders, having to "shift-right click" to add the leaders, note who they have what relations with, then swap them out will be _very_ clunky indeed.

Let's hope they can patch or otherwise change the view screen so that all 16 could be visible at once. On 1024 X 768 resolution they could easily shrink the leader portraits by 50% and fit them all in.

Of course, all this assumes they really want to make the screens "streamlined" for all game options and not simply the options "they think" work best.

Sixteen civ's will be nice but looks like you'll have to swap out leaders a lot to get the full picture...

Comment

Originally posted by Ozymandous
      On 1024 X 768 resolution they could easily shrink the leader portraits by 50% and fit them all in.
      This may work, but would it be readable? 120 possible lines connecting 16 nodes arranged in a circle... I don't think you'll be able to tell which line is which!

Comment

There's probably an embassy screen like in Civ2 where it lists all the treaties (up to 15) for each civ, so this 8-pic limit is no great loss. Something to fix in the patch

Comment

Originally posted by RedWhiteArcher
          I don't get it. Why going gold mean that no further changes can be made?
          the product is no longer at firaxis, final copies are being made and shipped to stores and have been for about a week. adding some extra feature with a patch isn't going to happen, and if it does the quality probably won't be too good.

Comment

This may work, but would it be readable? 120 possible lines connecting 16 nodes arranged in a circle... I don't think you'll be able to tell which line is which!
            I agree, and if i play with the full 16 civs, which i doubt will be very often, i would be surprised if i really need to see 16 portraits at the same time.

I would have thought that for most games and scenarios that 10 civs would more than enough

Comment

Actually I think that all 16 at once would be very cluttered and hard to read. If you can swap out certain pics for the ones you want to see, at least you know what you're looking at. I think playing 16 civs... no matter what... is gonna be difficult. All those relations to keep track of...
              Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
              "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

You don't need to see all those lines and stuff, just maintain a state of war with all races all the time.

Comment

Yah, BigBopper... but most of us want to win the game
                  Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
                  "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

Originally posted by Stuie
                    Isn't that what we're for?
                    Unfortunately it does appear that those buying the games are simply paying beta testers. It shouldn't be that way but it is.
                    About 24,000 people die every day from hunger or hunger-related causes. With a simple click daily at the Hunger Site you can provide food for those who need it.

Comment

It's not the ideal solution, but I'll take it! I was expecting to be without any information or contact screens for more than the 8 civs which were supported, so this is a definite improvement on my expectations. That was the one thing that was getting me down (so I know how you MP people feel, though that's not high on my wish list, and this was). This is great news for me!

Comment

Agreed.

I had finally learned to live with the idea I'd never have more than 8 civs in a game working properly after Ctp. Firaxis has restored my faith.

Now all they need to do is give me MAD and Civil Wars and I'll be verily pleased
                        A witty quote proves nothing. - Voltaire

Comment

seeing all the relationships

Seeing ALL the relationships -- that is SO Unhistorical
                          Neglecting (or being ignorant of) occasional "minor" countries is how it's done in real life.
                          See, this is a realism bonus!

OTH, they could perhaps (ahem) use a 16x16, square matrix, ala CtP. Since there seems to be only 4 or 5 different types of relationships, and most of those go both ways, you could fit those in with just the civ names and skip the leaders. It would fill up most of the screen, and you would have the option to print it.

Each different type of relationship would be indicated by a different symbol. Since you have the potential for at least 2 types of relationships between any 2 civs (e.g., Peace, Military Alliance with/against), there would have to be some economy in the graphic real estate department.

This would come in handy with the MP add-on!

---
                          On the THIRD Hand, have we even seen the "Trades" screen, the other tab on the "Treaties" screen??

Comment

Unfortunately it does appear that those buying the games are simply paying beta testers. It shouldn't be that way but it is.
                            I agree, but I'd rather have the option to play 16 civ's with a few bugs than to not have the option at all.

Bugs can be killed, almost as easily as Civ2 AI.

(I hope Civ2's AI programmer isn't taking all of the Civ2 AI bashing personally... I'd have no idea where to start!)
                            "You don't have to be modest if you know you're right."- L. Rigdon

Comment

Working...
                            X