No announcement yet.

It's a bughunt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well, I will gladly help when the oppurtunity (me finding a bug) presents itself. Normally I would have committed myself to a greater (more important) position than bug hunter, but I'm not sure if I would be able to live up to that committment because of possible time restraints that might occur for myself. With that being said I am going to try my best to contribute to the 'bug list'.

BTW, thank you especially Korn and also everybody else for willing to donate your time for the better of the Civ community.
    However, it is difficult to believe that 2 times 2 does not equal 4; does that make it true? On the other hand, is it really so difficult simply to accept everything that one has been brought up on and that has gradually struck deep roots – what is considered truth in the circle of moreover, really comforts and elevates man? Is that more difficult than to strike new paths, fighting the habitual, experiencing the insecurity of independence and the frequent wavering of one’s feelings and even one’s conscience, proceeding often without any consolation, but ever with the eternal goal of the true, the beautiful, and the good? - F.N.

Comment

Originally posted by korn469
      Provost Harrison

hehe cool
      how does this sound, you get 3 points if you are the first person to post a bug that later gets verified and you get 2 points if you are the first person who verifies a bug...however a person cannot verify their own bugs

so using this thread as an example (this thread is certainly not the official bug list, it is just a sign up thread for bug hunters)

since you were the first person to post about the editor screen bug you would get three points and since grampos verified it he would get two points

also i will award a free point if the bug is especially nasty...like if you hit alt tab and it erases your hard drive or something
      You could always just reopen the list forum.

'Cept now call it "List of suggestions for Civ III PATCH for Firaxis
      A witty quote proves nothing. - Voltaire

Comment

anyone else wanna help out?

Comment

Korn,

As you can see from the 'Bugs' section of http://www.trakoria.f2s.com I originally had an idea of an on-line bug database with as much info, pictures and savefiles available. I would be more then happy to work in collaboration with you and your 'team' to get this up and running. Unfortunatly it appears Civ3 will not be out in Australia till the 19th of November, so I persoanlly will not be able to help till then. What do you think?

Comment

heardie

well you will only be a few weeks behind so there will be plenty of time for your help

originally had an idea of an on-line bug database with as much info, pictures and savefiles available
            that it probably slightly more than we need...a detailed description and a savegame should be enough, we would only put in more effort if firaxis request more info etc for a certain bug

hopefully firaxis will move fairly quickly on the patches so we will at least have to worry about all new sets of bugs as the game evolves...but i would love to have your help, the more people that help the better the final outcome and the less work any one person has to do

Comment

Originally posted by ChrisShaffer

Huh? I dunno about you, but I want the AI to be the smartest, meanest, sneakiest, best opponent possible.
              Be careful what you wish for! I wonder how long anyone would play if the AI beat you every time, no matter how hard you tried?

Comment

Originally posted by fluffy

Be careful what you wish for! I wonder how long anyone would play if the AI beat you every time, no matter how hard you tried?
                I said I wanted the best AI possible, not that I wanted an AI that can beat me every time I play. You assume that it's possible to program an AI that can do this, I don't. I think the best possible AI will provide a decent challenge, not that it will be insurmountable.

Comment

I love the idea of a locked, topped thread where bugs are listed in Firaxis's preferred format. Just what I had in mind. An added recommendation: fixed bugs should be kept on the list, marked as "fixed in patch x.xx". This keeps "old" bugs from being reported, and also gives an indication of weakenesses in the code (often the same bug keeps popping up under different guises).

I volunteer as a bug hunter and verifier. I see the MP develpment time as an ideal opportunity to tighten up the game.

Pedantry alert:

The screenshot in this thread shows dates as, e.g., "250 AD." Correct form is "AD 250", as in Civ II.

Comment

here is the firaxis responce

I talked with the QA team and they asked that you guys send reproducable
                    bugs to bugreport@firaxis.com.

Thanks.

Kelley

Kelley Gilmore
                    Communications Manager
                    Firaxis Games
                    410-891-3001 x131
                    kgilmore@firaxis.com
                    so that means we need a detailed description of the bug and at least one save game that reproduces the bug...so it looks like we are on track

i suggestion that only the bug list admins send the bug report and the save game, and when they do they post "sent to firaxis" so we don't flood their inbox with the reports of the same bug

DaveV

i really liked your idea about putting a fixed in patch x.xx beside of the bugs firaxis has taken care of, so consider that done

Comment

Okeldedokey!
                      Destruction is a lot easier than construction. The guy who operates a wrecking ball has a easier time than the architect who has to rebuild the house from the pieces.--- Immortal Wombat.

Comment

Korn,

I just wanted to say thanks for starting such a professional, well thought out thread. It's so refreshing to see this kind of thinking, instead of mindless blather and gripes. It is good to see somebody like you posting on Apolyton.

Thanks.

Comment

Colonel Kraken

hey no problem, i believe that if we work together as a team (again ) that we could really help firaxis out, i just hope this has a lot of participation

Comment

So, who will be the list admins?
                            Creator of the Civ3MultiTool

Comment

well whoever volunteers to be first come first serve basis until we have five, so if that is a yes, then it is you and me so far as list admins, with possibly skanky burns and tniem

Comment

I wish I'd help, bur I simply don't have the time. I don't even have the time right now to play at my content, so just imagine when Civ III AND MoO3 will be both released....aargggh! One thing's for sure: I WON'T have the time to check EVERY DAY the upcoming bug list. At least I can report any bug I'll find, and I'll do it gladly, but without checking if it is already and widely spotted. If you want I can eventually VERIFY specific bug(s) within a particular game I'm playing - it can be a good idea also if some MORE available apolytoners can organize a group which each player is playing a different game with distinct starting settings, thus seeing how bugs are widely imprinted in the whole game ( just an idea, again I share thoughts here at Apolyton as often as I can- but I really like to keep the spare moments I have for playing ). So my hat is off to you all workaholics working as a team for the civ community.
                                The art of mastering:"la Maîtrise des caprices du subconscient avant tout".

Comment

Working...
                                X