No announcement yet.

It's a bughunt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Korn: Big round of applause for you! I know from experience that EVERY legit bug we reported in our Top 10 list for SMAC ver 4.0 got fixed. I would like to just say that what you are about to do is important because:

** There were only be so many patches: Perhaps 4? We were a bit disorganized on SMAC and probably could have accomplished much more had we started as you are before the game is even released.

** Having this kind of effort will naturally give people a place to report problems and feel that something might be done about them. This will help keep the forum far more positive overall.

Yes, you are all going to be 'unpaid beta-testers' in a sense. In a larger sense, however, you are also helping what might be the last major version of Civ (from Firaxis anyway) be the best possible. For that: 3 cheers!

Anyway, if you haven't seen Korn's leadership and organizational skills in action, you are in for a real treat. I apologize in advance, of course, that I will not have the game for several months and can't contribute much to this effort. I will say, once again: This is VERY important...good luck!
    I've been on these boards for a long time and I still don't know what to think when it comes to you -- FrantzX, December 21, 2001

"Yin": Your friendly, neighborhood negative cosmic force.

Comment

Originally posted by GodSpawn
      Provost: It looks like the corner of the city has been sheared off by the unit sitting next to it.
      It looks more like a tile improvement maybe mine to me notice it doesn't have a health bar. This could be a problem with the tile improvements.
      Hang on I 'll try to find another pic with a tile improvement like a mine beside a city.

I'll try to break this game anyway I can. In other words I'll do all I can to help.
      Destruction is a lot easier than construction. The guy who operates a wrecking ball has a easier time than the architect who has to rebuild the house from the pieces.--- Immortal Wombat.

Comment

Originally posted by yin26

Yes, you are all going to be 'unpaid beta-testers' in a sense.
        Hell I'm already an unpaid graphics guy why not unpaid beta tester too

no not graphics for civ3.
        Destruction is a lot easier than construction. The guy who operates a wrecking ball has a easier time than the architect who has to rebuild the house from the pieces.--- Immortal Wombat.

Comment

I will not go out of my way looking for bugs. I want to enjoy the game and have fun. Nevertheless I will post the bugs I find in the game. I won't be checking to see if it's already been reported though, because I don't want to ruin the game; just like I'm going to avoid reading about strategy's, I will also avoid reading about bugs. So sombody will have to check it that bug has already been posted.

Comment

Yep, sign me up for bug-testing (and verifying)
            Ill do whatever i can to get Civ 3 as good as i can, and i applaud your effort Korn

"Its an ugly planet, a Bug planet. A planet hostile to life"
            "Kill, kill them all!!!"
            "Shoot a nuke down a bug-hole, you've got a lot of dead bugs"
            - Starship Troopers
            I'm building a wagon! On some other part of the internets, obviously (but not that other site).

Comment

yin

thanks for the compliments, hopefully by the time you get your copy of civ3 most of the bugs will have been patched

dennis

no problem, you post the bug and we will take care of it from there

as the various lists have demonstrated, the community is great at find things, and i hope bugs turn out to be another thing we can find and then let firaxis eradicate

Comment

Korn,

I have told you in the past that I am very interested in helping out in any way I can. I want to see how this all goes down. So of course if I find a bug or can help verify one I will.

That said, at the top you mentioned administrative positions helping you out with lists and what not. If you need help with this, just explain more what you mean and I would be honored to help out in the effort. In my opinion this is going to be a privilage, thanks in advance for all the work that you are going to put into it.
                About 24,000 people die every day from hunger or hunger-related causes. With a simple click daily at the Hunger Site you can provide food for those who need it.

Comment

tniem

as for the admins

we certainly need more than one, just in case...i mean anything could happen and without a designated replacement it could throw the entire process off track

but their job should be this

we have a single official bug listed topped in the correct forum, one administrator will maintain this list, in the same way as gramphos's resource list, or ribbanah's wonder list or my unit list
                  the other admins besides acting as replacements will look for the new bugs threads, then check it against the list to make sure no bugs get duplicated so if a player like dennis finds a bug and posts it, that it will not be on the list twice...if the bug is new they post it to the official bug thread (along with the name of first person to find it), so it can then be added to the list

not only that they will need to work with the bug verifiers to make sure that every bug on the list has at least one (if not two) save games for firaxis...the admins will also need to keep up with the first person to verify a bug

so they maintain the bug list, act as replacements, work with verifiers to make sure that we can prove the existance of all of the bugs on our list, and to make sure that each bug on the list is an individual bug...we don't want to send firaxis three of the same kinds of bugs

that being said we won't need that many admins, maybe five total

the big area of need is probably dedicated bug verifiers or game breakers

also all of these jobs are fairly informal so anyone can help find or verify bugs, however for the sake of order the bug hunt admins should have the sole responsibility for maintaining an accurate and up to date official bug list

and even if there are some hiccups along the way, no problem we will work them out...i hope we will have success in this effort, and out of everything this should prove to have very tangible results

Comment

Wait a minute, I posted about that bug in the site-updated thread before. I posted before PH, and also I thought PH meant another bug.
                    Creator of the Civ3MultiTool

Comment

Originally posted by dennis580
                      I will not go out of my way looking for bugs. I want to enjoy the game and have fun. Nevertheless I will post the bugs I find in the game. I won't be checking to see if it's already been reported though, because I don't want to ruin the game; just like I'm going to avoid reading about strategy's, I will also avoid reading about bugs. So sombody will have to check it that bug has already been posted.
                      Same here.

Good work korn!
                      My Website: www.geocities.com/civcivciv2002/index.html
                      My Forums: http://pub92.ezboard.com/bacivcommunity

Comment

korn,

I really would like to help, but unfortunately Firaxis and Infogrames still don't have a Civ3 release date where I live (as stated in the last Ask the Team update). So I think I won't be playing the game as soon as you guys , but, anyway, I congratulate you for your initiative and I hope that the bug list compiled by Apolytoners really help Firaxis to crush the bugs that will inevitably be found.

Good luck.
                        I watched you fall. I think I pushed.

Comment

Gramphos

nothing has been counted yet
                          but anyways i just hope we can be really helpful to firaxis

Comment

I strongly encourage you to include "AI stupidities / weaknesses" in your bug list. While not strictly bugs, it would be great if we could provide Firaxis with a list of AI exploits that should be patched.

Comment

Good idea, but we don't want the AI to become too powerful...
                              The greatest generals in history didn't use war simulations, they just played Civ 2

An old saying goes "For every language a man knows, he is that many times a man"
                              Therefore, George Bush is half a man.

Comment

Originally posted by BLackraven42
                                Good idea, but we don't want the AI to become too powerful...
                                Huh? I dunno about you, but I want the AI to be the smartest, meanest, sneakiest, best opponent possible.

Comment

Working...
                                X